Cricut Cake Machine

Decorating By dodoubleg100 Updated 7 Jan 2011 , 3:27pm by Karen421

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:45pm
post #31 of 50

I just watched a You Tube promo on it. He said you can cut tortilla's, cheese, fruit roll ups, anything that has the thickness of 1/2 to 1 MM and the same consistency as gumpaste. He said if you use fondant to put in freezer for 15 to 30 minutes. Oh, also cookies need to be put in freezer for awhile before cutting.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 3:52pm
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

I think she's right Mel. I've read where some are cutting sugar cookies with it. icon_smile.gif

*Melvira is unable to respond at this time as she is currently jogging to her nearest distributor*

icon_lol.gif If it does cookies... kill me now, because I'm already in heaven.

Melvira, you crack me up...If I'm ever in Iowa visiting my relatives there I might just have to look you up! LOL!

Cat

dodoubleg100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodoubleg100 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:36pm
post #33 of 50

The only problem is when you put the rolled fondant sheet in the freezer before cutting,
afterwords it tends to sweat and become sticky. Well at least mine did. I appriecate all the
great tips and advice, but I just cant help but think that for as much money as the cricut costs
it should be as addvertised.

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 4:52pm
post #34 of 50

dodoubleg100
I agree with you about the advertising, and what the machine costs. I would probably be as frustrated as some people are if I couldn't get good cuts. I am disappointed however with the fact that more intricate designs you have to make rather large. You don't always want large designs. I bet they will come out with a better cake machine when they get all the compaints about the machine worked out. Then, I suppose anyone that purchased the original will be out of luck. Me included!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:38pm
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

grandmaruth
The cake housing does not fit into the regular machines, but the deep cut housing and blade do fit the cake, so you can cut paper in the cake.

Karen 421 Can you explain please how you cut cookies in the cake? What recipe do you use?

You probably use any good sugar cookie recipe. Someone used the NFSC recipe from the recipes here. I was lazy and used frozen store bought dough. If you look on pg 10 of "My success with cricut cake pics and tips" that's how I learned. (I will post the link below) I roll out the cookie dough to about 1/8" (a little thicker - than what I roll fondant) Then I DO have to STICK this IN the freezer. I don't put my fondant or gumpaste in the freezer because it gets really sticky. After it cuts it, I stick it back in the freezer, so I can move them with out them stretching out of shape. (It is really hot and humid here!) Then into the oven and Perfect cookies!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

HTH

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6873572#6873572

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 5:50pm
post #36 of 50

I am also very frustrated with this machine!!! But, I have never had a whole lot of time for trial and error, either. I have found that, as someone on this forum suggested, that adding tylose and letting your fondant dry for at least 8 hours has worked the best for the smaller cuts esp. fonts. It is frustrating though, that something so expensive is not more user friendly! If it were only as easy as the demo DVD made it look!! Oh well, I need to set aside a day when I can just sit and play with it........sheesh! but TIME who has that luxury!!! Especially CAKERS!!

iluvpeeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvpeeks Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 8:13pm
post #37 of 50

Wow Karen421. I read through the forum posts. I don't know how I missed that one. I'm going to try making the cookies. My grandkids will love them. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif
Oh, one more question. Do you still put crisco on the mat when cutting cookies?

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:12pm
post #38 of 50

what worked for my more smaller cuts was to set the pressure so that it DID NOT score all the way through the fondant to the mat. I basically cut the shape for me to go back with an exacto knife to cut out the shape. If I turned the fondant over I could see the outline of the shape but the blade didn't cut all the way through. I will admit that I was pretty frustrated having to go back with an exacto knife since I had paid so much for a machine that was supposed to be able to do this for me but again, it was late, and I was too tired to continue on trying to figure it out so I resorted to the exacto knife.

Also, I found that when I rubbed a light coating of shortening on the top side of my fondant the blade cut smoother too.

Karen421 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:09pm
post #39 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpeeks

Wow Karen421. I read through the forum posts. I don't know how I missed that one. I'm going to try making the cookies. My grandkids will love them. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif
Oh, one more question. Do you still put crisco on the mat when cutting cookies?

I had a very light coat of Crisco - not like when I am doing fondant or gumpaste, the dough was almost sticky enough.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 2:22am
post #40 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Melvira, you crack me up...If I'm ever in Iowa visiting my relatives there I might just have to look you up! LOL!

Cat

You know it girl, look me up, I'll hook you up! thumbs_up.gif

CCSP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CCSP Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 4:21pm
post #41 of 50

I have had my Cricut Cake for a few weeks now and I am taking it back. I have tried fondant and found it works best with straight gumpaste. I make my own gumpaste and it is too soft for the machine, so I have to use store bought. I use a sheeter to get it nice and thin, and unless I am making a large design, the cuts are not clean enough....they look a little jagged. I have wasted tons of gumpaste and hours and in the end, since I bake from home for friends/family, the cost is not worth it as I want to be able to do small designs and it just does not cut it for me. I have let the fondant/gumpast dry out, I froze it, but the point of the machine was to help me save time and money and in the end it costs me more. That is my experience with the Cricut Cake. I was soooo excited when I bought it and now just am so dissapointed. icon_sad.gif

bonniekaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniekaye Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 2:34am
post #42 of 50

CCSP, don't throw in the towel just yet! Send me a pm and I can send you to a web site full of great hints and tips for working with the cricut. You will love it when you are able to cut the designs you want.

Karen421 Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 2:47am
post #43 of 50

I agree!!! thumbs_up.gif

jenbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenbakescakes Posted 6 Jan 2011 , 10:38pm
post #44 of 50

Here's a link to the cutest cookies made with the cricut that I have seen...
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1690942
They're darling!!

pezadoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pezadoodle Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 1:19am
post #45 of 50

hi all!
i have had GREAT success doing sugar cookies with my cricut - i use the recipe from martha stewart since it does not distort when baking. i also recommend cutting the SHADOWS rather than the main shape.

as for gumpaste/fondant - i have had some success but not without LOADS of frustration. will be giving it another try this weekend after doing some studying up!

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 1:54am
post #46 of 50

I have the cricut cake and I am scared to even take it out of the box and I have had it for a few months! I keep hearing horror stories of frustration and dismay with this machine..is ANY one having great results and if so with what medium..fondant , gum past , frosting sheets, candy clay..I have just been through to much lately to become frustrated doing something I love !

Thank you

Karen421 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 1:58am
post #47 of 50

thumbs_up.gif I am thumbs_up.gif I use medium pressure, medium speed. I can use any fondant, fondant/gumpaste mix, gumpaste or cookie dough. I love my machine and have worn out 2 blades and 4 mats!!! Once you get the hang of it, it is very easy!!! But like anything, it takes practice! You can't get good at anything until you do it over and over and over again. The key is not to give up, but keep practicing!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 2:55am
post #48 of 50

Maaaaaan... you guys gotta quit!! How is a girl supposed to control her impulse buying. icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif [/b]

leafO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leafO Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:10pm
post #49 of 50

I really love my cricut! My DH got me MTC for Christmas so I've been playing with that too! I really love that I can cut out so many fonts now!

It did take a bit of practice to get it to cut well for me, and It still has trouble doing really tiny or intricate cuts sometimes. I've had success cutting wilton and satin ice fondant but haven't been successful at all at cutting MMF with it yet, even with added tylose. I found it really does help for me to roll it out and then let it sit for a bit before cutting.

Karen421 Posted 7 Jan 2011 , 3:27pm
post #50 of 50

I have finally ordered a new laptop, so now I have to decide if I want the MTC or SCAL. I am excited!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%