Freezing, Leveling, Icing, Etc. Quick

Decorating By katibeth88 Updated 4 Jul 2010 , 11:17pm by Peridot

katibeth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katibeth88 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:49am
post #1 of 10

i knowwwww it's been mentioned before... even this week. And I've searched back pretty far through the forum but am still a bit unsure.

OK so i've baked a cake. Do I level the cake before freezing or when I'm ready to decorate? Do I crumb coat it before freezing or does it need to be naked?

The cake is for a shower NEXT Sunday, however, I'll be out of town most of the week and wanted to have it baked so all I would have to do is decorate when I return on Saturday. It'll still be fresh right??

9 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:53am
post #2 of 10

I bake, cool, level and torte, wrap and freeze.

Pull it out, fill, let settle, crumb coat and ice, then decorate.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:57am
post #3 of 10

It will be fresh if you don't overbake and make sure your wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. You should prob freeze it to help maintain it's freshness.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:15am
post #4 of 10

I actually freeze my cakes no matter what, they just taste better, moister. I had to decorate a fresh cake today and got to taste it, hmmmm sure like the freezing process better!

Darlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darlene Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 10

leah_s Do you use sugar syrup for moistening?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #6 of 10

[quote="Darlene"]leah_s Do you use sugar syrup for moistening?[/quote]

Absolutely. Properly called a "wash."

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 10

I don't use a simple syrup. My cakes are very moist (probably because I take them from the freezer, fill,crumbcoat and then let the cake settle and thaw under the crumbcoat at least 3 hours which seals the moisture inside the cake) and simple syrup seems to make the cake mushy for me.

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 10

I just froze my cakes for the first time yesterday. I didn't level & torte them first though. I just let them cool, wrapped in several layers of plastic wrap and then 2 layers of foil. Curious as to why to level & torte before freezing...is going to be difficult to do once they have thawed????

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 9:19pm
post #9 of 10

I basically do whatever I have time to do before freezing them. Sometimes that means leveling and torting and sometimes it just means taking them out of the pans and wrapping them up as fast as I can for the freezer. I always try to get them in the freezer while they're still a little warm - seems to work better for me. Afterwards, I usually thaw, unwrap, do whatever leveling and torting I didn't do before, crumb-coat and ice or cover with fondant. Other people (as you can see above) only leave the icing till after the freezing. So the freezing can pretty much come into the process anywhere you like, just as long as you do it while the cake is still fresh. It really does wonders for a cake, and I'm always leery of bakers who advertise that they never freeze their cakes!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 4 Jul 2010 , 11:17pm
post #10 of 10

I personally do not like to level and torte right after I bake the cake. I get better results if I bake, cool slightly, wrap and freeze. I feel that the cake is much to tender and fragile right after baking and breaks very easily. The ONE time I tried this method it was not a good experience.

For me leveling and torting after freezing is the way to go. I also let the cake thaw completely before I do this. I seem to have problems trying to torte a cake that it frozen even with my Agbay.

I am sure there are those of you who don't agree with my method but this what works best for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%