Pudding In The Mix

Baking By DaveInTulsa Updated 10 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm by SuzyNoQ

DaveInTulsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaveInTulsa Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 2:53am
post #1 of 8

I grabbed some white cake mix today, and some coconut creme pudding for flavor and realized the mix already had pudding in it. I'm making the WASC recipe and wondered if the pudding in the mix was sufficient? I'm afraid if I add more pudding I"ll end up a cake that's too heavy. Maybe extract for flavor is a better idea?

7 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 3:09am
post #2 of 8

So, are you thinking of making the WASC recipe with the addition of pudding also? Hummm not sure if you would need it. Have you made it before? Have you tried the Durable cake for 3d or wedding recipe? That calls for pudding. If you try it and it comes out good, let us know!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:43am
post #3 of 8

If the mix already has pudding in it, I don't suggest adding additional instant pudding mix to it. Coconut extract will work.

I use Duncan Hines mixes because they don't have pudding in them. That way, I can add any flavor I want.

Rae

DaveInTulsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaveInTulsa Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 8

Sorry, I meant the durable recipe. I actually grabbed DH mixes and got to the checkout line and took them back and exchanged for BC. I've heard DH doesn't work as well. So I'm making the durable recipe with pudding already in the mix. The WASC was too crumbly for me, I wonder what it would be like with pudding added?

LEHLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LEHLA Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 12:40pm
post #5 of 8

I always add pudding to the WASC recipe and i have great compliments on it!! Very Very moist!!!

d925marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
d925marie Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 8

When i first started making cakes, I used a lot of the cake doctor recipes. She says not to add pudding to a mix that already has pudding. However, since I've been trying more things on my own, I HAVE added pudding to some of the mixes that already had pudding. It did make the cake slightly more dense than a traditional box mix, but it was still very good.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInTulsa

Sorry, I meant the durable recipe. I actually grabbed DH mixes and got to the checkout line and took them back and exchanged for BC. I've heard DH doesn't work as well. So I'm making the durable recipe with pudding already in the mix. The WASC was too crumbly for me, I wonder what it would be like with pudding added?

I always use DH for the durable cake recipe, it has now replaced the WASC as favorite in our house , and it works great!! thumbs_up.gif

SuzyNoQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyNoQ Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 8

I've only used pudding instead of sour cream in the wasc, I have had many compliments on it and even had someone not belive me that it was a doctored cake mix. I added a 1/4c extra flour when I realized there was pudding in the mix once, and you wouldn't have known the difference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%