Google= :(

Decorating By jaycieellen Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 7:01pm by jmpm

jaycieellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaycieellen Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:06pm
post #1 of 7

Hello there! Me and my friend are going to make a Despicable Me minion cake!(: I was wondering if you could help me with what kind of supplies i need for it, ive looked on google and i couldnt find anything, google never lets me down! but neither does cake central! so hopfully yall will have answers!(: (sorry about the yall! im from Texas!) Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

6 replies
cakegroove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegroove Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 7

supplies...hmmm...that is a loaded question. assuming you have fondant/gumpaste tools? i would make this cake out of fondant and gum paste

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 8:17pm
post #3 of 7

Are you just making that one minion, and how many will it serve? Looks like you will need a 50/50 gumpaste/fondant mixture to make the goggles, fondant to cover the minion and for the overalls, not sure about the arms and hands, but someone else should chime in with that. Can't wait to see this cake!

jaycieellen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaycieellen Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 5:34am
post #4 of 7

this is my first cake to make that is just a plain cake with iceing,, so i have no clue where do you get tools for gumpaste and fondant tools? are they really expensive? yes one minion and we dont have a point of makeing this cake so it doesnt matter the size but not very big i mean something that like can feed 20 to 30 people i dont know exactlly how big that is,, and do you buy gumpaste and fondant or can you buy it premade and not online? and i cant wait to make this as well!

Liis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Liis Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 6:00am
post #5 of 7

to make a 3d cake in this shape i think as your first cake it would be a tough project. easier solution would be making a round cake and making a figure on top. You don't really need too many tools either. you need fondant to cover the cake. icon_smile.gif and food colours ( paste- not liquid), rolling pin,
sharp knife, tooth pick, circle cutter ( or you can cut the circle out with knife also) and make some thick paste of fondant and water to glue the pieces together.

I have to say that all the little gadgets for fondant are nice things to have but it is totally possible to make everything without the gadgets
x

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:27am
post #6 of 7

hi there, if this is your first cake rather than doing lots of carving I would make several small round cakes - say 5" ones and split and fill them with bc and stack them one on top of the other to create the rounded tall shape. Before you cover with fondant you can model a "dome" shape out of fondant to stick to the top of the cakes so that when you cover with the main fondant colour the cake has a domed top - saves you carving. The goggles i agree need a 50/50 mix and I would do the same for the arms. roll sausages of the 50/50 in the same colour as the fondant and sugar glue them to the sides. Support them underneath with some pieces of foam or similar until they dry. The details when made from 50/50 can be painted. I would paint the goggles etc before attaching them
I agree that you don't need tons of tools. Your hands are the best modelling tool
icon_biggrin.gif

jmpm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmpm Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 7

I would make MANY minions! Out of twinkies!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%