Well If I Have To... I Guess...

Lounge By kansaslaura Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 1:26am by tesso

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:14am
post #1 of 12

My father-in-law was a baker in the Navy back in WWII. I am in awe in what he was able to accomplish in the tight space and time frame he was given. At that time they baked all the bread that was eaten on the ship, all the pies, cookies, cakes were made from scratch and fresh. He learned his craft from the Navy.

He doesn't take kindly to my husband talking about how he LOVES what I cook/bake--how it's the best.. yum yum.. DH does tend to go on too much at times, I've poked him to stop.

Well, today DH calls me all excited that his father actually wants one of my recipes. WHAT??!???? The man will hardly acknowledge I know the difference between an oven and a sink, let alone ask for a recipe. He "needs" my pie crust recipe. You see, he too has fallen victim to the trans-fat free Crisco. He says his pie crusts now turn out awful. My husband, on several occasions has told him how good my pie crusts are.. I'm sure the old guy has been rolling his eyes and swallowing the bile that rises in his throat.

My DH tells me that FIL made a pie the other day with a commercial pie crust and that was awful, so he guesses he needs my recipe.

I quickly check the weather report for HE**--nope no freezing rain predicted!! I'm underwhelmed... DH can't understand why I'm not dancing on the ceiling because of the request. I explained to him that FIL exhausted every possible avenue before he had to admit maybe he should try mine.

Remember the Everybody Loves Raymond episode where Marie glues a label over another spice and gives it to Debra to make a recipe?? Evil laugh... do I dare?? icon_evil.gif

11 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:32am
post #2 of 12

That's too funny. icon_lol.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 12

You're nicer than me. I wouldn't give it to him unless he asked me directly.

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 12

Until he asks you directly i would so change an ingredient or amount!!! icon_lol.gif ok so maybe i wouldnt but i would think about it lol

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:11pm
post #5 of 12

Oh, just give him the pie crust recipe for crying out loud. It's not like you invented it, did you? People have funny ways of ackowledging to us that they accept and approve of us. Older men are generally not great about saying things to women like:

You're right
You do that better than I do
I was wrong

Let him save face and have a decent pie before he dies!!

P.S. I really, truly hate the passive-aggressive "change an ingredient" thing. If you don't share recipes, just say so. Don't let me waste ingredients and time making something awful. That's just ugly.

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 12

That's funny. At least you know he knows you're good. And now HE knows you know he knows.....that's probably punishment enough.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 10:47pm
post #7 of 12

But just think, if you give him the recipe...every time he makes a pie you can say "mmm, this is good, did you use my pie crust recipe again?" with an evil grin icon_twisted.gif .

kansaslaura Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:16pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Oh, just give him the pie crust recipe for crying out loud. It's not like you invented it, did you? People have funny ways of ackowledging to us that they accept and approve of us. Older men are generally not great about saying things to women like:

You're right
You do that better than I do
I was wrong

Let him save face and have a decent pie before he dies!!

P.S. I really, truly hate the passive-aggressive "change an ingredient" thing. If you don't share recipes, just say so. Don't let me waste ingredients and time making something awful. That's just ugly.

It's a recipe, not that it really matters, that I worked over until I got it "right" He's got the recipe. I e-mailed it before I put my *supposed to be humorous (be it hidden from some)* post...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:49pm
post #9 of 12

I luv Raymond's mom!

kansaslaura Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:22am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I luv Raymond's mom!

I love the way his mom and dad go at it.. zing zinggg... zinnggggg and at the end of the day love each other!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I luv Raymond's mom!

I love the way his mom and dad go at it.. zing zinggg... zinnggggg and at the end of the day love each other!

we've had a couple of friends say that hubby and I sound like the Barone's! icon_lol.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:26am
post #12 of 12

that is funny, thanks for sharing. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%