Best Cake Mix For Tiered Cakes.

Decorating By Monique1 Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 12:42pm by mamawrobin

Monique1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monique1 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 8

Hi icon_smile.gif I normally use cake mixes for all my cakes and was wondering if it would be ok to use the boxed cake mixes to make a tiered cake or should I use a heavier cake mix (maybe pound cake). I will be using a plate and dowels to hold up the top cake. Thanks!!!

7 replies
MrCake01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrCake01 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 8

Hey Monigue,
I use the receipe below. It is a great cake for weddings plus it's heavy enough but also not to heavy.
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Kakeladis-Original-Wasc-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake-309528
Goodluck,
Mrcake01

sweetiesbykim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetiesbykim Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 8

As long as you have a good support system, which it sounds like you do, then it won't matter if it's a boxed mix or pound cake. icon_smile.gif

Monique1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monique1 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you!! I just want to make sure.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 8

With the exception of my chocolate cake, carrot, and Italian Cream, most all my cakes are doctored mixes. I use Betty Crocker for French Vanilla, Strawberry and Lemon and only add Cream Bouquet (an emulsion). They hold up fine. The bakery I used to work for used the Betty Crocker French vanilla recipe as their go-to wedding cake. Just about everyone ordered it! I recently did an Uncle Sam hat with alternating strawberry and french vanilla layers. They were 2 cakes 3-layer's each stacked on top of each other. No problems. And that cake sat out in a humid, warm house for 4 hours. Also did a 3 tier french vanilla Bridal Shower cake and a teapot cake. All good. (they're in my photos if you want to see). thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:28pm
post #6 of 8

Cake doesn't support cake...your support system supports cake..so you can stack angel food cake if you have the proper support system. I believe it was Collette Peters that said "you can stack jello with the proper support system" I'm sure that I didn't get her quote exactly right but you get the idea thumbs_up.gif

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:38am
post #7 of 8

I prefer Betty Crocker. I don't like Pillsbury at all.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 12:42pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettreat101

I prefer Betty Crocker. I don't like Pillsbury at all.

I don't care for Pillsbury either but I use Duncan Hines. I like DH because each box yields about 1 1/2 cups more batter than other boxed mixes. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%