Anyone Watching Fabulous Cakes?

Lounge By mindy1204 Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 6:25pm by Rachel5370

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:31am
post #1 of 62

I have a questions. Do you guys send you cakes out not in a box? Even if delivering my cakes they go in a shipping box with cling over so dirt and stuff doesnt get in them.

Also they put the cake in the trunk. She was complaining the heat in the bakery was too hot dont you think the trunk would be too?

61 replies
Geechigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Geechigirl Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:52am
post #2 of 62

If I am delivering a larger cake, I do not put it in a box. However, if I have a customer picking it up, I do put it in a box.

As far as the trunk, I NEVER recommend putting it in the trunk!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:20am
post #3 of 62

I was shocked by the trunk too. I shouted "Nooooooo! Not the trunk! " at the TV, but of course no one listened to me. icon_biggrin.gif

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:43am
post #4 of 62

That was wierd, putting the cake in the trunk. What I was also surprised about was the beautiful tatto engagement cake- she didn't torte and fill it. And it was made out of poundcake- which would be dry because it was baked in giant deep pans and would have to bake for a loooong time. That cake really needed to be torted and filled! But- what I do like about the show is that it tries to be somewhat instructional and informative- more so than some other cake shows. I like all of them for different reasons (except DC Cupcakes- I don't care for it).

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:22am
post #5 of 62

I thought some of the cakes were good while some not so great. Liked the show. I liked the earth cake............she did a nice job.

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:38am
post #6 of 62

I really liked the show.

I also didn't like the cake in the trunk. how are they gonna know if the cake is ok, if they took a hard turn or hit a bump by the time they got to the party the cake is all over the trunk rolling around.

I didn't like how the bowling cake came out, but she did an awesome job on the tattoo cake.

as for the bike wheel cake I was liking it at first when they were making the items, but once they put it all together I was like "what is that? what did they due to the cake?"

Over all I really do like the show it's all about the cakes, not like some of the other show like cake boss and ace of cakes that they go on field trips so they can get a feel for the cake. I do like watching their shows just wish they would cut that out and show more info on their cakes.

As for DC Cupcakes I don't care for it either
also Cupcake Wars I don't care for it either.

I still enjoy watching all of the Amazing Wedding Cakes re-run. I wonder if they are going to have a new season.

If I'm not mistaken in the first show last week didn't they say how much the cake would cost . I remember it saying in the first show with the lady making the sushi boat cake it said that a cake like that would be about 3,000.00. and they said how much the puppet cake was but can't remember. but in this week I didn't see that. or did i miss it.

Can't wait to see more....

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 11:18am
post #7 of 62

I really enjoy the show. I was just surprised by some of the things they did.

I really loved the tattoo cake, it was awesome. Even my husband said wow that is an awesome cake.

I still dont get the trunk thing. And I will probably always box my cakes, we live in Florida home of the bugs and instant rain. I am always worried something will get into them.

flourgirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgirlz Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 62

I was wondering the same thing about the trunk and no box. You would think someone would question if it would be ok like that!

By the way, the new season of Amazing Wedding Cakes starts August 29!!!

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:43pm
post #9 of 62

I like the show....moreso than the other ones that are on right now....not so much drama and more about the cakes themselves.
Shaddi - I didn't see the pricing for this show either. The previous one with the sushi boat and puppet cakes did list the price - $3000 and $15000 respectively. I LOVED the fact that they listed the pricing so the general public had an idea of what things cost for a change!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:19pm
post #10 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADDI

Can't stand those two shows either! I was laughing at DC Cupcakes "signature swirl" last week... signature? I've been icing cupcakes that way since I was 13!

Can't stand Cupcake Wars.

Can't wait for Amazing Wedding Cakes to start Aug. 29th.

Really like this show and have to admit that, even though I know you are not supposed to, I have transported cakes in my trunk. I don't have a big enough car to do anything other than that. I pack them in a tote or a box with a non-stick pad underneath both the cake and the tote/box itself. I have been lucky so far. I know that people speak of the heat in the trunk as detrimental to the cake. I'm a hobby baker, so my cakes are just going to family functions, etc. which is never very far. I use that as my rationalization... I really don't have much else as a choice and I've heard holding the cake in your lap is even worse!

icon_redface.gif

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:28pm
post #11 of 62
Quote:

Agreed, but I have learned a lot about cupcake murals. icon_cool.gif

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 2:46pm
post #12 of 62

I am really enjoying Fabulous Cakes. I agree....box the cakes and cover them icon_smile.gif

Not a fan of the DC Cupcake show....way too scripted for me.

I'm so excited to know that Amazing Wedding Cakes is starting again Aug. 29th! I've been scanning the channel daily to make sure I don't miss the first one because I didn't know when the new season would start.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:04pm
post #13 of 62

I noticed that they only gave the prices of cakes on the first show. I was so excited abou that. But they did not give any prices on the show last night. Darn it!!! Maybe it will be random, depending on if the bakery wants to give that info out.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:12pm
post #14 of 62

I really didn't care for the tattoo engagement cake. I thought the hand painting and overall design was awesome, but the cake structure looked very sloppy. The tiers weren't tapered, which I thought made them look stumpy. The edges were very rounded, and that short, rounded over top tier almost looked like a muffin to me. It wasn't sitting level. Wow...I sound really critical lol . Not trying to be--it just didn't look that well done to me.

Yeah, the earth cake looked great, and I loved the boat cake. The bicycle wheel didn't bowl me over as far as looks, but the execution was great. The sugar work was awesome...don't see a lot of that anymore, and I really appreciate the whole "totally edible" thing.

