Starting New Business... Need Information Or Experience?

Business By JeannieLudwig Updated 8 Jul 2010 , 3:51pm by Mama_Mias_Cakes

JeannieLudwig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JeannieLudwig Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 3:46pm
post #1 of 8

I'm from Ohio and am starting my own baking business in my home. I work full time at this point, so I wouldn't be baking a ton. In looking at the licensing for Ohio I'm having a hard time understanding how this works. I did see were you can not have pets. We have a small dog that doesn't shed. Can anyone give me some information on what I need to do or since I'm not doing it full time do I really need to get one at this time? I want to advertise in local paper and/or magazines, but not sure if I should if I don't have a license. Any response is greatly appreciated. : )

7 replies
tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 8

Whether you do this full time or part time makes no difference. The same rules apply to licensing, food handling, insurance, etc. regardless of the amount of cakes you do. I'm not in Ohio, but most of your questions should be asked and answered by the proper department that handles licensing there. As for your dog, if it says no pets, it usually means no pets of any kind, whether they are a non-shedding dog or a bird or a rabbit. You need to be honest and up front with them and ask if it is absolutley forbidden to have a pet in the household. Some states, like mine, will not allow free-roaming pets in the house, which is why I built a completely separate kitchen where my dogs don't have access to at all. But some states are firm in the no-pets rule and won't allow you to be licensed with any pet regardless of the type or if it is a nonaccessible area. All of these questions can be answered by your health department.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 8

I am in OHio, and yes, it is a little confusing.

You can LEGALLY sell out of your home WITH pets - under the Cottage Industry laws here. There is NO license involved. You basically have to label everything, with all ingredients, put on the label that it is home baked, and your info (name/address). You cannot sell ANYTHING that requires refrigeration.

Now, if you want a LICENSED HOME BAKERY - the requirements for that are NO PETS (doesn't matter if they shed or not) in the home, and NO carpet in the kitchen. An inspector will come out to your home and inspect it, make sure you understand safe food handling proceedures, etc. You get this from the Ohio Dept. Of Agriculture. The license is $10.

Either way you are LEGALLY allowed to sell products from your home. Read up on the laws on the Dept. Of Agriculture website.

Tiffany29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany29 Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:10am
post #4 of 8

Loucinda is right.
Check out the dept of ag. website or call them, they are very helpful.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 5 Jul 2010 , 5:34am
post #5 of 8

In Nashville, TN we are a no pet place and I am trying to convince my dh that it will be worth it for him to get rid of the fish tank (yes, even though I don't consider fish pets the state of TN does)

JeannieLudwig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JeannieLudwig Posted 6 Jul 2010 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for all the information.. : )

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 8

I would suggest for starting out you just operate under the cottage food laws...they're very lenient, the only stipulation really is you can't offer anything like cheesecake or puddings that require refrigeration, but I work around that quite easily and have a very wide selection of cake flavors/filling flavors that don't need refrigeration.

You can advertise, don't need a license, don't need inspections, etc. You MUST label properly though!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 8 Jul 2010 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 8

Ohio is a great state for home bakers. Here are some links that are very helpful.

Licensing through the Dept of Agriculture:

Cottage Food Industry Laws in Ohio:

Label requirements for Ohio:
ORC 3715.023 Labels for cottage food production operation, processor, or beekeeper.

(A) A cottage food production operation and a maple syrup or sorghum processor and beekeeper described in division (A) of section 3715.021 of the Revised Code shall label each of their food products and include the following information on the label of each of their food products:

(1) The name and address of the business of the cottage food production operation, processor, or beekeeper;

(2) The name of the food product;

(3) The ingredients of the food product, in descending order of predominance by weight;

(4) The net weight and volume of the food product;

(5) In the case of a cottage food production operation, the following statement in ten-point type: This product is home produced.

(B) Food products identified and labeled in accordance with division (A) of this section are acceptable food products that a retail food establishment or food service operation licensed under Chapter 3717. of the Revised Code may offer for sale or use in preparing and serving food.

Effective Date: 11-21-2001

Another thing is that I have come across is that some sites will not allow non-license vendors (even if it's not required in Ohio) at their sites. So when you do a wedding, you should check with the site.

HTH. Good luck on your new business!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%