Best Way To Attach Ribbon To Cake

Decorating By hvanaalst Updated 3 Apr 2014 , 6:11pm by Rosie93095

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 14

I am making a wedding cake for a friend and it is 4 tiers, covered in chocolate fondant and she has given me some green satin type ribbon to put around the bottom of each layer. When I did my test cake I used butter cream to attach and of course it showed like a wet spot wherever it was. Can someone give me some advice as to how to do it to look the nicest?

I tried doing a search but nothing related to attaching ribbon came up...one day I will figure out how to effectively use the search engine on here.

Thanks.

13 replies
lilrhodybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilrhodybaker Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 14

I've heard of people using the Glad Press 'n seal. They attach it to the ribbon and then they put it on the cake, that way the icing won't bleed through the ribbon. However if you are using a sheer type ribbon, this method may not work for you. Hopefully someone else here can answer your question better. icon_smile.gif

KatsSuiteCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatsSuiteCakes Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 5:59pm
post #3 of 14

Some people actually coat the entire ribbon lightly with crisco, so that there are no obvious grease marks. I read on another thread that you can iron one side of the ribbon against a piece of waxed paper then remove, and apply the back side of the ribbon to the cake, whereby giving the ribbon a buffer of waxed paper coating. Hope that makes sense. I've never tried it, but for what it's worth sounds feasible. Good luck!

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 14

I am doing a 4 tier wedding cake this next week with ribbon and a bow around 2 of the tiers, I will just be using royal icing at the seem, but it will be covered with a bow, so I am not too worried about a spot. My sister has used ribbon several times and always uses royal icing with no problems.

paulacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulacake Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 14

I made a 4 tier butter cream wedding cake with a pink ribbon around each tier. I used double sided tape then placed wax paper over it. I used a quilt cutter to trim it. Worked great, no grease marks. I did try to iron the wax paper on the ribbon.....didn't work. Hope this helps

hvanaalst Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies. Maybe I will try the double sided tape first.

All4Show Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
All4Show Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 14

I used clear packing tape and stuck it to the back of the ribbon. Just trim it with scissors if it's not the right width. No grease will show through.

arwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arwa Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 6:53pm
post #8 of 14

I've used egg white n it worked great ...

hvanaalst Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 14

The double sided tape just to stick the ribbon ends together worked great. Nice and neat and held it all night.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 7:44pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanaalst

I am making a wedding cake for a friend and it is 4 tiers, covered in chocolate fondant and she has given me some green satin type ribbon to put around the bottom of each layer. When I did my test cake I used butter cream to attach and of course it showed like a wet spot wherever it was. Can someone give me some advice as to how to do it to look the nicest?

I tried doing a search but nothing related to attaching ribbon came up...one day I will figure out how to effectively use the search engine on here.

Thanks.

If you ever so slightly moisten your fondant...like run a damp paint brush around the bottom it should work and not show through. If you attach with buttercream or RI you will need to back your ribbon with wax paper or some other backing so that there will be no spotting. If you can attach just at the back that would be the best--certainly the easiest, but sometimes the ribbon will loosen or pull away. Just depends. good luck! thumbs_up.gif

KristasKakes78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristasKakes78 Posted 10 Jul 2010 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 14

I just finished attaching ribbon to a tiered wedding cake,I used double sided tape to attach wax paper to the back of the ribbon and then stuck it to the cake with dots of icing, worked great.

montanabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanabaker Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 10:46pm
post #12 of 14

Wax paper, double stick taped to the ribbon.

katecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katecupcake Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 14

Just seen this thread, I always struggle with this myself. When I'm just baking for friends and family although it may not the safest approach I will use a pin. I will try some of the other suggestions here too. Have any of you heard of this new site called bakingit.com? I just downloaded one of their apps and I'm finding it really useful when I make cakes. 

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 3 Apr 2014 , 6:11pm
post #14 of 14

Scrapbooking tape DOTS

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%