3D Dragon

Decorating By elipsis Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 1:49pm by Gingerbread_from_Germany

elipsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elipsis Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:38am
post #1 of 4

Ok I've bitten off way more than I can chew! Any help would be appreciated.
My nephew is wanting this cake, I've warned him that it may just come to him looking like a pile of fondant but I will try!
I do not know who did the original to give the credit to, but it is beautiful!

The plan would be to carve the body add RKT for the neck, head and bottom part of the back feet. I don't see the front feet but I will add some there also?! Dirty ice the cake then cut the fondant in varying size circles for the scale effect and attach to the dragon.

1. Would I put on the fondant then color this?
2. Any hint on the eyes because I have no idea!
LL

3 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 4

Do you have an airbrush?

This cakes looks like it was air brushed, thats not to say it couldn't be done with out one.

What i would do is base color the fondant in yellow. Then cover the whole cake, i would smooth the fondant out then take the wide end of a tip to emboss the scales. I would then take different color food coloring and paint the cake with a brush (i don't own an air brush) I think i would mix a little pearl dust into my colors to get a nice shiny glittery effect.

As far as the front paws look to the left of the dragons head it looks like that might be a paw

elipsis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elipsis Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 4

thank you soo much peg818 sound way better than stamping out all those circles. No I do not own an airbrush. Any tips on laying the fondant. I'm very comfortable with regular cakes but no experience on laying it on a 3d cake. Again thank you for all your help! icon_biggrin.gif

Gingerbread_from_Germany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerbread_from_Germany Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 4

Hello,

this dragon cake was made by Lindy Smith from England. It actually won the readers vote for the best iconic cake of the last few years.
I am pretty sure it wasn't airbrushed.

If I was you, I would google Lindys website and then send her a message, she is really helpful and friendly. I also think, that there was a tuturiol in how to do this exact cake in the magazine, when it won the best iconic cake. But you would have to ask Lindy that.

If I could give you a tip on the scales (if you look at my photos, you will see an oval cake with the fish on top of it) cutting them with a teardrop shaped cutter actually works better than with a round one - at least it did for me on my fish.

I hope that helps you and I look forward to seeing your version!
I am also tempted to try my hand at this cake, as it is absolutley stunning.

Good luck, thumbs_up.gif
Marina

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%