Boxed Cake Mix

Decorating By dianasweetcake Updated 21 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm by calicopurr

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 12:48am
post #31 of 43

I will speak up for the Pillsbury too, I actually did a taste test with the people I work with and my family, and almost everyone with the exception of two people liked Pillsbury the best, it was the White cake mix that we tested. For testing purposes I didn't do any doctoring to the mixes. I still buy DH and BC for the variety of flavors that they offer, but my goto cake is Pillsbury. I am wanting to try indydebi's recipe with the dream whip, does anyone remember what all she said she put in it?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:34am
post #32 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by klangl

I will speak up for the Pillsbury too, I actually did a taste test with the people I work with and my family, and almost everyone with the exception of two people liked Pillsbury the best, it was the White cake mix that we tested. For testing purposes I didn't do any doctoring to the mixes. I still buy DH and BC for the variety of flavors that they offer, but my goto cake is Pillsbury. I am wanting to try indydebi's recipe with the dream whip, does anyone remember what all she said she put in it?

Yes, I made one today. One package of Dream Whip and an extra egg. They rise nicely. thumbs_up.gif

klangl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klangl Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:52am
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:
Originally Posted by klangl

Yes, I made one today. One package of Dream Whip and an extra egg. They rise nicely. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for the reply Mamawrobin, on the recipe! I think I'm going to make it this weekend!

mamawrobin Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 5:58am
post #34 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemchina

Quote:

I've got to make my nephew's birthday cake this weekend and he wants chocolate. I'm so going to try the BC Triple Chocolate cake mix. I use DH Dark Chocolate Fudge usually but the triple chocolate sounds tempting.

THE Triple chocolate is amazing. This is the one I use for chocolate cake, and people love it!. Sometimes I even sift it before adding anything else, since it has mini chocolate chips. After everything is blended I fold them back in.

For White cake I like Pillsbury. The texture is very fine, and looks like wedding cake. My recipe adds white chocolate, and I'm getting a following of people wanting THAT cake! It has become the new Favorite around my family. I tried it with a DH mix the other day, and it was just not the same. I find DH give you a thicker crumb. I notice the cake gets a little crumbly towards the bottom when slicing. How much liwuid do you all you with your DH mixes?

I add only 1 cup of liquid to my Duncan Hines mixes. This is even with adding 1 cup of flour, sugar etc. I ALWAYS sift my cake mixes. I sift all dry ingredinets. Ya just never know what might be in there...LOL..

My favorite white cake recipe is kakeladi's WASC using the DH white cake mix with 6 ounces of Baker's white chocolate , melted, added to the batter. I don't use any almond flavoring though...I absolutely HATE the flavor. I add extra vanilla instead.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 7:41am
post #35 of 43

Betty Crocker. A few years back DH changed thier choc recipe and it's never been the same.. texture or taste. I've done scratch, but will go BC first, then Pillsbury for the white. Pillsbury white = thumbs_up.gif

I doctor and personalize the recipe, but begin with box for convenience: pre-measured dry ingredients. In an apartment with little freezer space in So. Fla, I just don't have the room to store packages of dry ingredients.

Sandy

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 2:19pm
post #36 of 43

I prefer DH, for the extra batter and love the way it turns out. I doctor all my cakes as well. Betty is my 2nd choice. I like the different flavors as well. I do not use Pillsbury at all. Every time I have used it, my cakes crumble and it has a fake artificial flavor especially their strawberry.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 16 Jul 2010 , 4:36pm
post #37 of 43

I have always used DH. But after reading this thread I may have to try Betty Crocker.

calicopurr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicopurr Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:47pm
post #38 of 43
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Use to always use DH because it made more batter, but started using BC because it has a few flavors that DH didn't. I really like BC Golden Vanilla and Triple Chocolate.

I've got to make my nephew's birthday cake this weekend and he wants chocolate. I'm so going to try the BC Triple Chocolate cake mix. I use DH Dark Chocolate Fudge usually but the triple chocolate sounds tempting.

So how did it come out? Did you like it and did you use the extender? If you did use an extender, which recipe did you use? Sounds delish...triple choc!!

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:58pm
post #39 of 43

I only use Pillsbury...mainly b/c it's the cheapest(.80) and I only use the white cake mix for my base of any cake flavor I make.

mamawrobin Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:23pm
post #40 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by calicopurr

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Use to always use DH because it made more batter, but started using BC because it has a few flavors that DH didn't. I really like BC Golden Vanilla and Triple Chocolate.

So how did it come out? Did you like it and did you use the extender? If you did use an extender, which recipe did you use? Sounds delish...triple choc!!

Yes I did use it. Had to go to 2 different stores to find it though. icon_lol.gif
I added 1 c. all purpose flour, 1 c. sugar, 1 c. sour cream 1 tablespoons vanilla, 3 eggs and 1 cup of cold coffee to mine. It was really good.

calicopurr Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 10:43pm
post #41 of 43
Quote:
Quote:

Yes I did use it. Had to go to 2 different stores to find it though. icon_lol.gif
I added 1 c. all purpose flour, 1 c. sugar, 1 c. sour cream 1 tablespoons vanilla, 3 eggs and 1 cup of cold coffee to mine. It was really good.

Do you have a Walmart nearby? Right now at my WM, the Betty Crocker is .98. HTH

PS-Thanks for your quick reply.

mamawrobin Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 5:27am
post #42 of 43

[quote="calicopurr"]

Quote:
Quote:

Do you have a Walmart nearby? Right now at my WM, the Betty Crocker is .98. HTH

PS-Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes..I do and Betty Crocker was 98 cents when I bought it the other day
thumbs_up.gif Is that a special? I noticed that DH is the most expensive $1.12 and PB is 88 cents. Of course my favorite mix is the most expensive. icon_lol.gif
Back around Christmas they had Duncan Hines on sale for 78 cents. I bought about 4 cases. Would have bought more but was afraid they'd expire before I'd use them. I do wish they would go on sale again soon!

calicopurr Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 7:40pm
post #43 of 43

I think it's on sale. Anything under a dollar is a good buy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%