How Much Ganache Should I Make For A 3-6-9-12 Cake?

Decorating By MiriamG Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 5:16pm by MiriamG

MiriamG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MiriamG Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 15

Hi,

I'm going to try using ganache under fondant for the first time, on a wedding cake. It's a 3-6-9-12 tier cake, and each tier will be approximately 4 inches high (four layers chocolate cake with espresso buttercream filling in each tier - bride's request!).

How much ganache should i make? Can anyone tell me in terms of how much chocolate and cream? I'm planning on using the 2:1 ratio, and the instructions on this thread:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=633264&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

Thanks so much!
Miriam

14 replies
Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 15

Hi, I would estimate what you need as about 9 cups of ganache which according to my chart equals 60 oz. chocolate, 30 oz. heavy cream - this should get you a 3/16" thick layer, assuming that these are round cakes.

If, however you are like me, I ALWAYS make extra, b/c you can freeze the leftovers and the worst thing that can happen is to run out in the middle of icing your cake.

HTH, Laurie

MiriamG Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:00pm
post #3 of 15

Laurie, thanks so much!! Which chart do you have (and more importantly, where can I get one? icon_biggrin.gif )

I totally agree, much worse to have too little than too much.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 15

As far as I recall, 8 pounds of semi sweet choc, 4 pounds of cream was enough to cover it--with a few extra.

MiriamG Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks, Rylan!! I bought some Callebaut chocolate today.....very high quality stuff, very pricey. Do you think it would be okay to mix some of the better chocolate with some semi-sweet chips, or am I asking for trouble by doing that?

Rylan Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 15

Miriam, I have never tried mixing the two together although Callebaut alone works great.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:46pm
post #7 of 15

I worked under a pastry chef that told me a mix of different chocolates in ganache makes the best tasting ganache. I don't know if that's true, because I just use Ghiradelli dark chocolate...but he always used three different types of dark or semi sweet chocolate in his ganache. Usually like half Callebaut or something, and then 1/4 Hershey and 1/4 whatever else...whatever he had.

So anyway yeah you can mix it. thumbs_up.gif

MiriamG Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:40pm
post #8 of 15

Awesome, thank you all so much for the advice!

Okay, then one more question icon_biggrin.gif :

I have to deliver the cake on Sunday at 10am. I already baked all the tiers, and put them in the freezer (yesterday).

I can't work on the cake much on Saturday, so should I schedule like this:
- Make ganache on Thursday and let set overnight
- Thaw, torte, fill, coat, and cover (with fondant) the cake on Friday
- Do final decorations in my limited time on Saturday (I'm making flowers ahead of time,etc...)

OR, should I move the whole thing up a day and do the ganache Wednesday night, etc?? Will the cake suffer if it sits an extra day before delivery?

Thank you, thank you all again!!
Miriam

Kitagrl Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:42pm
post #9 of 15

On a busy weekend I certainly will start working on a cake on Wednesday for the weekend if I have to...I just keep it in the fridge. Sometimes if I have multiple orders I will schedule myself one cake per day until I'm done.

Good luck!

MiriamG Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:46pm
post #10 of 15

But can I put it in the fridge when it's already covered in the ganache and fondant? I thought that was a "no-no." icon_surprised.gif

Kitagrl Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #11 of 15

I store all my cakes, without exception, in my "cake fridges" with locks. thumbs_up.gif

The only thing I find with ganache is if the fridge is too icy- cold it can crack...but I don't use alot of ganache....

Toptier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Toptier Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 12:54am
post #12 of 15

Hmm, Rylan you're double my estimate, I better check my figures! I do tend to go thinner on ganache though.

I put ALL my cakes in the fridge, yes to the ganache/fondant ones, but I live in a dry climate, they condensate when pulled out but it hasn't been a problem. I do like to use perishable fillings so into the fridge they go.

MiriamG Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 1:26am
post #13 of 15

Wow...i never thought i could refrigerate (which explains all my last-minute panic attacks!). I'm afraid of the condensation. Maybe I should reconsider.

It's been VERY humid here. I made gum paste orchids on Sunday morning, and went to assemble the parts tonight and they're still soft. Not mushy-soft, but break-easily-soft. And I've had the AC running...

Rylan Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 2:24am
post #14 of 15

Top tier, you must be right. I just realized that she mentioned 4" tall tiers. Most of my tiers are 5 inches tall with a thick coating. I agree, my estimate was too much.

MiriamG Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:16pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you all again for the great advice! Here is the result: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1752638

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%