Warning About Licensed Characters And Copyrighted Material

Business By Rachel5370 Updated 31 Jul 2010 , 3:55pm by costumeczar

Spectra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spectra Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:02pm
post #121 of 180

Yeah, but again I don't see them going after people who make things for themselves, so I'm not worried about making a cake and eating it or drawing a picture and putting it on the wall. I think they may roll their eyes at me if I asked permission to draw a picture of Ariel to put on my daughter's bedroom wall. I think the laws are there to protect themselves from people TRYING to make money off of their image. But to each their own, if one feels it's wrong then they don't have to do it for themselves.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:07pm
post #122 of 180

If the laws would be such that you can't even make a cake in your own home for your own use with their images then they could be losing out. Think of kids that like to decorate their own cakes for their bday. I know many who do. Now, imagine telling your own child that she can't decorate her own bday cake by drawing her own image of Minnie Mouse because Disney won't allow it. Come On, I know Disney and others are protecting their interests but at some point, it becomes rediculous. If you told your own child they couldn't decorate their own cake like this, they could just as well say, "well, I don't like so and so anymore."

For your own use, it should be okay.

As another issue, think of children who draw and reproduce copyrighted characters for their own entertainment in their own bedroom and then display their drawings on their walls. I see nothing wrong with this. Same issue for cakes in your own home.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:09pm
post #123 of 180

Spectra, we are thinking along the same lines.

Spectra Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:19pm
post #124 of 180

Hehe, yes indeed momtofourmonkeys. icon_smile.gif

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:53pm
post #125 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollylikescake

Is there a link to this Kerry Vincent article somewhere?

It wasn't an article per-se, it was on Facebook- you can send her a friend request if you like. Her page is not public. The discussion is now a few days old, so you will have to scroll down.

Rachel5370 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:57pm
post #126 of 180

A little off topic, but for Kerry Vincent admirers who would like to show her your cakes, ask questions and just interact here is a fun link

http://www.fantourage.com/fz/8420/kerry_vincent

She comments and replies personally- it's very cool!

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:10pm
post #127 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel5370

To paraphrase Kerry Vincent's message again- It's about honor. It's not about trying to justify stealing someone else's "intellectual property" or finding loopholes in copyright laws. One of Ms. Vincent's life goals is to help elevate sugar art and cake design to the same level of respect as other mediums.
Part of this (my opinion) comes from behaving like artists and always striving to create something new and better- and respecting the work of other artists. People are watching cake artists right now, because cake is HUGE at the moment. But really people, if we are doing only our own designs- then what is there to worry about? I am not claiming to be an expert on copyright law by any means. I am also not saying I am completely blameless on this issue either. I posted this for two reasons.
1) I believe in free enterprise and the American way, flawed as it may be. Being able to protect one's intellectual property in a competitive market is essential
2) I know what a struggle it is to build a business- and it would be tragic to see someone lose everything they have worked for because they caved in and made a cake or a cookie that they shouldn't have. ~Rachel

I absolutely agree. I recently made a Transformers cake for a friends sons b'day party. She provided the pan and just paid me for ingredients. But the whole time I was making that cake, I felt funny. Just wasn't sure about it. So I did a little research and decided it's just not worth it. I'm perfectly fine with using pre-made, purchased decorations to dress up a "backdrop" cake. If people don't like that, they can go find someone else. I wouldn't want anyone else to take/use MY material (whatever it might be) without compensation, so I WON'T do that to anyone else. It's about my personal integrity. The same reason I only do cakes for family/friends. This is my hobby, and so I'm OK with doing cakes for the price of ingredients. I'd love to do more, but I know that in my state it's not legal to operate a cake business from home. I know many others who do, but I chose not to. Why take the risk?

Rachel5370 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:26pm
post #128 of 180

Sassy74-

That's what has really hit home for me- the whole integrity thing. I guess the hope is that our motivation for obeying this and other laws comes from our desire to do the right thing rather than the fear of getting caught. I just think if we expect not to have our own "intellectual property" stolen, then we have to support this law. Even in the case of giant corporations, we might think we are not hurting anyone because they have plenty of money. It's the same law across the board for the little guys and the big guys. That is the only way it can be in a free enterprise, competitive market.

This thread has gone to "splitting hairs" and some are missing the point. Let's dig down deep inside and find our honor and integrity and do what we know is right- not what we see Joe Schmoe at the corner bakery or on TV doing!

