Strawberry Filling...jam Or Preserves?

Baking By ktbug Updated 19 Jul 2010 , 4:46pm by deMuralist

ktbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbug Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 8

If I make a strawberry filling by just mixing with buttercream, should I use strawberry jam, or preserves? I have heard both...and I need some insight. I prefer not to put the cake in the frig...Thanks for the help. Kati

7 replies
Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:24pm
post #2 of 8

I prefer jam as the preserves have larger and often denser (is that a word?) pieces of strawberries. These larger pieces of berries may often make cutting through the cake a problem and create a big clump in the mouth of the customer. However, having said that, you could certainly mash down all the large clumps if you only have preserves. Hope this helps.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:24pm
post #3 of 8

I use SEEDLESS jam. Don't think the preserves are seedless. Some don't mind the seeds though.

ktbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ktbug Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 8

Ok...Is it ok to mix buttercream and jam, fill a cake and not refrigerate it? And if so how long is it good for? Thanks again!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 8

I mixed jam with buttercream. It sat out at the party for HOURS....as do wedding cakes. Every had a piece of wedding cake that was cold?? The only thing that I worry about sitting in is mayonaise! LOL

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:30pm
post #6 of 8

I've also made a strawberry filling that sat out and was fine with fresh strawberry puree...It is basically a buttercream recipe with the puree added. It's a little less sweet than buttercream and jam...

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 8

I am in the preserve arena. But I must say that I can my own strawberry preserves, so my strawberries are a little more pureed than most preserves. However, I like the preserve flavor more, and you can always put the jar of preserves in a food processor and puree it more. JMO

Also, Preserves can sit out for hours (12) with no problem. But I suggest you make a batch with your buttercream added and do bit of experimenting with a couple of spoonfuls. Everyone's weather is different, so it may not last as long where you live.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 8

there is so much sugar it should not be a problem left out. If you are really worried, use a buttercream of crisco and use a non-dairy liquid. (ie. Indydebi's)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%