Fondant Bow - Help!

Decorating By HarrietBakes Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 8:18am by HarrietBakes

HarrietBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarrietBakes Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 8:21pm
post #1 of 10

Hello friends!

I am having some trouble.... I am currently trying to make a bow from fondant icing. I have looked on youtube and some tutorials are great but I can't really find a specific solution to my problem.

When I attempt to make the loops for the bow, if I roll the fondant really thin then the loop just loses its shape and goes flat. If I try using thicker icing, to solve the previous problem, then the icing cracks at the bend and looks unattractive (and also isn't really keeping its shape, still).

I've tried putting the fondant loops in the fridge for a bit to them keep their shape before I stick them onto the cake, but it just dries out further and cracks more.

If you have any tips, PLEASE help me!! I am getting frustrated.

9 replies
cakemamaP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemamaP Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 10

You should check out the Satin Ice website...they have some tutorials on there including a bow, that's how I learned how to do a bow and am happy with the way my bows have turned out icon_smile.gif Good luck!!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 10

Oh no...First rule, dont put it on the fridge. It will make it worst.
Lay the loop sideways in the shape you want them to be.
and let them dry well. Is best to add gumpaste to the fondan 50/50 or
tylose, or even do them completely in gumpaste. They are stronger that way.

Let them dry well, the longer the better, a few days is better than overnight.
You can hang them in a wood dowel (thicker one,like a broom size) to let them dry if you can't figure how to dry them sideways.
Edna icon_smile.gif

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 10

There are two different tutorials on cc that I've seen. One thing that I've found helpful is to rest the loops on there sides to dry.

Vimalai21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vimalai21 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 10

Why dont you try adding either gum-tex or tylose to your fondant to help it hold its shape better. Thats what i do, and it eventually dries up hard like gumpaste. Or use gumpaste.

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 10

I guess I'm doing it right if my advice is the same as Edna's. icon_biggrin.gif

Donnabugg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnabugg Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:12am
post #7 of 10

My instructor taught us to place wadded tissue paper in your bow to help keep its shape until it dries...

Maria925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria925 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:28am
post #8 of 10

I followed the tutorial found on cake boss:
http://www.cakeboss.com/FondantBowTutorial.aspx

I've made 2 bows using their instructions with no problems! ?Coupon=CC2015"icon_smile.gif"

Edit: Ok...I guess you are going to have to copy & paste address into your browser since CC is automatically putting a link where the word Cake Boss is icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:38am
post #9 of 10

I dry the loops over a plastic dowel and wire each one separately.

HarrietBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarrietBakes Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 8:18am
post #10 of 10

Wow thank you all so much! I will try again today and persevere.... I never through of drying them on their side, which now seems like the most obvious thing ever! I am in the UK and I have never seen gumpaste available here, but I will try and find some as it looks and sounds so much better for modelling etc. Thanks again all of you! x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%