Icing Turns Spotty After A Few Days

Baking By Tracya Updated 1 Dec 2010 , 11:02pm by drakegore

Tracya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracya Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 8:38am
post #1 of 12

I am making wedding cookies for my neices wedding, however, the last time I made cookies two days later my icing (used the recipe with corn syrup) started turning white spots on it. HELP !!!!!

11 replies
bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 12

Hi - welcome to CC!

So sorry to hear about your cookie troubles!

What icing recipe are you using? Are you getting actual spots or "blotchiness" in the icing? Do you have a picture you can post? Seeing it might help someone be able to tell you what's causing it.

White "spots" might be spots of sugar that didn't get mixed in enough, but "blotchiness" would be another reason...

messy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy1 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 12

I had this problem when I started making cookies. I read where adding Wilton white icing color to the icing (5 drops per cup of icing)would prevent this. I did that and noticed a huge improvement. You could research this.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 12

Are you sifting your sugar? I know it seems silly when it's already so fine, but I think it helps tremendously.

Good luck thumbs_up.gif

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:18am
post #5 of 12

Glace does not like cold and can dry splotchy as a result of that.HTH

giannina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giannina Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 12

I had about the same problem, but I believe it was bcuase I used lime juice to flavor the icing, and the "effect" was a couple of days after. Since that experience I use ALmond or Vanilla extract for favor =P

Tracya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracya Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:00pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for the reply's. I use the recipe with powdered sugar, vanilla, and corn syrup. The cookies look fantastic but two days later they have this weird discoloring with my white icing. only with the white.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 12

Make sure you add white food coloring to your icing regardless of whether you're coloring the icing or not. Then make sure the icing is not left to dry in a cold room.

messy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
messy1 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:59pm
post #9 of 12

I really believe in the white icing color to help with the blotchy icing problem. I also found that if I make sure they are good and dry before putting them away they do not blotch. I still freeze some of mine and when they thaw they still look great. Hope all this has helped.

Debi2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debi2 Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 10:36pm
post #10 of 12

I had this problem last year when I was using the flooding method for my Christmas cookies. I decided I probably used too much water to thin my icing. Could this be your problem too? I'm no expert, it was just a thought. Good luck icon_smile.gif

Deb

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 10:48pm
post #11 of 12

I think it's drying them in the cold too. When I dry my glace cookies in my kitchen (I turn the heat off at night) I get blotchiness. When I bring the cookies upstairs where it is warm to dry I don't have the problem.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 1 Dec 2010 , 11:02pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by messy1

I had this problem when I started making cookies. I read where adding Wilton white icing color to the icing (5 drops per cup of icing)would prevent this. I did that and noticed a huge improvement. You could research this.

I really recommend you use Americolor instead of Wilton's white. Wilton's can change the texture of your icing and make it unappealling (learned the hard way, lol).

agree with what everyone said about heat. i dry mine in a warm room with no drafts.

diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%