I Passed!!!

Business By vmertsock Updated 17 Jul 2010 , 6:28am by SarahsSweets2006

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 10

I now have a licensed home kitchen! I can't wait to start baking! icon_biggrin.gif The inspector I had was an absolute pleasure as well. Much nicer and easier than I was afraid it would be.

9 replies
cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 10

Congratulations! Where are you located?

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 10

Congrats!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 10

Congrats!!!!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 10

I am so happy for you. Get to baking!!lol

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 10

Congratulations! As a NJ hobby baker, I'm envious...but very happy for you.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 10

Welcome to the club!!! I just got mine this last May and too was surprised how I freaked out over nothing really icon_smile.gif
There's nothing like the relaxed feeling of being legal huh?! Congrats!!

brensmom12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brensmom12 Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:32pm
post #8 of 10

Awesome! I the inspector just called yesterday to schedule an appointment for my kitchen next week. Where are you located? The inspector did want to take a sample of my cakes so I think I'll just make it easy and make cupcakes that dayicon_smile.gif Good luck to you!

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 4:38pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks so much! I'm near Rochester, NY. In Monroe County. I don't have the full 20C license, I'd need a designated kitchen for that. I have the exemption. So I can't take orders for cakes, etc. But I can sell at farmers markets, public markets, craft fairs, etc and also wholesale to restaurants and gift shops. It's a start! I was completely freaking out organizing cupboards, etc and he didn't even look. What really helped me is that I'm servsafe certified at the higher level so I've had rigorous food safety training. As soon as he saw that he said I was good to go and that I was at a different level than kitchens he usually inspects. I wish I could start doing stuff right now but I'm still waiting to hear back from our local farmers markets so I can start selling. Lol and with all the cleaning I tweaked my back so standing/twisting is rather painful right now. But at least I know I can if I wanted to! If anyone in Monroe County needs any information please feel free to PM me. I know how difficult it was for me to get through all the legislation and figure out what to do so I'm happy to help others!

SarahsSweets2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahsSweets2006 Posted 17 Jul 2010 , 6:28am
post #10 of 10

Hey-

I'm in Monroe County too, in Rochester. I have been doing cakes for friends and family but eventually (someday) I do want to start up a business. Right now I actually have a bakery interested in me... then I can do my cakes "for real". I have always thought that I wouldn't want to work for a bakery but I am thinking about it.

What did you have to do to get the license that you did get? Did it cost much? Did you not get the full license because you didn't have a second kitchen??

Any info you can give me would be great! Thanks in advance!

~Sarah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%