Fondant Figures Aren't Drying??????help

Decorating By maecpc Updated 22 Jul 2010 , 5:10pm by leah_s

maecpc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maecpc Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:43pm
post #1 of 11

I made my figures for my cake 7 days in advance they crust over but the inside is soft so they sag and settle how do i prevent this or what am i doing wrong??? I need toy story figures and now i am frustrated!

10 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 11

Are you using straight fondant? If so, that is why they aren't drying. You need to mix with gumpaste, tylose or gumtex. Or just use gumpaste since they more than likely won't be eaten anyway.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 11

What kind of fondant did you use?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 11

Yes, straight fondant is not good to use for figures. Add tylose or CMC to the fondant, mix 50/50 with gumpaste, or best of all use straight gumpaste.

maecpc Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:39am
post #5 of 11

I am using just MMF so that is probably why. With the gumpaste every time I use it when it dries it dries like 5 shades lighter in color and it starts to "wrinkle" after it dries like dry skin does sort of. When i mix the gumpaste and fondant do I have to make a seperate batch of gumpaste and then mix it or can i just add the wilton gumpaste powder to my homemade MMF? What about modeling chocolate? A lot of the tv shows seem to use it? Anyone try it? If so wich recipe?

TexasSugar Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:06pm
post #6 of 11

You can add gum trag, tylose or gum-tex to your fondant to help hardern it faster, but not the gumpaste powder dry.

leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 11

Texas, mmm . . . why do you say that?

'Cause I've been adding dry gumpaste powder to commercial fondant for years with very good results. I don't use MMF, though. Does it react differently?

TexasSugar Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 3:24pm
post #8 of 11

Well I guess you learn something new eevry day. Why do you use the try gumpaste powder over the gums out there?

maecpc Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 11

If you don't use MMF fondant what recipe do you use? Have you done the modeling chocolate figures?

leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:09pm
post #10 of 11

[quote="TexasSugar"]Well I guess you learn something new eevry day. Why do you use the try gumpaste powder over the gums out there?[/quote]

Because I buy in bulk. And when I need a wee bit of gumpaste, I can just mix it up.

leah_s Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:10pm
post #11 of 11

Oh I made MMF once and I'll never understand why so many people like it/use it. I use SatinIce, Fondx or PettinIce. I only use commercial fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%