Suggestions On How Much To Charge For Cupcakes

Baking By designsbydawn Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 1:29am by scp1127

designsbydawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designsbydawn Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 11

I have had my first request for cupcakes. I would love suggestions on how much to charge by the dozen for plain iced and sprinkled cupcakes. It will be will be homemade strawberry cake. I was thinking $15/dozen. I am making the baby's 1st cake and she called back today asking how much I would charge for cupcakes also. I don't won't to short myself but I don't want to over charge either. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

10 replies
Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:00pm
post #2 of 11

How much does it cost you to make the cupcakes?

I would start there and then check on the going rate in your area. With those two pieces of information you should be able to set a price you are comfortable with. Make sure you include the cost of liners, boxes, and ALL of your other expenses.

HTH a little. icon_smile.gif

adamsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsmom Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenette

How much does it cost you to make the cupcakes?

I would start there and then check on the going rate in your area. With those two pieces of information you should be able to set a price you are comfortable with. Make sure you include the cost of liners, boxes, and ALL of your other expenses.

HTH a little. icon_smile.gif

This is exactly what I did when trying to figure out my cupcake prices. Do TONS of research and that will help to give you an idea of what you would like to charge, but be sure to include every expense, even your time! Good luck! icon_lol.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:11pm
post #4 of 11

Good advice. That said, I charge $2.75 each, filled, scratch cake, bc swirl on top.

Cindy619 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cindy619 Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 4:53pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

Do TONS of research

I agree! I once had an order for 200 jumbo cupcakes and guess how smart I was??? I didn't do my research and I was afraid to charge too much so I charged $1/each. Yup, that's right. A whole $1 for a JUMBO cupcake! I worked my butt off for days and after the cost of supplies (including boxes to transport all of these cupcakes), utilities, etc... I probably made $.01/hr. I learned hard lesson that day! Since then, I have done my research and am not afraid to turn down an order if I'm not going to make enough!

designsbydawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designsbydawn Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 11

I think that my biggest problem is that I am scared that I will charge too much! however, with that being said I have gotten a little better on charging with my cakes bc it is so time consuming. It's not worth my time if I am not going to make something off of it. Especially with 3 kids and the time I am giving up with them to make the cakes. I just need to come up with base prices on cupcakes and cakes and build off that depending on what each customer wants.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 11

When figuring what price to charge there are several factors that need to be included. Like a pp mentioned the 'average cost in your area', cost of ingredients, cost of operation and what everyone seems to fail to mention...
skill level or quality of work thumbs_up.gif

galpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
galpal Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 1:02am
post #8 of 11

I too learned the lesson of undercharging. I think we are afraid to give value to our talent and artistry. I now am not so afraid to quote a reasonable market quote and if they think it is too expensive they can stop at the bakery down street on the way home and will quickly realize that my prices are fair and reasonable for a product that is far superior to what they will find at our local shop. With that being said, I also want to say that I started out with cheap prices because I viewed myself as an intern when I was honing my craft. Now with experience I feel I can charge a fair price according to our local market conditions.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 5:41pm
post #9 of 11

I think cupcakes should be considered a 'serving of cake' especially when filled, so I would price them the same as my per serving price.

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 6:08pm
post #10 of 11

After a recent order, I began to think like TexasSugar. I will be making a cake for a friend's daughter's 1st birthday next week, for 50 servings. I just got a request from another friend for 75 cupcakes with a fondant initial on each one for her son's 1st birthday. As I was thinking about it, if I had charged what I had originally thought about charging for the cupcake order, she would pay 1/2 of what my other friend is paying for her 50 serving cake! I had to readjust my thinking on this one!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:29am
post #11 of 11

Like any marketing plan, you must know your competition prices. Then you need to know how they taste. Find your place in the market and charge accordingly. If you cannot be competitive, it won't work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%