Buttercream Transfer

Decorating By princesscatt Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 9:45pm by Mickeebabe

princesscatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscatt Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 15

Going to attempt a buttercream transfer this weekend using a Yankee sign for a baseball cake...any tips or advice??? Should be interesting!

14 replies
Jesa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jesa Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:48am
post #2 of 15

best advice I have is to use either plexiglass or even a clear glass baking dish--tape your design under the glass and wax paper on top where you work your design. That way you can periodically remove the design to see how your transfer is coming. That and check as you go for those pesky little air bubbles! HTH icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 15

I'd read past posts on them. There is alot of great advice in them.

sassy22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassy22 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 15

research! I watched a ton of videos before trying my first one you may want to check these out:

TexasSugar Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy22

Also be careful not to layer on too much icing as your image will seem elevated off the cake - you want it as thin as possible

Actually if you get it too thin you run the risk of it thawing more quickly, and it not wanting to come off the backing you are using.

I don't add an extra layer of icing on the back of mine, but I do make sure I make it thick enough that it won't tear when placing it on the cake.

Jen80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jen80 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:44am
post #6 of 15

Thank you so much sassy22 for posting those videos. I tried searching Youtube a few weeks ago, but couldn't find any.

I made one and while the picture looked great:

actually trying to get it onto the cake ruined the whole thing (I used acetate, which I wont be doing again). icon_sad.gificon_cry.gif .

Those videos gave me some GREAT tips and I'll definitely be doing one again, because they're so fun!

sassy22 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 15

wow it did look awesome! sorry about the wreck icon_cry.gif I'm doing one this weekend of sleeping beauty, hopefully it comes out!

TexasSugar Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 15

What problems did you have with it?

Jen80 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:27pm
post #9 of 15

Well first of all TexasSugar, it was way too hard to pull the Acetate off the FBCT without getting my fingers under there to try to pry it off (see the smudges down the bottom of the cake). Because the acetate is so rigid you have to pull it up rather than away from yourself.

So, then I let it come to room temperature. (which I SWEAR I read was ok to do in one of the threads). That was definately a no no.

Then last of all I had my transfer so thick that even if it had worked it would have looked rather odd sitting up so high on the cake.

Jen80 Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:32pm
post #10 of 15

Good luck with your Sleeping Beauty sassy22. Is it your first too?

sassy22 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:27am
post #11 of 15

this will be my third try but of course this is for someone else so fingers crossed!

TexasSugar Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 5:55pm
post #12 of 15

Ahh okay. I've only used wax paper and plastic wrap on mine. You do want to remove the backing very very quickly. The icing will thaw fast and it is the frozen icing that will release from what you use, not thawed. I've had a few parts stick to the backing in my day, so I know how frustrating it can be.

erichazann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erichazann Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:13pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen80

Then last of all I had my transfer so thick that even if it had worked it would have looked rather odd sitting up so high on the cake.

Your particular image does not look bad high up off the cake.. it kinda looks like the train is coming out of the cake! It would be neat if you had two transfers, one at cake level (like a tunnel) and then the train higher up coming out.

Jen80 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 9:57pm
post #14 of 15

Yep, definitely trying the wax paper next time TexasSugar thumbs_up.gif .

Thanks erichazan icon_smile.gif
An interesting idea too. Kinda like Paper Tole.

Sorry for hijacking your thread princesscatt icon_redface.gif .
How did you go with your transfer?

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 9:45pm
post #15 of 15

I tried wax paper and it stuck. I tried parchment paper and it stuck. I tried a Ziploc bag and it worked great. I'll never go back to the other two again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%