Covering Cake With Fondant!

Decorating By heidi0609 Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 6:08pm by Joyful72

heidi0609 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidi0609 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 17

Any advice on how to keep my fondant from cracking? I knead it very good, so I don't think that is the problem, but every time I cover my cake, I get small little cracks around the top edges! Not big ones, they just keep it from looking perfect!

16 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 17

I had this problem using a couple of the premade fondants that I've used. I make Michele Foster's fondant and use it exclusively now and I never have any issues with it. I never did figure out why I had this problem with the others...I just found a better fondant. thumbs_up.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm
post #3 of 17

what fondant are you using?

heidi0609 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 17

I'm using store bought. It's called virgin ice! I guess next time I'll try making my own!! Thanks!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 17

Sone brands do that, but how you work affects it to. Ie: using ps will dry it out, as will taking too long to roll it out. Also, not having too much overhang, and not taking too long to secure the top edge means it won't have anything pulling it down to stretch either.
xx

marcx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcx Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

Sone brands do that, but how you work affects it to. Ie: using ps will dry it out, as will taking too long to roll it out. Also, not having too much overhang, and not taking too long to secure the top edge means it won't have anything pulling it down to stretch either.
xx

I can attest to working the fondant in a different manner. After securing the edges, I used to smooth my fondant downwards, by pushing it down the sides of my cake. I found this would, more often than not, pull at the top edge of my fondant and stretch, or in worse cases, rip it. What I now do instead is work and smooth my fondant upwards, making sure that the edges stay crisp and the sides of the cake adhere to my fondant so it won't 'drag' the top edge down.

I hope my explanation isnt too convoluted! If I come across a video of some sort showing exactly how this is done, I'll be sure to share. Dont give up and keep practicing icon_smile.gif

heidi0609 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:21pm
post #7 of 17

thanks for all the thoughts. I'll try less ps, but can i use something else to keep it from sticking to my hands and the surface I'm rolling on?

Darlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darlene Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:56pm
post #8 of 17

cornstarch!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:15pm
post #9 of 17

I use as little powdered sugar and cornstarch as possible. I just add a liitle more shortening to my fondant and it seems to work fine (so far!). Just don't add too much, though, because it can affect the taste.

katiemarie718 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiemarie718 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:44pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I had this problem using a couple of the premade fondants that I've used. I make Michele Foster's fondant and use it exclusively now and I never have any issues with it. I never did figure out why I had this problem with the others...I just found a better fondant. thumbs_up.gif

I looked up this recipie and I was wondering do you have to keep it cool since it has milk in it?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:19pm
post #11 of 17

I wonder about this, too, katiemarie. The original version of the Michele Foster Fondant can be made with water, which is what I do, and it still tastes great.

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:37pm
post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi0609

thanks for all the thoughts. I'll try less ps, but can i use something else to keep it from sticking to my hands and the surface I'm rolling on?

I learned from SugarShack's DVD on Flawless Fondant about the amazing blue silicone fondant pad. I bought one and I've never had a problem with rolling out my fondant, it sticking to the counter, or cracking in my fondant ever since. I LOVE it.

It's a bit pricey but it's so so so much better than any of the Wilton mats I've ever tried. I just spread some organic shortening (I'm anti-Crisco) on the mat - NO cornstarch OR ps - get the fondant soft enough to roll, roll it out with my heavy rolling pin, flip it over on top of my cake and peel off the blue pad.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:23pm
post #13 of 17

ditto above..... no more cracking using that method!

DebbyJG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebbyJG Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:44pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks Sharon! icon_smile.gif

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:14pm
post #15 of 17

where can I buy the mat?

Limepip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limepip Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #16 of 17

Globalsugarart.com and Sugar craft both have them.

Joyful72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyful72 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:08pm
post #17 of 17

Ateco has another silicon mat that has the measurement lines. Does anyone have any opinions on that one? Is the blue one preferred over the tan one w/blue edges?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%