Crystal Colors - Purple And Fading

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 16 Jul 2010 , 12:04am by cake-angel

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 2:42am
post #1 of 21

Has any one had any experience with using purple crystal colors mixed into fondant. I'm considering using purple for my ices display cake but I'm concerned about fading issues. Does anyone know if the powder colors are prone to fading?

I am going to try to experiment, but thought some other first hand experiences would be beneficial as well.

20 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 3:51am
post #2 of 21

Beth Parvu told me unequivocally that they don't fade. That said, let us know how it turns out.

Rae

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 21

I did not know that Crystal Colors had colors that you could mix into your fondant and BC. I thought they only had dusts, etc. I love their petal dust - Poinsettia Red. I used it at Christmas on some flowers and it was the BEST dust I have ever used - brilliant and did not fade.

Please post again about your results with using it in your fondant and what you used as I do get a little upset when using Americolor and the purple's fade.

Thanks

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 6:22pm
post #4 of 21

Hi Texas sugar!
I used crystal colors to color fondant for roses for a display that was up in a store under florescent lights for over a year. It was a purply red color and it did not fade even one bit. The roses were just as dark the day I took them down as they were when I put them up. I was quite impressed. I haven't done it with plain purple but it seemed like a good sign.

TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2010 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 21

You can mix Crystal Colors into fondant, royal icing and buttercream.

I mixed some purple with fondant last night and since I have fluorescent lights in my house I figures we'd watch and see. So far no change.

I have since decided that I'm going to use another color for this cake. But at least we will know for future use how well it does.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:34am
post #6 of 21

Crystal Colors are awesome and don't fade!

cakesbyk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyk2 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 12:56am
post #7 of 21

Where do you get theses colors?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:03am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyk2

Where do you get theses colors?

Sugarpaste.com

Rae

costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:03am
post #9 of 21

www.sugarpaste.com

TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:28pm
post #10 of 21

Glad to know they won't fade. She has some of the most gorgous colors there are!

I've had them for years but this is the first time I'm mixing them rather than dusting them. I forget I have them when I am doing regular cakes. I'm going to have to change that. icon_smile.gif

I buy mine at the ICES convention.

cake-angel Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:39pm
post #11 of 21

Global Sugar Art carries them too.

cakesbyk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyk2 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 1:48pm
post #12 of 21

Thank you to all that replied. Everyone have a Blessed Week!!! thumbs_up.gif

TexasSugar Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 2:27pm
post #13 of 21

What is cool about these colors is they are FDA approved, so they are completely edible. You can blend them in with icing, dust flowers with them or mix them with alcohol to paint with. Very versital.

Beth's Husband actually mixes all the colors for her. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 9:53pm
post #14 of 21

So far no change.

I moved it to my kitchen window Tuesday, and while it isn't in the direct sunlight it is getting plenty of sunlight. In the evening it has been under florescent light for several hours.

cake-angel Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:14pm
post #15 of 21

Yay! Good to know there is a purple out there that is resistant to fading!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 14 Jul 2010 , 11:24pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake-angel

Yay! Good to know there is a purple out there that is resistant to fading!

Yep....I'm going to have to get some of this stuff~~Thanks for the update!

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 3:36pm
post #17 of 21

The color I tried it with is a deep dark purple. It is still a deep dark purple. icon_smile.gif

I took a picture of it the night I did it. After this weekend I'll have to take another picture and post it on here for ya'll. icon_smile.gif

costumeczar Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 5:00pm
post #18 of 21

Here's a link to an interview I did with Beth Parvu about the colors, and there's a picture of the blackberry color on some callas I made. Is this the same color you used? I loooove it! http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2010/01/interview-beth-parvu-on-crystal-colors.html

TexasSugar Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 6:39pm
post #19 of 21

I want to say it was African Violet. I'll have to go home and look at the lid tonight. I'll be buying more of these at the covention this year.

Have you used them in buttercream? I'm curious how many batches of icing you can get out of the jar. Hmmm.

Here is the picture that I took the first night. It does look more purple in person, but you can see how deep the color is. The bottom color is Cactus Blossom I believe.
LL

costumeczar Posted 15 Jul 2010 , 11:29pm
post #20 of 21

You still need to use a decent amount for dark icing colors, but the color won't change, which is worth it for me. I've iced things in lavender and had it change to blue in an hour, so anything that doesn't fade is okay with me!

cake-angel Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:04am
post #21 of 21

I agree. No fading gets a big thumbs up and purple shades are the worst so it is soooo great to know there is a product out there that holds it's color. Especially when purple seems so popular these days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%