Ice Cream Cake Disaster!

Decorating By Deniro Updated 20 Jul 2010 , 9:16pm by krazykreiner

Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:20am
post #1 of 9

This cake is for my daughters bday! Whipped topping slipped off!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1730347&done=1

8 replies
frankdiabetes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frankdiabetes Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 12:35am
post #2 of 9

It still looks delicious! Is there anything you would have done differently? I'm making my first ice cream cake in a week or so and now you've got me a bit nervous. I bet everyone enjoyed it, sliding icing or not.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 6:04am
post #3 of 9

Did your ice cream maybe start to melt under the whipped topping, because it was out to long for decorating. If this is the case, perhaps you could make you decorations out of a frozen buttercream transfer and quickly transfer to cake. Also, I think that with ice cream cakes you have to let them freeze solid for several hours don't you? Maybe your ice cream wasn't frozen completely solid after molding it in the pan? I've only ever made one ice cream cake and I didn't go into any heavy decorating with it, because I was afraid it would melt on me before I could get it finished. I wish I could be more helpful.

Margieluvstobake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margieluvstobake Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 6:18am
post #4 of 9

I've only tried to make one ice cream cake, probably about 2 years ago. I softened the ice cream and pressed it into a cake pan lined with wax paper. I let it refreeze and when hard, I used it like a regular cake layer. I had trouble getting the buttercream to stick to it, but was finally able to get it iced. I don't feel like it was a good experience, so I haven't tried to make another one.

Deniro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deniro Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 9:47pm
post #5 of 9

I do plan on giving this another shot. I do feel that my mistakes were:

1. not letting the icecream refreeze over night in pan.
2. not freezing the actual cake part after cooling.
3. using whipped topping instead of whipped icing or buttercream.
4. airbrushing the whipped topping.

Hopefully by rethinking these steps I should have a better success next time around. Thank goodness the cake was not for a placed order or I would have been in a panic! Its still was delicious even though it didn't look pretty. icon_smile.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 9

Yes to all of you observations. The room temp cake melted your icecream. No way to fix unfrozen.

Next time, decorate in stages. Always in and out of the freezer.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 9:24am
post #7 of 9

I have made a few ice cream cakes. I bake a top layer and a bottom layer and "sandwich" the ice cream in the middle. Freeze the cake layers, soften the ice cream a bit then spread in a plastic wrap lined cake pan that is the same size as the cake and freeze everything overnight. Next day, put it all together and frost. I use Pastry Pride whipped topping and never have any problems not sticking to cake. Hope that helps for next time!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 10:45am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deniro

I do plan on giving this another shot. I do feel that my mistakes were:

1. not letting the icecream refreeze over night in pan.
2. not freezing the actual cake part after cooling.
3. using whipped topping instead of whipped icing or buttercream.
4. airbrushing the whipped topping.

Hopefully by rethinking these steps I should have a better success next time around. Thank goodness the cake was not for a placed order or I would have been in a panic! Its still was delicious even though it didn't look pretty. icon_smile.gif

good observation there.. you definately nailed your problems down , especially 1 and 2 . you have got to let the whole thing freeze and freeze well. even the whip topping needs to be frozen and decorated in stages.

krazykreiner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazykreiner Posted 20 Jul 2010 , 9:16pm
post #9 of 9

I am making a ice cream cake for my daughters B-day party which is going to be at a hotel. We are making a cake out of the betty crocker bake and fill cake pan. does anyone have a good way to keep? I have heard to put some dry ice in the bottom of a cooler and then keep the cake in that? Any suggestions?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%