Wedding Cakes Help

Decorating By barnes113 Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 8:38am by arseknoll1

barnes113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barnes113 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:13am
post #1 of 14

Hi, I'm a newbie and planned to do my first wedding cake, i was wondering what supplies would i have to pick up and tutorial that u guys many know of, i'm self taught and i have done several cakes on my own but this is on task that just seems to big any help would be great....Thank in advance.

13 replies
pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:12am
post #2 of 14

The supplies will depend on the size and design of your cake. Figure out with the bride how many servings, for that will determine how big a cake. Will it be buttercream or fondant? Will there be a filling other than buttercream? Take the time to figure all the ingredients from vanilla to eggs, etc. that you will need and plan enough time to acquire them. Do you have the pans for the design of the cake, eg. square or round or other? You will need a sturdy base for the cake- either a cake drum like Wilton makes, make your own out of foam core or cover a wooden board. The base needs to be extra sturdy to carry the weight of a large cake. You will need cardboard separators for the tiers and figure out how you will support these tiers. With dowels or some other system. Will you need ribbon or anything else to place on the cake? How will you transport the cake? Will you need some boxes? Then allow yourself alot of extra time- way more than you think you will need. Plan your baking and decorating time. Your first wedding cake comes with alot of pressure. Put all this down on paper- don't just keep it in your head. Good luck- you will have a great learning experience and the opportunity to take the wedding cake plunge!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:12am
post #3 of 14

I have to ask... if this task is too big, why are you doing it?

When is the wedding? How much time do you have to practice? What bride wants to be the recipient of your very first wedding cake experiment? What size is the cake? What's the design? Do you own wedding cake pans? (it's impossible for us to tell you what supplies you need, if we don't know the design plan or know what you already own.)

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:17am
post #4 of 14

CWR covered lots of good questions for you. But here's a great sticky on the forums that has TONS of great tutorials: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654103.html

HTH!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:29am
post #5 of 14

This is for tiers that are stacked directly on one another and describes how the support system works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qu9ZtV51RM&feature=player_embedded

This is a good source of information as well for wedding cake construction.
http://www.baking911.com/cakes/assemble_tiers.htm

This is about the SPS system and is part of the info that Leahs has given on this system fo assembling wedding cakes. It is quickly becoming a favorite method here.
http://media.cakecentral.com//files/sps_104.pdf

It is from this thread: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-603925.html

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:54am
post #6 of 14

Here is my tutorial just in case

Edna icon_smile.gif

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:03am
post #7 of 14

Cwr41, someone has to be her first wedding cake client . Sure she can practice ahead of time but doign your first wedding cake for a paying client adds a lot of pressure .

Barnes, I have no doubt that you can do this .. the links to the tutorials are full of valuable info and tonednas tutorials are terrific.

barnes113 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:06am
post #8 of 14

I would like to thank everyone for there help and kinds words, by the way the wedding is in early sept. i wanted to give myself enough time to do a run thru and work out any kinky i'll make sure i let u guys know how it went and once again thanks.... icon_biggrin.gif , by the way i know i need to by more supplies does anyone have any thoughts on a good place to get them. Thanks in advance.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:29am
post #9 of 14

I took a look at your photos. Cute Spongebob cake btw.. thumbs_up.gif I noticed that you don't have any photos of tiered cakes. Have you ever made a tiered cake? If you haven't or have made only a couple I would suggest making a cake the exact size that you'll be needing in September for a "practice run". You don't want this wedding cake to be your first attempt at stacking or building a tiered cake. I also suggest that you watch the tutorials the others have posted. I know that Edna's helped me very much as well as some of the others that I've seen on youtube.

Good luck to you and your "first" wedding cake....I wish you all the best thumbs_up.gif

aprilblack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilblack Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:38am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurDeCake

Cwr41, someone has to be her first wedding cake client . Sure she can practice ahead of time but doign your first wedding cake for a paying client adds a lot of pressure .

Barnes, I have no doubt that you can do this .. the links to the tutorials are full of valuable info and tonednas tutorials are terrific.

I totally agree... every single one of us made a first wedding cake at some point for a bride.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:26pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I noticed that you don't have any photos of tiered cakes. Have you ever made a tiered cake?

Exactly. That was my point and first thought. If you can practice making tiered cakes first, then it won't be such a huge task when it's called a wedding cake.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 6:50pm
post #12 of 14

Check out my signature, there is a link with different tutorials.

barnes113 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 4:57am
post #13 of 14

ok once again i want to thank all the wonderful people cc for all your help i'm going to do a few test runs hope it goes well.

arseknoll1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arseknoll1 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:38am
post #14 of 14

try to search from google or other cake sites. They will offer you some cake design and material that you will need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%