Icing Smiles

Lounge By hsmomma Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 4:33pm by mamawrobin

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 9

I just had to share ~ I just completed my first cake for Icing Smiles ( www . icingsmiles. org) The family was amazing!

Anyone that is considering volunteering for them...it's really a wonderful experience!

8 replies
_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:32am
post #2 of 9

I just found out about them last night and emailed them. Her auto-response was on as she's out of town but I am excited to hear from her.

I'm glad you had such a great experience! Seems like a great organization.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:03am
post #3 of 9

Says the website is temporarily unavailable. I'll have to check back later. I'm assuming is a site that hooks up bakers with needy families??

hsmomma Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:37pm
post #4 of 9

They are in the middle of a Headquarters move so the auto email response is on. But, Tracy (the founder) is very good at returning emails.

It's a program with the mission of providing birthday cakes for children that have been impacted by critical illnesses (and even their siblings).

It was a wonderful experience...sad but happy...if that makes any sense.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsmomma

It was a wonderful experience...sad but happy...if that makes any sense.

Absolutley makes sense--sometimes it's the bittersweeet moments that mean the most in life. Selfishly, I think we as the givers get so much more than the recipients, there is nothing like a smile on a child's face.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 8:43pm
post #6 of 9

Yes. It is an amazing organization. Tracy is moving so she's super busy but I'm sure she'll be back and running soon.

hsmomma Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 4:06am
post #7 of 9

Yep...definitely feel like I got more than I gave...

Cucurbita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cucurbita Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 9

Is there a way to request an "icing smiles" catagory on the photo gallery list? Wouldn't it be great to have an album here of icing smiles cakes (or is there one already? : )

This is my first forum post online, let alone cc.com . I have created 2 cakes for icingsmiles, twice blessed. Tracy contacted me I think a month into my start of cake decorating in May. I'm so thankful for it, because it stopped me in my tracks (okay atleast slowed me down) on what my purpose is with creating cakes. Feeling artistic cakes are more of a way to give back talents (I alread have a fulltime job), I've made further commitments with a local residental facililty for hurting kids. I wish I had more time to become involved with everyone in the cake community. Thank you to Kara for focusing your fantastic energy to Tracy's cause.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaslaura

Says the website is temporarily unavailable. I'll have to check back later. I'm assuming is a site that hooks up bakers with needy families??

I couldn't access the website either. I will try later because this is something that I want to do. thumbs_up.gif I live about 35 minutes from Arkansas Children's Hospital and would love to take cakes to children there. What an awesome thing to do. I can't wait to do my first cake for this project. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%