How Can I Make Fog In A Cake?

Decorating By Occther Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 1:10am by Occther

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a Hawaiian theme cake for a former employee. It is based on the cake in Adam Sandler's "Bedtime Stories." The topper will be a volcano modeled from rice krispie treats around a glass and then iced with chocolate frosting. Will probably use cherry or strawberry filling for the lava running down the sides. We want "fog" spewing out of the top. I am experimenting with dry ice today. It fogs a little at first but then stops. I have looked into fog machines but they are too big. I am open to ideas!!

7 replies
eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 18 Jul 2010 , 4:26am
post #2 of 8

Ever watch Ace of cakes? They have done several fog cakes and I don't know if they used dry ice or a fog machine, but I think either way it ends up being rigged so that the machine- or the bucket of dry ice (it has been a while since I watched) was hiding under a table or in the back with a hose or a pipe attached that came up through the cake where they wanted it to 'fog'.

I know that one of the cakes they did it with was a train for a Harry Potter screening party or something, and they had the fog coming out of the engine. I know nothing about all this really, but can you put a pipe there instead of the glass and have a hose running from under the cake to under the table where your source of fog is? You may have to put the cake on some kind of rigged stand to make way for the hose.

I have never done any of this; just watched the show, but maybe it will help!

hollynme2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollynme2 Posted 22 Jul 2010 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 8

When I need fog or steam I use white cotton candy!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:48am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollynme2

When I need fog or steam I use white cotton candy!

Brilliance, I tell ya, BRILLIANCE! I will be making a Pirate Ghost Ship for H'ween this year and WILL be using white cotton candy now for the fog...PERFECT!

Thank you SO much!

Cat

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:58am
post #5 of 8

discussion of fog effects:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-688421-.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-648432-ice.html

the bucket with HOT water, hose and tube up through cake will give longest, strongest blast.

the only way to keep going is keep heating the water.

---

avoid the fog machines. the chemical, while considered non-toxic if inhaled really shouldn't be eaten and some will get on the cake

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:59am
post #6 of 8

Whenever I make volacano cakes I put a 2" diameter piece of pvc with a cap on the end down through the middle of the cake. THen I put quite a bit of dry ice in the pvc just before serving and pour VERY hot water in it....works great every time!

jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 12:59am
post #7 of 8

Be very careful when using cotton candy, especially if it is to be touching the cake as it will melt so you will not want to add it til absolutely the last minute.

Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:10am
post #8 of 8

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am going to "play" again this weekend. The wedding isn't until the end of August.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%