Using Design Ideas

Decorating By teaparty Updated 8 Jan 2013 , 4:00pm by Cake Crazy

teaparty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teaparty Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:49pm
post #1 of 10

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering what the decorum is for using someone else's idea that they have posted a picture of. Is it basically if it's posted you can use it, or do you need to pm the person and ask permission. Thanks.

9 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 10:51pm
post #2 of 10

always polite to ask first if you may.

rarely will you be turned down

imitation is the sincerest form of flattery after all.

teaparty Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 1:31am
post #3 of 10

Thanks Doug. I've pm'd, now I'm just waiting for a reply.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:29am
post #4 of 10

I also give credit when I post my picture and mention I was inspired by so-and-so's cake.

teaparty Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 2:46am
post #5 of 10

It has always been my intention to give credit where credit is due, I just wasn't sure whether I needed to formally ask permission. Anyway, I have and I'm still waiting for a reply. Not sure what to do if I don't get a reply or, worst case, permission.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:04pm
post #6 of 10

If you've asked and don't get a reply, then Id go ahead and use Plan B - give them credit when you post your pic.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 10

I feel if you want to keep a design to yourself you shouldn't post it online, anywhere. Other wise people will use your cakes to draw ideas from.

While I think it is nice to ask, I don't think you have to. It is also nice to credit who/what inspired you, but I don't think it is the end of the world of you don't, as long as you don't play it off like you created it all by yourself.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDiwa

I also give credit when I post my picture and mention I was inspired by so-and-so's cake.

me too

teaparty Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 3:36am
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone for the advise. I received permission today (yay!), so now all I have to do is make sure I do the original design justice.

Cake Crazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake Crazy Posted 8 Jan 2013 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 10

This was my concern as well. The talent on this site is incredible. I would absolutely give credit where it is due!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%