English Style And Australian Style?

Decorating By jacib Updated 9 Jul 2010 , 11:05am by auzzi

jacib Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacib Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 5

Two of the requirements for a 4-H cake decorating contest is to choose 3 of the 12 and it has listed " English Style" and " Australian Style". I am not sure what that would be. Can any of you explain this?

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 5

Well, I've had a lot of classes and I've never heard of "English" style decorating, unless they mean "American" vs. Australian, or they could be referring to several decorating techniques pioneered by British decorators, Joseph Lambeth and Nirvana.

Australian usually refers to curtain stringwork done either on a piped bridge or bridgeless. It's considered a rather advanced process and isn't something that most novices could do well enough to happy with in the end.

As for American, that would be the piping that you see like shell borders, ruffles, etc. Drop strings would fall into this category. You can find examples and tutorials on all of this at Wilton.com

As for Lambeth and Nirvana, Lambeth is a style of heavy overpiping, built up lattice work, royal icing cages, etc. Again, labor intensive, considered quite advanced, and hard to do well without a lot of piping experience. Nirvana is a method of flooding large cut out panels of RI and then decorating those--advanced, labor intensive, hard to do well without experience.


cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 5

Sounds like 4-H has set the bar pretty high, huh? That piping work is stunning.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 5

Wow, just Wow!! I can only dream of being that good! icon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gif

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 9 Jul 2010 , 11:05am
post #5 of 5

English style is probably Royal Icing

Australian style is probably Rolled fondant with piping

It would be better if she asked the organizers what is meant by the terms ..

Quote by @%username% on %date%