Petal Dust Color Suggestions

Decorating By Lizmybit Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 8:42pm by Rylan

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 9

I hope I'm putting this in the right spot.

I am looking to place my first order for Petal dust. Up till now I've just been buying luster dust at Michael's. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of color choices on the GSA website. I think this is the reason I haven't ordered up till now. I would love to know if there are certain colors you would suggest. Is there a "Primary Color" petal dust suggestion?

Thanks!

8 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 9

Petal dust is basically ground up chalk pastels.

I bought a box of chalk pastels at Michaels (48 colors, as I remember and with a coupon, less than $10). I grind them thru a small tea strainer using the handle of a spatula whenever I need them. I keep remainders in small portion cups with lids that I get at GFS.
Cheap & easy. You can mix colors to get other, and you can add cornstarch to lighten anything that's too dark or bright.

For items that will be eaten, I use Crystal Colors (sugarpaste.com) because they are the only FDA approved dusts & colors. They go a long way.
HTH
Rae

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:34pm
post #3 of 9

I usually start by thinking of what flowers I would like to make. I never use a color straight from the jar though (I usually mix). I always find myself using different shades of green for leaves. Try getting a shade of red, yellow, purple, orange, blue, etc. and get some charcoal and a shade of brown (cocoa) to experiment.

Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

For items that will be eaten, I use Crystal Colors (sugarpaste.com) because they are the only FDA approved dusts & colors. They go a long way. Can't be mixed with alcohol and shouldn't be steamed.

Rae

Hi Rae, I was wondering why I shouldn't steam Crystal Colors? I've been doing it for a while and and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.

Oh and also, there is this other FDA approved dust that I have seen at Cake Camp. It is a bit cheaper and also goes a long way.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 9

Beth Parvu, the creator of Crystal Colors describes them as "not liking" water.

They can get blotchy if they get too wet. I don't have trouble with a very light steam, but some people are heavy handed with it. icon_wink.gif

I know that Edward at ECG has FDA dusts. I've spent a lot of time with Beth recently and never asked, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a wholesale relationship???? She's pretty adamant about being the only producer of FDA approved dusts.

I love 'em, but they're too expensive to waste on dummies and non-edibles, for me.

Rae

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 9

I asked Beth about mixing the crystal colors to paint and she told me they could be mixed with alcohols.

ECG has a start kit that Ruth Rickey came out with, they are 24 colors she picked that she uses alot and have some variety to them.

Lizmybit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizmybit Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 9

ECG?

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 6:09pm
post #8 of 9

ECG is a company that has dusts.

Rylan Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 8:42pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for clarifying that, now I undestand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%