Spectra Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:27pm
post #129 of 180

I agree! icon_smile.gif I wouldn't sell a character cake. It would just 'feel' wrong.

WAdora66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WAdora66 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:41pm
post #130 of 180

Excuse my ignorance, but I am confused. So the cake pans that Wilton sells in Michael's, you can't use those to bake, decorate & sell a cake? I also have an image printer and am I not allowed to print out a logo or picture of someone/thing that is famous and use that on a cake/cupcake? I need to do a Justin Bieber cake next week (as a donated cake for freecakesforkids.com). I was planning on printing out a picture of him on a frosting sheet and using that on the cake. Is that not allowed? Sorry for not understanding all this, as I am new.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:25am
post #131 of 180

A read that a lot of it depends on the company who holds the copyright and what type of copyright it is as there are many kinds.
But at the end of the day no amount of justification, no amount of convincing and no amount of side stepping will matter. If it is copyright protected then it is and the law dictates what is legal and illegal as per the copyright regardless of how someone thinks or feels it should be.

Rachel5370 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:29am
post #132 of 180

Wilton Character pans state on the label that they are for "home-use only". You cannot sell cakes made with these pans. And yes, photo copying any photo you did not take without permission is a copyright violation and more likely you will get caught if it is for sale.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:39am
post #133 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

A read that a lot of it depends on the company who hold the copyright and what type of copyright it is as there are many kinds.
But at the end of the day no amount of justification, no amount of convincing and no amount of side stepping will matter. If it is copyright protected then it is and the law dictates what is legal and illegal as per the copyright regardless of how someone thinks or feels it should be.

Yessssss.....

Spectra Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:22am
post #134 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

A read that a lot of it depends on the company who holds the copyright and what type of copyright it is as there are many kinds.

Couldn't agree more, well said. Drives me nuts when I see people advertise character cakes on Kijiji. I'm like, Nooooooo!! icon_smile.gif

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:27am
post #135 of 180

Well, it's not necessarily theft if the company sells you the material to recreate the image. Making a MM cake out of gum paste and building a cake around it is clearly trademark infringement, however, making a cake in a character pan is different because disney sold you material of which the sole purpose is to recreate the their copyrighted image.

So here's where the problem is, for me anyway. If the latter is covered under the first sale doctrine, Disney and it's army of lawyers are fully aware of it,yet are able to sidestep the law by intimidating and harrassing the very people these items are being marketed to. They could just stop making the pans, but obviously it's less costly to keep a lawyer on retainer to shoot off threatening letters to anyone who might try to sell a cake that they made in a pan they paid for.

Now, to be clear, I'm not saying it's okay to steal someone's intellectual property, or that making cakes with a trademarked image a necessity to someone in the cake business. I'm only saying that questioning the validity and reach of a certain statement stamped on a certain cake pan doesn't necessarily make one morally bankrupt.

Btw, can anyone who owns one of these pans tell me exactly what the wording is? Does it just say "for home use only"?

Rachel5370 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:42am
post #136 of 180

I personally don't get the love affair with the Wilton Character pans anyway. Sorry, no offense intended. I am just amazed at the number of times that has come up in this thread. By the time people join this site, aren't they kind of past that level anyway? There is only 1 (maybe 2?) ways to decorate them. Where is the creativity in that? Where is the challenge? If you want to make them for your kids- have at it- that is exactly what they are for. Who would buy a cake like that anyway, when the materials are readily available to anyone and it takes very little skill. And, can anyone say "Carpal Tunnel Sydrome" ?

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:49am
post #137 of 180

If you can zoom in, it says, "For home use only" on the lower right. It only says this on the character pans- not the more generic shapes like a race car or a cat.

The variety of opinions in this thread are interesting.
LL
LL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:51am
post #138 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmokerton

Well, it's not necessarily theft if the company sells you the material to recreate the image. .....They could just stop making the pans, but obviously it's less costly to keep a lawyer on retainer to shoot off threatening letters to anyone who might try to sell a cake that they made in a pan they paid for.

Yes it is theft if you PROFIT from the image. They made the pan and sold you the pan for home personal use. The sale of the pan did NOT include the right to sell and profit (and this legal right has monetary value) from the use of this pan.

Could just stop making the pans? Under that logic, we could just stop making cars if we want to stop drunk drivers .... instead of just penalizing the guy who BREAKS THE LAW and drives drunk. Having the pan isn't illegal. Making a cake in the pan for my daughter isn't illegal.

