Tried A New Bc Today...love It!!!!

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 2:25am by Kiddiekakes

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 51

It's so light and fluffy....like a whipped cream, but it doesn't crust. I used them for cupcakes so I can't say what it iwll be like to decorate a cake. What is the preferred buttercream for decorators - crusting or non-crusting? I've only ever used crusting recipes and wondered how smooth you can actually get a non-crusting BC.

50 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 51

ok...please clue us in.

and what is the recipe for this new fluffy whipped cream like BC????

---

for crusting, I use IndyDebi's

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Trixyinaz Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 51

Hi Doug - nice to see you! It is the Whimsical Bakehouse Buttercream recipe. It's "new" to me, but I think it's been around forever. Honestly, one of the things I hate about BC is that it is gritty. With this one, it is sooooooo smooth, but like I said, it's a non-crusting recipe. Do you prefer crusting BC when decorating cakes?

Trixyinaz Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

what is the recipe for this new fluffy whipped cream like BC????

Sorry, forgot to include the link....

http://forum.intotheoven.com/filling-recipes/1147-whimsical-bake-house-buttercream.html

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 51

crusting vs non crusting is an entirely personal preferance, and depends on your skill set. non crusting can be just as smooth of crusting, if you have the techniques down just as well.
i stick with crusting cause its what i know!
xx

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 10:18pm
post #6 of 51

thanks for the link.

considering that I prefer fondant, its' what ever works under it.

Right now that's IndyDebi's. I beat it for like 20 min. and it comes out very smooth and fluffy.

Gearing up to try ganache (how could you go wrong with chocolate?!)

At some point want to try the meringue style BCs.

put as my BC piping skills stink -- fondant is just much easier!

Trixyinaz Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 10:31pm
post #7 of 51

Thanks Brincess_ B and Doug. I'm looking forward to trying the non-crusting on a cake, but am not getting my hopes up on getting it as smooth as my crusting BC.

I tried IndyDebi's recipe last year, and it's nothing like this as far as light and fluffy. Maybe I didn't mix long enough, but I generally go for 15 to 20 minutes. I've tried several BC recipes and none compare to this one as far as "grittiness" goes. It's by far the smoothest BC I've had, and not as sickenly sweet as my usual crusting BC recipe. I'm gonna ticker with my crusting recipe to see if I can get it SMOOTH and non-gritty.

Wow, you think fondant is easier? I'm a nervous wreck covering a cake with fondant, which is why I stick with BC...LOL. I've heard great things about ganache, but have not tried it yet. someday!

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 51

The Whimsical Bakehouse buttercream is perfect for cupcakes- light and fluffy. That's my go to BC for cuppies. For cakes I use Sugarshack's crusting BC.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 11:39pm
post #9 of 51

I can't make a crusting bc work at all. I had a meltdown on here a few weeks ago. I soooooooooo prefer a non-crusting.

It's just what I'm accustomed to.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 51

Leah,
How do you get the frosting to be smooth when you use a non-crusting? What procedure do you use?

ALR1955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALR1955 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:02am
post #11 of 51

I just looked at the recipe. That's alot of water. Is it thin?

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:17am
post #12 of 51

Need to clarify: that's 2 3/4 cups of hi ratio and1 1/2 sticks butter, right?

I thought someone said in a reply that it was all hi ratio. icon_confused.gif

Trixyinaz Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:46pm
post #13 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakingangel

Need to clarify: that's 2 3/4 cups of hi ratio and1 1/2 sticks butter, right?

I thought someone said in a reply that it was all hi ratio. icon_confused.gif

Yep, that is right.

I thought that was a lot of water too, but the BC was not thin. Nice consitency. I headed the warning about only using 3/4 cup on HOT days. Yesterday was HOT and muggy so I only used 3/4 cup.

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:00pm
post #14 of 51

for the non crusting buttercream like SMBC I put it in the fridge to harden then I use the hot spatula method, it comes out really smooth that way.

Trixyinaz Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 7:25pm
post #15 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechrestloans

for the non crusting buttercream like SMBC I put it in the fridge to harden then I use the hot spatula method, it comes out really smooth that way.

Thanks for confirming what I was going to try. I can't wait to use this icing for my next cake now that there is a way to get it smooth!

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 7:39pm
post #16 of 51

Trixy,
Isn't that a great recipe? It's been my go-to frosting for a while now. I could eat it by the bowlful. The chocolate version tastes like mousse. And I love the Whimsical Bakehouse books, too.

By the way, I don't use high-ratio shortening, and it works just fine. (I have never used high-ratio shortening, so I have nothing to compare it to.)

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 9:45pm
post #17 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthecake

By the way, I don't use high-ratio shortening, and it works just fine. (I have never used high-ratio shortening, so I have nothing to compare it to.)

