How The Wilton Fluted Bowl Separator Works...

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 1:30am by grossoutqueen

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 8

I have a potential client that wants a larger looking cake but doesn't need as many servings.

I am going to offer her the options of either using a dummy tier for 3 tiers or the wilton fluted bowl separator for 2 tiers to give it extra height.

My question is, for the bottom of the bowl where the separator plate is, it rests on the top of the bottom layer cake right? Does this mean it will show since the bowl is clear? My plan was to fill the bowl with seashells so it will have stuff on it but it seems like to me even with the bowl filled, the bottom plate would still show on the cake...

Is this right? If so is there a way to avoid it?
LL

7 replies
chloe_52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chloe_52 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 8

Here is a link as to how to use the bowl and yes from the looks of it the bottom plate will show

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/fluted-bowl-set.cfm

grossoutqueen Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:45pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks Chloe. I saw that link earlier and was wondering if anyone knew a way around the plate showing... I hope so because I'm not sure if I like that icon_sad.gif

mandymakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandymakescakes Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 8

I've seen that bowl in the store and thought about it myself... If it's full of seashells, the center of the plate (the area covered by the bowl) won't show too much and you could then cover the outside "lip" with buttercream or fondant to match the cake layer it's resting on.

icon_smile.gif

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 8

I must not be "getting" it...why could you not use a smaller plate - one just the size of your cake? icon_confused.gif

carlee521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlee521 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:06am
post #6 of 8

If you don't want the bottom plate (the small plate right?) to show..why not get extras of the ocean/seashell item in the bowl or make cake safe seashell figures to go around the plate. Then it wouldn't be showing

iamcakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamcakin Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:18am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcakin

I must not be "getting" it...why could you not use a smaller plate - one just the size of your cake? icon_confused.gif

Oh, okay icon_redface.gif , when actually reading all the words...

grossoutqueen Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:30am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcakin

Because then it would cover the entire cake top. Im talking about the plate that would sit on top of the bottom tier. I believe you may be thinking I mean the plate that sits on top of the bowl and under the top tier?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%