Stacking A Cupcake! Very New To Cakes Please Help!!

Decorating By LLMonty Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm by millermom

LLMonty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LLMonty Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 12:50pm
post #1 of 4

For my daughter's first birthday I wanted to make her cake so I have been taking classes. I think I should be ok on the decorations part but I REALLY wanted to do a giant cupcake on top of another cake. What is the best way to do this?? do I need to put something under it because I really don't want it to sink!! Help.

By the way I am going to give the cady shell a try so if that changes anything let me know!

Thank you so much~! icon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 4

You probably should put a cake board underneath the cucpcake and dowel or use some supports on the bottom layer. It would be the same procedure as stacking a cake. You can probably search "Stacking" here on CC for some good tutorials or posts.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 4

You will need to use dowels or straws in the base cake and your cupcake cake needs to be on a cardboard cake board. Watch some of the tutorials on youtube "how to stack a cake" ...this is how I learned to properly stack a cake. I am a visual learner and do much better 'seeing' what I'm trying to learn. thumbs_up.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 4

I did a topsy cake with the giant cupcake on top for my DD's b-day a few years back (in my pics), and was concentrating so hard on getting everything right, that I forgot to put the supports in! icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif
I got the cupcake all positioned and stepped back to look, and noticed that the cupcake was sinking into the cake already! Because it was a topsy/turvy, it literally cracked around the edge of the bottom tier, and ended up being a disaster!
After the picture was taken, it continued to fall apart, and ultimately, ended up tying a ribbon around it just to hold it together! icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%