Question On Mff Colour

Decorating By kirigami Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 3:51am by mamawrobin

kirigami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirigami Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 5

I made my first batch of MFF last night, finally had all the ingredients I have always been making MMF but read that this was better. I found it easy to make and liked the texture of it. I coloured the liquid blue before adding the powdered sugar. So I am wondering what the colour would be on its own. The liquid looked kind of yellowy from the 2 TBSP of butter. It looked like the fondant would be off white.

For those of you that make this recipe all the time can you let me know what the finished fondant looks like.

Also is there any place that sells glycerin in bulk. I paid $2.29 for a 2oz bottle. I guess it would only make 2-3 batches.

Thanks

4 replies
TrixieTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TrixieTreats Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 5

The uncolored MFF is just about a pure white. I does look off white when it is in the liquid stage, but once you add in the sugar...it is pure white.

There are several places online that sell food grade glycerin in larger quantities. Lots of natural food and supplement online stores. But, I have also read on here that people find it at WalMart...but not in the grocery section. I personally have not looked there.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #3 of 5

You can find glycerin at Wal-Mart in the pharmacy department. Just make sure that it's 100% vegetable glycerin with no additives. The pharmacist can tell you which one is ok to use. thumbs_up.gif I paid under $4.00 for a 6oz. bottle.

I use MFF exclusively and make several batches each week. I don't know which of her recipes you used but I know that one says milk and another says heavy cream. I use half and half in mine rather than cream so that it is pure white. If you use heavy cream it will be a little off white (not much) but not white/white like it is using milk or half and half. I use Crisco instead of the butter and water instead of the milk (half and half) when I need a dairy free fondant.

I agree with the pp that it does look a little off white until you've added the powdered sugar. But...it will be white....to answer your question. thumbs_up.gif

kirigami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kirigami Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:22am
post #4 of 5

Thanks so much guys. I used homo milk as that is what I had on hand.
I will take your advice Mamawrobin and try using crisco instead of butter.

Also, do you know if this recipe can be halved?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:51am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirigami

Thanks so much guys. I used homo milk as that is what I had on hand.
I will take your advice Mamawrobin and try using crisco instead of butter.

Also, do you know if this recipe can be halved?

I don't see why it couldn't. I've never had a need to make only 1/2 a batch so I never have.

When I use this fondant to cover a dummy, I use water instead of milk, omit the flavoring and use Crisco instead of the butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%