Is It Possible?

Decorating By shanienee Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 8:23pm by shanienee

shanienee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanienee Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:17pm
post #1 of 6

Is it possible to make a topsy turvy cake to serve 20 people. I have a client who wants a last minute cake ( for Friday night) and only needs to serve 20. She doesn't want the flat one, she wants the tiered one. Is it possible, and how would I do it?

5 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:06am
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanienee

Is it possible to make a topsy turvy cake to serve 20 people. I have a client who wants a last minute cake ( for Friday night) and only needs to serve 20. She doesn't want the flat one, she wants the tiered one. Is it possible, and how would I do it?

I would just say no.

The smallest tiered cake I offer is a 9"/6" which would serve 30...I guess if you cut some off you'd be down to 25.

That's the smallest I'd go, but then also I'm not a huge fan of two tiered topsy turvy cakes. But you could offer it to serve 25-30.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:10am
post #3 of 6

The smallest I'd do is 8/6/4 and that would still be a pain in the butt.

They'd get charged for the 40 servings in those sizes, though. And a hefty rush fee.

shanienee Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:28am
post #4 of 6

Thanks. She wanted a 3 tier, so the 8/6/4 works better. She is a relative and I told her $150. Does that seem reasonable? Or does it seem like to much. I will have to bake all night, and although it is to be covered in fondant, she didn't ask for any decorations on it, just bright neon colors.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 1:39am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanienee

Thanks. She wanted a 3 tier, so the 8/6/4 works better. She is a relative and I told her $150. Does that seem reasonable? Or does it seem like to much. I will have to bake all night, and although it is to be covered in fondant, she didn't ask for any decorations on it, just bright neon colors.

40 servings w/fondant, super rush....*thinking* $3.75/serving at $150...if you're giving her a discount for being family, I think that sounds fairly reasonable. I'd probably charge $5/serving in this case if it were for a stranger including rush fee. Maybe a little more.
Wilton has that neon-colored fondant which may make things a little easier for you. Not sure I'd mess with coloring my own for such a small cake.
Remember, no decorations means the fondant has to be flawlessly smooth because you can't hide a slight imperfection with a flower or a polka dot. I'd totally build that into my price. icon_smile.gif

Good luck and post pics!!

shanienee Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 6

I ended up doing the 2 tier 6/4. I charged her $65.00. Pictures are on in my photos.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%