PROFITING from the pan's image when a monetary exchange has not taken place that permits you to make a profit from anyone else's image is the problem.

You don't have to "stop making the pans". You just have to penalize those who are operating illegally.

This whole comversation reminds me of a talk between parent and child:
Parent: You have to be home by 10:00
Child: But what if I'm late just one time?
Parent: The rule is you have to be home by 10:00.
Child: But what if I'm late but I'm with my friend next door.
Parent: THe rule is you have to be in by 10:00
Child: But I don't see why it's any big deal! I'm just having fun!
Parent: The rule is you have to be in by 10:00
Child: But what about if I .....

And so on. I can't believe grown people are puling the "But mom!! What about .......?" line for over 10 pages. icon_eek.gif

sweetheart6710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetheart6710 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:43am
post #139 of 180

What if Wal-mart sells me an edible image to use on cake? Most stores won't do that, but the Wal-mart decorator told me 'we have the copy rights for everything'. How do I prove I bought it from Wal-mart and didn't copy it myself?? This is all very confusing. I can understand if I owned a bakery and was selling cakes like this.. I guess to be the most safe is to not do it at all, but that doesn't make it very fun for my niece who wanted a hello kitty cake. Am I in the wrong doing it for her? ugh.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 11:28am
post #140 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart6710

What if Wal-mart sells me an edible image to use on cake? Most stores won't do that, but the Wal-mart decorator told me 'we have the copy rights for everything'. How do I prove I bought it from Wal-mart and didn't copy it myself?? This is all very confusing. I can understand if I owned a bakery and was selling cakes like this.. I guess to be the most safe is to not do it at all, but that doesn't make it very fun for my niece who wanted a hello kitty cake. Am I in the wrong doing it for her? ugh.

1) yes, they do have copyright.

2) so, yes they can sell it to you for PERSONAL use, NOT for resale. -- so okay on your own family's cake; NOT ok to put on cake you sell to someone else.

3) you're proof: the receipt showing you paid for the image.

smokeysmokerton Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:14pm
post #141 of 180

If these pans are protected under the First Sale Doctrine(as are other Disney materials) then no, it is NOT theft. Disney cannot limit what you can do with it once they've sold it to you. They sell you the right to recreate the image when they sell you the pan, and if the FSD covers them, they have no say in whether you sell them or not.

And yes, if disney is so concerned about people profiting off of their image(because they can, legally under fsd if it applies) they could stop selling people materials for that purpose. They don't because trademark law is grey enough that people aren't sure what their rights are and can't afford the fight it. There is a lot of argument about disney's rights, but what about yours? Sure, not many people are using these pans professionally, but there are people here on this site, in this thread who are now afraid of having a picture of a cake that THEY MADE WITH A PAN THEY BOUGHT AND PAID FOR for their own children posted on the internet for fear of being harrassed by the trademark police. It's ridiculous.

It's possible that because one is producing an item from a trademarked material and the original material isn't part of the finished product(the image is part of the cake, but the pan is not) the fsd may not apply. But like every law, it is there for a reason and the consumer has every right to question it.

And thank you, cheatize for the pic. "For home use only" is kind of vague for such an important issue, imo. Maybe I read that and figure they just mean i have to bake the cake at home. Doesn't really say who's home or where I have to eat it or if I can sell it.

smokeysmokerton Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 12:36pm
post #142 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel5370

I personally don't get the love affair with the Wilton Character pans anyway. Sorry, no offense intended. I am just amazed at the number of times that has come up in this thread. By the time people join this site, aren't they kind of past that level anyway? There is only 1 (maybe 2?) ways to decorate them. Where is the creativity in that? Where is the challenge? If you want to make them for your kids- have at it- that is exactly what they are for. Who would buy a cake like that anyway, when the materials are readily available to anyone and it takes very little skill. And, can anyone say "Carpal Tunnel Sydrome" ?

Yeah, I don't get it either. I don't nor have I ever owned or used a character pan, I just find this all really interesting icon_razz.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 1:34pm
post #143 of 180

Back to what Debbie said: It's the pitting of the child against the parent.

For Home Use does not mean you can make it for profit. It means you can make it in your home for your use (whether it's for your child or for you to take to a friend's birthday party). There is to be no exchange of money.

