Bit Of A Rant From Me!

Decorating By Jo-melia Updated 26 Aug 2010 , 2:41pm by imagenthatnj

Jo-melia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo-melia Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 3:54am
post #1 of 32

Long story, short(ish) -
I'm making a wedding cake for my sister in law, she showed me a pic of a simple white cake with some black lacey ribbon as borders, it was lovely. She was going to buy the ribbon for me, since I'm doing the rest free/as a gift (not that I have a choice as I'm only a hobby baker and am not licensed!)

Fast forward a little, she purchases the ribbon/lace, it looks a lot like this
http://www.carnmeal.com/data/product/RART2529/large.jpg except of course it is black, it's NOTHING like the original picture! <--No offence intended to that lace, but it's not what I expected!! lol

Now I'm wishing she had just let me buy the lace, but it is what it is and I'm not going to say anything because it is her cake, and her day!

All done, I feel better now I've gotten that out!

ETA: Sorry I put this in the wrong place! icon_redface.gif

31 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:14am
post #2 of 32

Yeeeaaaahhh.... That's not exactly lace. I'm curious about the original pic. Do you have it and are you able to upload a copy? Did she keep the receipt so she can take that trim back and let you get the right stuff? icon_confused.gif

Sandy

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 4:15am
post #3 of 32

bummer. it will look alright, but that's not what I pictured from your description either.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 6:30am
post #4 of 32

It's hard when you have one vision and then the client changes it. Goes against the "artist" side of a caker. BUT I would use the lace she bought and you may end up very surprised at how wonderful it could look and she'll be pleased that you went with her desire.

Cat

Jo-melia Posted 19 Jul 2010 , 11:12am
post #5 of 32

Thanks for the replies, and for 'listening' to me complain!

I don't have a copy of the pic, I've had a look for it on google images, where she said she found it, but I can't find it. It was a 3 tier square with the ribbony stuff and diamonte buckles. I'll keep looking and upload it if I can!

I'm going to use what she gave me, partly because I don't want to tell her I don't like it! lol, but mostly because it is what she chose!
I'm just hoping she isn't disappointed that it doesn't look like the picture, although I'm sure she realises it isn't the same.

Maybe, it will be even better!! LOL
We will find out in September!

Jo-melia Posted 6 Aug 2010 , 11:56pm
post #6 of 32

Quick Update:

I don't have to worry about the black lace! The wedding colours have changed! lol! The accent colour is now pink! And, after the btb saw this pic http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1743509.html ,the middle tier is now going to be quilted with diamontes! Even thought there's no way I can get it that perfect!

So and top tier will be plain with pink ribbon, and middle will have the diamonds (I'm not sure yet if I'll put ribbon on this one, depends how neat I can get it!). No topper. Does that sound good?
We're getting even further from the pic, but I think it will turn out ok, as long as I can make it work!

Jo-melia Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 12:16am
post #7 of 32

Not sure if anyone's reading this but anyway, I have another update!
Black is back in, but not the lace, just a solid black ribbon, plus the pink ribbon, and now there's also talk of fresh orchids! icon_rolleyes.gif
If I ever go into business I am going to be VERY strict about design changes in my contract! icon_lol.gif

Oh well, I am kind of having fun trying to get it to all work together!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 2:03am
post #8 of 32

I actually liked those pics of ribbon! different and more lacy than just plain ribbon. it would have added som pizazz to the cake.

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 4:16pm
post #9 of 32

I've found most brides would like their cakes to reflect their personal taste, even when they find inspiration from other cakes. Often they want to tweek it some. So have fun with this and maybe even do some suggesting. After all you're the one who knows about cakes!!

Jo-melia Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 9:39pm
post #10 of 32

Debi - it wasn't that there was anything in particular wrong with the ribbon, it was just not what I expected her to give me, I was expecting something more 'elegant lacy', rather than 'cute lacy'.... Does that make sense?!

Khoudek - you are totally right - I saw a picture and set to work trying to figure out how I would match it exactly; she saw a picture with a basic idea, I guess!

Quote:
Quote:

After all you're the one who knows about cakes!!

Let's hope the little I know so far is enough!! icon_wink.gif

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:37pm
post #11 of 32

Hopefully, no more changes for you. icon_smile.gif That gets stressful at times.
Can't wait to see the finished cake.
and Good Luck thumbs_up.gif and have fun!
Jodi

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 18 Aug 2010 , 11:38pm
post #12 of 32

Yeah, been there and done that! I tell all my friends when I do the wedding cake there will be NO CHANGES one month from the wedding date. By that time I've usually gotten everything on order or purchased. Since this is MY gift to the bride and groom I feel like I have that freedom. Just a suggestion: If I were you.....I tell SIL NO MORE CHANGES to allow you time to practice or purchase...whatever you need.

GOOD LUCK!

Jo-melia Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 12:02am
post #13 of 32

I don't really mind the changes so much; it's just hard as a non professional, who usually gets to make whatever I want, not to be able to do it my way! icon_lol.gif

kanwal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kanwal Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 1:37am
post #14 of 32

Maybe you can have some other ribbon close by that you can add to it if it doesn't have the look that you or the bride envisioned? You could show it to her beforehand to get her okay.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 2:16am
post #15 of 32

You can buy a Diamond Quilter from JEN DONTZ, that will give you perfect Diamonds.

http://www.jenniferdontz.com/estore.php?category=tools/supplies
you have to scroll down, she has two different kinds. and she ships fast and shipping is reasonable like $6.00.