Afterward, I watched Cake Boss (or whatever they're gonna call it now!), which I don't do very often, and I was amazed at how little attention is paid to the actual CAKE, and how much time they spend goofing off, going on field trips, and generally acting like boobs. I don't want to watch a cake show to see a bunch of bakers having an '80's fashion show or hosing each other with cake batter. Don't think I'll be making it a priority to watch again.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:14pm
post #15 of 62

I really like the show...Last nights episode was good but did not think the workmanship of the Bowling cake was very good..Even the revised one with the airbrushed cake..Those blobby bowling pins pasted on the side of the cake and the fondant work on the top pin looked horrible...like a child made them..JMO...anyway...The rest was good...The sugar artistry was awesome...

Babykay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Babykay Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:41pm
post #16 of 62

I really didn't like the bowling cake either. I understand that she ran out of time due to the fondant and heating problems, but it looked sloppy to me.

jcstefanick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcstefanick Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:56pm
post #17 of 62

I also like fabulous cakes because it shows more of the actual cake decorating vs the drama of the family or coworkers. It's also nice that it's not the same decorators/shops every week, so you can see a much better variety of tools, techniques, designs and personalities. it's closer to what you get on CC! icon_smile.gif

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:00pm
post #18 of 62

Did she use a credit card to smooth the buttercream on the tatoo cake?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:01pm
post #19 of 62

I also liked the way she used a strip of waxpaper or whatever it was to smooth the globe cake...

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:18pm
post #20 of 62
Quote:

I really liked the show.

I also didn't like the cake in the trunk. how are they gonna know if the cake is ok, if they took a hard turn or hit a bump by the time they got to the party the cake is all over the trunk rolling around.

I didn't like how the bowling cake came out, but she did an awesome job on the tattoo cake.

as for the bike wheel cake I was liking it at first when they were making the items, but once they put it all together I was like "what is that? what did they due to the cake?"

Over all I really do like the show it's all about the cakes, not like some of the other show like and ace of cakes that they go on field trips so they can get a feel for the cake. I do like watching their shows just wish they would cut that out and show more info on their cakes.

I still enjoy watching all of the Amazing Wedding Cakes re-run. I wonder if they are going to have a new season.

If I'm not mistaken in the first show last week didn't they say how much the cake would cost . I remember it saying in the first show with the lady making the sushi boat cake it said that a cake like that would be about 3,000.00. and they said how much the puppet cake was but can't remember. but in this week I didn't see that. or did i miss it.

Can't wait to see more....

The puppet cake ended up being $15,000

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:35pm
post #21 of 62

I loved the show last week, and love the concept of this show it seems more authentic than the other cake shows. However one of the things I appreciated most in the first episode they failed to do this week and that was to include the PRICE. I really wish that they would consistently do that. People need to understand what the going rates are for these custom creations.

travelingcakeplate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travelingcakeplate Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #22 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyNoQ

Did she use a credit card to smooth the buttercream on the tatoo cake?

Yeah, it looked like something similar to that?

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:12pm
post #23 of 62

Glad to see I'm not the only one not digging the stupid cupcake shows, I'm also burnt out Buddys and Duffs. I do look forward to Amazing Wedding Cakes though, and have yet to check out Fabulous Cakes. I wish there was a show with Ron Ben Israel, or Mike McCarey, or Toba Garrett.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:18pm
post #24 of 62

I watched it with the puppet cake and the sushi boat cake. I was fascinated by it. I thought it was really interesting. I enjoyed seeing each decorator and how they approached their cake and what techniques they used. Really good show. I'm going to keep watching this.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:34pm
post #25 of 62

I hate that Buddy & Company spend so much time tormenting the delivery boys and going on those side trips . He is such talented cake decorator (both with fondant and piping bag) and I just want to see him produce spectacular cakes. I hate all the drama.

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:41pm
post #26 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

Glad to see I'm not the only one not digging the stupid cupcake shows, I'm also burnt out Buddys and Duffs. I do look forward to Amazing Wedding Cakes though, and have yet to check out Fabulous Cakes. I wish there was a show with Ron Ben Israel, or Mike McCarey, or Toba Garrett.

Ditto!
Also didn't like the fact that one of the cake decorator's had really long, painted nails!!! You need to either cut them or wear gloves! another girl had blue nail paint on the first show too! No nail paint in the kitchen please!!! thumbsdown.gif

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:44pm
post #27 of 62

I watched the Fabulous Cakes episode last night and really, really enjoyed it. My husband laughed at me over the bowling cake and the tattoo cake because I kept saying, "you think those are good? Well, you should see some of the cakes the CC girls make!"

Loved the Earth cake and the boat.

I cannot stand to even accidentally turn to the station when Cupcake Wars is on! icon_rolleyes.gif . Gets on my nerves so bad I could scream. All that fake "include crap that nobody will ever eat" stuff.

Love Buddy and his bunch so much, but do wish they would cut out the silliness (ex: his sister supposedly calling another baker for her BD cake) and just showcase them working together and doing those fab cakes.

vtcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtcake Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:45pm
post #28 of 62

I don't understand the putting cakes in the refrigerator to 'set up', but then, I don't do fondant, so maybe that's a pre-fondant thing?

I am very over Buddy and his show. His family is certainly not interesting enough to me to watch their stupid antics and over the top scripting. I wish it was a cake baking show, not a scripted family show.

cupcake_cutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake_cutie Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:01pm
post #29 of 62

I was also wondering if that was a credit card that she was smoothing the icing with on the bowling cake or the tatoo cake. I know that this was already mentioned, but I was also suprised that she didn't layer and fill the tatoo cake.

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:02pm
post #30 of 62

Butterpatty, I love your husband, a man who knows we CC girls can decorate a cake!

Ditto on everything else everyone has said: Buddy is very annoying, No drama in the bakery please, Think this show is a cut above the rest so far, hate DC cakes, cupcakes wars blah! et. etc. etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%