For those who live in states where you can bake from home, you have to differentiate between personal use of your home and business use of your home. If you buy the pan for home use (which is stamped on the Wilton pans), then it is for your use for your "personal" use. You cannot use it for your business even if your business operates out of your house.

Paul

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm
post #144 of 180

Charles Perault 1600's - Cinderella
The Brothers Grimm 1800s - Cinderella

Rudyard Kipling 1800s - The Jungle Book
Hans Cristian Anderson 1800s - The Little Mermaid
James M Barrie 1928 - Peter Pan.. The Lost Boys. Also creator of Tinkerbell, Captain Hook, e
Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, The Princess & the Frog all written by someone else a long time ago and adapted by Disney.

This is why I don't put much stock in this Disney copyright panic.

I doubt one Disney character is actually Disneys own creation other than Mickey Mouse. Even that may have been found elsewhere, who knows for sure. Sure Disney has altered most of the stories to have happy ending, unlike most of the originals. Same as the characters. They've been altered to look cute, pretty & handsome. Nonetheless, the stories, characters were all someone elses idea, their creation.
To me, that makes Disney just as guilty of the same copyright infringement that they are so he** bent on finding us and sueing us for.

I'm sure if you asked most children nowadays who created Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, The Little Mermaid etc, they would answer Disney, and thats a shame..

Just the other day I was looking for embroidery info. I came across a site that had photos of the persons embroidery creations with the word copyright all over the page with warnings galore about using the images.
I knew at first glance that many of the embroidery this person claimed to be her own idea had been taken from old quilts & embroidery patterns that my own grandmother used to make in the 50s. Sunbonnet Sue as one example. This person used the same old Sunbonnet Sue pattern I know where she is bent over with a watering can. The only change from the original pattern is this person added ruffle to the bonnet. Then she adds a copyright on her "creation". What hogwash.

My thoughts only... I believe every new idea, new design, new pattern, new character, has already been created by someone else in years gone past. We may think its our exclusive idea, exclusive design. But you can bet your bottom dollar we got the idea from seeing it elsewhere. Maybe in a slightly different form or whatever, but we still got the idea from someone else.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:33pm
post #145 of 180

Sticking to the subject of images, the original characters of those books look SIGNIFICANTLY different that the ones Disney has created. I'm talking about the pictures, not the stories.

I don't know the history of copyright law, but it is still an example of "But Mom, what about..."

One may not agree with the law, it's still the law.

Joyfull4444 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 5:53pm
post #146 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingobaker

Sticking to the subject of images, the original characters of those books look SIGNIFICANTLY different that the ones Disney has created. I'm talking about the pictures, not the stories.

I don't know the history of copyright law, but it is still an example of "But Mom, what about..."

Yes, but Disney took the images from the original creator of said image and changed it to how they wanted it to look. Its still the same character no matter how you look at it. It is not Disneys exclusive copyright character as they are forever saying, as it was not Disneys character in the first place.

costumeczar Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm
post #147 of 180

It's Disney's drawing that you'd be copying, though. The drawing is copyrighted whether people like it or not.

Joyfull4444 Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 6:29pm
post #148 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

It's Disney's drawing that you'd be copying, though. The drawing is copyrighted whether people like it or not.

Nonetheless the altered image is still not exclusively Disney. Disney would have to change the name of the drawing for it to be their sole property. Not call it Little Mermaid, not Peter Pan, not Cinderella, not Sleeping Beauty etc.
The drawing may be their interpretation of the original character, but the name/title is not theirs to use. It was taken from someone else.

costumeczar Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #149 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfull4444

Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Nonetheless the altered image is still not exclusively Disney. Disney would have to change the name of the drawing for it to be their sole property. Not call it Little Mermaid, not Peter Pan, not Cinderella, not Sleeping Beauty etc.
The drawing may be their interpretation of the original character, but the name/title is not theirs to use. It was taken from someone else.

But nobody's talking about writing the word "Cinderella" across a cake and sell it. They're talking about taking the Disney cartoon and recreating it.

smokeysmokerton Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #150 of 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyfull4444

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingobaker

Yes, but Disney took the images from the original creator of said image and changed it to how they wanted it to look. Its still the same character no matter how you look at it. It is not Disneys exclusive copyright character as they are forever saying, as it was not Disneys character in the first place.

Disney trademarked the images, so now they belong to them. That doesn't make it right, but it is what it is.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%