Indydebi's Bc Problems

Decorating By Mamatoboys Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm by Mamatoboys

Mamatoboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mamatoboys Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 10

I've just recently begun using indydebi's buttercream recipe (on maybe 5 cakes). I've followed the receipe exactly, but when I go to smooth it using the viva method, I get these small hairline like cracks all over the cake. Any idea of what I'm doing wrong?

9 replies
LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 10

Has it crusted too much by the time you use the paper towel?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 10

Letting it crust too long or your board not being strong enough and flexing when you move it.

Mamatoboys Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 10

thanks for the replies! How "crusted" should it be before I use the paper towel? Usually I wait about 10 mins then test it by patting the cake with my fingertip. If the icing sticks to my finger, I wait longer, if not then I start smoothing.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 10

I smooth mine as soon as it crusts. Sometimes that is under 5 mins.

When are you noticing the cracks? Is it when you are smoothing or sometime after?

Ayanami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ayanami Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 10

I've been using Debs BC recipe for over a year now & i noticed a difference (cracks & such) when i used different brands of shortening. i have since returned to using Crisco (instead of store brands) & my problems have disappeared.

HTH
Casey

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:36am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayanami

I've been using Debs BC recipe for over a year now & i noticed a difference (cracks & such) when i used different brands of shortening. i have since returned to using Crisco (instead of store brands) & my problems have disappeared.

HTH
Casey

Me too. I have the best results with this icing when I use Crisco.

OP..did you use a different brand of shortening?

Mamatoboys Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:38pm
post #8 of 10

Nope, I've only used Crisco. I notice the cracks after I'm done smoothing. Kind of like the frosting is drying out. Do you think decreasing the amount of drem whip would help?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoboys

Nope, I've only used Crisco. I notice the cracks after I'm done smoothing. Kind of like the frosting is drying out. Do you think decreasing the amount of drem whip would help?

How much milk are you adding? I know the recipe says 1/3 to 1/2 cup per batch. I know that when I make a double batch I may use a wee bit more than 1 cup to get the perfect consistency. It may just be that you're not adding enough liquid.

Mamatoboys Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #10 of 10

thanks mamawrobin, I'll try that next time. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%