Dummy Cakes Covered In Fondant???

Decorating By sodalitycake Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 6:24am by cocobean

sodalitycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sodalitycake Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 10

Hi there! Do you have to cover dummy cakes with frosting or perma-ice if they're being cover with fondant?

9 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 10

No.

rae

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:34pm
post #3 of 10

I haven't...why waste the frosting? But that's just me! icon_wink.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 10

I brush on a thin coat of shortening before covering my dummies with fondant. It makes removing the fondant much easier. thumbs_up.gif

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:46am
post #5 of 10

It helps if you have something on there that the fondant can stick to. Either shortening as mamawrobin suggested, a very thin smear of buttercream or just wipe it over with some damp paper towel.

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:53am
post #6 of 10

I just spritz the dummies with water from a squirt bottle. It adds just enough water to get the fondant to stick to the styrofoam.

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:36am
post #7 of 10

So, I thought the same thing about using water. Tonight I went to remove the fondant (after about 1 or 2 weeks) and it was soooo hard! Now my perfect little dummies have divets.

So, what do you do about those bumps and bruises? Fondant to smooth? WIll crisco help the smooth it?

kricket Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kricket Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:33am
post #8 of 10

I'm curious as to the reasons some of you are re-using your dummies. I make dummies if a bride orders it instead of real cake. But she "buys" it then and I don't see it again. I have never had the occasion to re-use a dummy.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:07am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kricket

I'm curious as to the reasons some of you are re-using your dummies. I make dummies if a bride orders it instead of real cake. But she "buys" it then and I don't see it again. I have never had the occasion to re-use a dummy.

Practice.
Portfolio photos.
Making sure an idea in my head actually works in practice.
Just playing around when I've got the cake itch without 'wasting' too many ingredients.
Did I mention practice?

icon_biggrin.gif

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:24am
post #10 of 10

I always cover my dummies with Press and Seal. Brush the Press and Seal lightly with corn syrup so that the fondant will stick. If you want to remove the fondant the dummies are compleatly protected. You can always remove the Press and Seal and cover with new Press and Seal for the next time. It works great!!

You can use this method for bc on a dummy also, minus the corn syrup.

(Did I mention to go lightly with the corn syrup when using the fondant)

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%