OR YOU CAN GET THE PLASTIC ONE FROM SHARON Z.
http://www.sugaredproductions.com/_catalog_85696/Buttercream_Tools
It's the diamond impression mat on this page.

cblupe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cblupe Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 5:29am
post #16 of 32

You will do amazing which ever way you go, just be sure to post pics.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:08pm
post #17 of 32

As long as you double check with her that its what she wants, you're fine!

I find sometimes brides do not know HOW to match ribbon...in that case, you need to make sure she knows she did not pick out the same ribbon/lace that's pictured in the original idea.

But she may have done it on purpose, in which case it will be just what she wants.

When I worked catering, the brides would provide the ribbon and it drove us crazy...they'd bring us 2" when they requested a design with a thin ribbon...or vice versa...or they wouldn't bring us enough....and we'd have to split the ribbon to get it on all the tiers.

Because of that, I usually buy the ribbon myself, except if they have a special request that I can't find at regular stores.

But then since you can't charge for cakes that makes it harder on you...

Jo-melia Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:54pm
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Quote:

I find sometimes brides do not know HOW to match ribbon...in that case, you need to make sure she knows she did not pick out the same ribbon/lace that's pictured in the original idea.

That is exactly what I was worried about initially Kitagrl! But we're not using hers now, so I have to find some solid black ribbon - which shouldn't be too hard!

I'm going to make up a practice cake - maybe minus the bottom tier for now, so that we can all get more of an idea of how the finished cake will look. I've got all the ideas floating around in my head and I can't draw to save my life, so unless I put them on a cake, they are staying in there!
Probably a bit of a waste of cake since I don't have any dummies atm, but I'm sure it will get eaten! icon_razz.gif

indydebi Posted 19 Aug 2010 , 9:57pm
post #19 of 32

I had a box full of ribbon (leftovers from previous cakes) and I'd pull that down to show brides. I'd tell them NOT to buy polyester, avoid satin, and show them the kind that worked best. If they liked a ribbon in my stash, we'd use that. If they wanted Just Plain Blue, then I'd pick it up. But if they wanted a specific shade of blue that matched aunt viola's eyes or something, they'd have to buy it and bring it to me.

But having the box of samples really helped.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 20 Aug 2010 , 8:33pm
post #20 of 32

What type of ribbon is best to use on a cake? I didn't know not to use polyester or satin. I love all the tips I learn on CC!

indydebi Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 12:36am
post #21 of 32

It's just that polyester and satin tend to absorb moisture more, causing spots. I used (ends in "....eurothane"?) and it worked well. Bought it in the gift and craft section at walmart.

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 21 Aug 2010 , 12:28pm
post #22 of 32

Thanks! I will check out Wal-mart!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:01am
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey0522

What type of ribbon is best to use on a cake? I didn't know not to use polyester or satin. I love all the tips I learn on CC!

I did not know that either, I was told only to use Satin.

indydebi Posted 23 Aug 2010 , 2:09am
post #24 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

...or they wouldn't bring us enough....and we'd have to split the ribbon to get it on all the tiers....

I did a blog article on how to figure how much ribbon is needed. Feel free to reference it with your brides.

http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/ribbon

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 12:06am
post #25 of 32

I think Maisie Fantaisie (in the UK) works with a lot of ribbons in her wedding cakes. They all look satiny. Take a look:

http://www.maisiefantaisie.co.uk/wedding-cakes.html

I have her books with step-by-step instructions on some of those cakes (Cakes for Romantic Ocassions by May Clee-Cadman), and in the materials she calls for "satin ribbon."

You'll do great.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 4:01pm
post #26 of 32

Also, Cotton & Crumbs in Flicker. She has made a lot of the same cakes and her pictures are large.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/39615881@N06/

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:52am
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by audrey0522

You can use satin ribbon on fondant cakes, but not BC unless you have a non-absorbent type of ribbon underneath it. You can get spots on satin ribbon from the BC. We get ribbon from Micheal's that kind of feels like plastic, and it is also really easy to tear to the right width. You could put that under the satin ribbon...Unless it is lace with holes in it then it probably wouldn't work! LOL icon_smile.gif

I also love the tips from CC..I have learned at least three already tonight!

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 4:55am
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I think Maisie Fantaisie (in the UK) works with a lot of ribbons in her wedding cakes. They all look satiny. Take a look:

http://www.maisiefantaisie.co.uk/wedding-cakes.html

I have her books with step-by-step instructions on some of those cakes (Cakes for Romantic Ocassions by May Clee-Cadman), and in the materials she calls for "satin ribbon."

You'll do great.

OH MY GOD! I just checked out her website and her cakes are Gorgeous!! Never even heard of her before... See! All the things I discover on CC....I think my husband would like it if I kicked my CC habit for a while....But think of all the things I would miss out on!

Jo-melia Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 6:31am
post #29 of 32

The new ribbon is satin, but the cake will be fondant... I got worried for a sec! icon_lol.gif

The box of samples is a great idea, Debi!

I'm happy with the design we have now and I've started counting down the days till I get started - I will be making all my fondant and ganache on Monday!
I'm so nervous, anyone would think I'm the one getting married! icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 26 Aug 2010 , 8:41am
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseak

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I think Maisie Fantaisie (in the UK) works with a lot of ribbons in her wedding cakes. They all look satiny. Take a look: http://www.maisiefantaisie.co.uk/wedding-cakes.html

OH MY GOD! I just checked out her website and her cakes are Gorgeous!! Never even heard of her before...

wow those are great cakes. Her serving sizes are interesting though. Based on the 10" square (she says it serves 80 ..... wilton's chart shows 50), these pieces are 1.1" x 1.1" x 4. (4.84 cubic inches compared to wilton's 8 cubic inches). Wonder if that's considered small or normal in the UK?

She shows a 6/8/10 square cake serves 155 ..... wilton's chart is 100.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%