Do you use Crisco, and what brand of cocoa do you use for chocolate?

cutthecake Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:40pm
post #18 of 51

Yes, I use Crisco and Baker's Semi-Sweet Chocolate Squares. And I eat it like mousse.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:31am
post #19 of 51

I'd like to try it...thanks!

Trixyinaz Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:34am
post #20 of 51

Cutthecake, I can't believe I hadn't tried that recipe earlier. I stored it almost a year ago and I just got around to making it. It is my FAVORITE!

I'll have to check out their books. This BC is amazing and is definately something I am going to use a lot! That's good to know about the chocolate version. I can't wait to try it. Do you add the melted chocolate when you add the hot water?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:39am
post #21 of 51

I exclusively use WBH icing for all my cakes..It smooths like a dream but is non forgiving if you bump it or get a finger in it.That's all I use and my customer's love it because it reminds them of whipped bakery icing.I haven't used a crusting BC in years...The chocolate version is nice also but get warm faster than the white.I also use crisco and it works great too!

cutthecake Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:05am
post #22 of 51

I do not add the chocolate with the hot water, but I guess that would work if the chocolate is still warm. I usually let it cool, then add it with the other ingredients.
Did I mention that I eat it like mousse?

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:18am
post #23 of 51

Sounds like I need to try the WBH recipe.

I had hesitated before, because I'm really happy with IMBC, and because the fat-sugar ratio looked awfully high in the WBH recipe.

If I'm reading it correctly, there's 3 and a half cups of fat and 1.5 pounds of powdered sugar. Contrast that with, say, IndyDebi's, which has about 1 and a third (I think) cups of fat and 2 pounds of powdered sugar.

Still, sometimes a recipe that reads like it would be terrible actually tastes wonderful. Gonna try it.

Anyone have an idea of how it stands up to heat and humidity? That's the biggest drawback for my IMBC.

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:43am
post #24 of 51

Here's my confession: I made this recipe this weekend for the first time, and it tasted fabulous (straight from the bowl). But it was so light in the bowl (I didn't spread it on the cake) that I added several more cups of powdered sugar and RUINED the consistency. I hoped it would make the frosting firmer, but instead it had the opposite effect. I had to throw it away!

I've only used crusting buttercream in the past, so I have a (perhaps silly) question. Will this hold up sufficiently once it's on the cake that I could put decorative fondant cutouts on it?

So I'm thrilled to see this thread. Gives me hope to try again!

Trixyinaz Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:34pm
post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by karabeal

Will this hold up sufficiently once it's on the cake that I could put decorative fondant cutouts on it?

I thought about that too, and am curious myself. I hope someone can give us an answer.

Good to know about adding extra PS at the end...my heart would have been crushed to throw away all the icing. Perhaps if you add more PS at the beginning with the water, you will get a stiffer consitency, or don't add as much water. I'm gonna try that and see what happens.

Trixyinaz Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:38pm
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncr

Anyone have an idea of how it stands up to heat and humidity? That's the biggest drawback for my IMBC.

I wondered this too. I'm guessing it needs to be refrigerated since it seems to be almost identical to the icing that this one baker in town uses and they say to keep it in the fridge until ready to serve.

schwammrs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schwammrs Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:49pm
post #27 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncr

I had hesitated before, because I'm really happy with IMBC, and because the fat-sugar ratio looked awfully high in the WBH recipe.

If I'm reading it correctly, there's 3 and a half cups of fat and 1.5 pounds of powdered sugar. Contrast that with, say, IndyDebi's, which has about 1 and a third (I think) cups of fat and 2 pounds of powdered sugar.

Still, sometimes a recipe that reads like it would be terrible actually tastes wonderful. Gonna try it.

Sounds like a lot of people love the taste, but I did not like the it at all and it's probably because I grew up eating a BC that was a lot closer to IndyDebi's in fat-to-sugar ratio!

But it certainly is extremely soft, fluffy and smooth, or at least it WAS until I added about 3 more cups of sugar in an attempt to "salvage" it after tasting. (Unlike dawncr, I didn't think about the ratio til AFTER I made it... and tasted it...)

That being said, I might still use this recipe at times when making a cake for someone who prefers a less-sweet bc -- it really does seem like it would be a joy to work with. icon_smile.gif

cutthecake Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:43pm
post #28 of 51

I have not had problems attaching fondant pieces to this frosting. Just stick 'em on.

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:46pm
post #29 of 51

Thank you cutthecake! Now I will try again this weekend.

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:09pm
post #30 of 51

Thanks for all the tips you guys! This advice is just in time for my cupcake project for this weekend. I'm definitely gonna try this one tonight. You guys rock!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%