Filing Cake Dummies

Decorating By satiria Updated 8 Aug 2010 , 5:16pm by RafaelLogrono

satiria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satiria Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:17pm
post #1 of 10

I bought some cake dummies and began to file the edges down with an emery board and some small chunks fell off. I wasn't really applying any pressure at all. Is there a trick to this? This was a square dummy, BTW. Maybe I will have more luck with the round ones.

What is best to use to fill in the 'holes'? Thanks!

9 replies
confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:29pm
post #2 of 10

Can I ask why you were filing the edges? I am not really knowledgeable about dummies and didn't realize you were supposed to file the edges. The one time I used one, I used it as is.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 10

If the edges are sharp you need to soften them so that they don't tear fondant.

I don't file them, I simply take the dummy and press the edge of it against a table top to help soften it. You can also take a wooden rolling pin (wilton has one with a handle) that you can roll around the edges.

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 10

I have found that the quality of the foam will determine whether or not some little chunks fall off when using sandpaper to soften the edges. If the chunks are really noticable I soften the edges some more by pushing against the countertop. If the depressions are still there I fill them with some icing before I put the fondant on.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:19pm
post #5 of 10

The best thing I've found for filing dummies is the hard, white, sparkly styrofoam found in the floral department. Break off a chunk and file away. It works beautifully, but is quite messy. I recommend doing it outside. Determine the direction of the wind first, otherwise you may wind up with a face full of styrofoam!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 6:48pm
post #6 of 10

I also usually just rub it against the counter. If I do file them, I use the finest disposable ones.

satiria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
satiria Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 11:58pm
post #7 of 10

All great ideas. Thanks everyone. I bought quite a few dummies (since it cost so much to ship) so I'll have to practice and see what works best before I move on to the others. icon_smile.gif

TheSweetestThingCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSweetestThingCS Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:12am
post #8 of 10

hey! just a tip, i purchased thru ebay 4 tiers of dummy cakes for only $15 each set and free shipping! AND it delivered in 3 days!!! good luck with your dummy!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 12:28am
post #9 of 10

I've used the rolling pin that Texas Sugar mentioned.

RafaelLogrono Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RafaelLogrono Posted 8 Aug 2010 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 10

Have you ever sanded them down? I prefer to sand them down, and if by any chance I take a small piece off, I uually fill it in with shortening, but if its a big hole, you can take a piece of fondant and reconstitute the dummy with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%