What Is The Best Way To Do This Cake

Decorating By mom32008 Updated 13 Aug 2010 , 3:37pm by tiggy2

mom32008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom32008 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:06am
post #1 of 14

Fellow cc out there I need your help! A friend of mine wants me to make this cake for her But I'm not sure what the best way to make it is.

I was thinking of making a 3 teired cake, cover it in white fondant then make all the flowers, vines and leaves in white fondant also, puting in all together then airbrushing it in blue. That way everything is the same shade of blue, Do you think this will work or is there a better way??? Please help
LL

13 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:11am
post #2 of 14

I would color the fondant blue, roll it out, cover all the cakes with it...then use the excess fondant of the same color to cut out the flowers and vines! If you airbrush it you won't get a solid uniform shade on the whole cake and it will be a big mess!!

Also, it looks to me like the vines were done using royal icing, but you could use fondant for those and use an extruder if you'd like

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:12am
post #3 of 14

I would just make an ample amount of fondant at the same time. I would not airbrush it, it would be too difficult to cover all the little areas, above and under each shape which could leave you with darker areas. I think making extra fondant and prepping the pieces from that would be a little simplier. I would hate to have an awesome cake be messed up because to much overspray, or missing spots and difficulty getting it even.

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:13am
post #4 of 14

I would just color all of you fondant the shade you want, cover your cake, then cut your pieces. That way it will all be the same shade. I think the airbrush might be the trickier option because of all of the edges of the flowers & vines.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:17am
post #5 of 14

you got great advice from the other three.

mom32008 Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #6 of 14

Thanks guys, I'm just concerned about making the fondant and not having enough to do the flowers and such, I'm not a very good judge of how much fondant I really need. i will be doing a 12, 8, and 4 inch teirs

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:25am
post #7 of 14

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/fondant/fondant-amounts-to-cover-cakes.cfm

Generous enough amounts that you'll have plenty of leftovers.

Rae

ArtsyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtsyLady Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 2:31am
post #8 of 14

I agree with everyone else but it looks to me like the vines on that cake are piped, not rolled with fondant. It's a beautiful cake. I suggested this color scheme to someone today and they said "Blue and brown? That would look horrible." Wish I'd had a pic of this cake to show. icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 14

THat is my FAVORITE color combo..............in fact I recently painted my living room that shade of blue and got dk. brown slip covers for my furniture and dk. brown sheer valances(I think that's what they're called, you know the long scarf curtains you swag across the top of the window?) for all my windows I love the 2 colors together!

sherry_lyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sherry_lyn Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 14

In a class I took with Nicholas Lodge he suggested measuring by weight so you won't run out... color some darker than you want, then add portions to white until you get the desired color. Example: color 2lbs a darker shade of blue, then add a few ounces to 1lb of white, add alittle at a time until you get the right shade weighing each piece & then you'll get the right ratio so you can make as much of your desired color as you need. You can scale it up or down & have enough without coloring 10lbs & having 5 left over. Hope that makes sense... haven't had my morning caffiene yet. LOL

mom32008 Posted 12 Jul 2010 , 5:31pm
post #11 of 14

thanks guys for all your help!

mom32008 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 2:34pm
post #12 of 14

can anyone tell me what they would use to sucure the flowers on the fondant, I was thinking royal icing but I'm not sure??? Need help ASAP!!!!!

Thanksharla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thanksharla Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:20pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom32008

can anyone tell me what they would use to sucure the flowers on the fondant, I was thinking royal icing but I'm not sure??? Need help ASAP!!!!!

My Wilton instructor told us to use clear vanilla to secure fondant pieces to fondant.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 13 Aug 2010 , 3:37pm
post #14 of 14

You can use water to stick fondant to fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%