I'm So Frustrated!! I Need To Vent!!

Decorating By CrumblesConfections Updated 3 Jul 2010 , 2:31am by JenniferMI

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:41pm
post #1 of 14

Okay, so I've been trying to practice the FBCT lately and it's just NOT WORKING!!! I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried an assortment of different images, but the end results are the same: Fails!!!! So once you outline your image with black icing (and I hope I'm supposed to use black icing), do you wait for the outline to dry before filling in the image with the colors? That's the only thing I haven't done and I hope that's the answer because I'm about ready to throw in the towel on this. PLEASE HELP IN ANY WAY POSSIBLE. I have watched Youtube videos and instruction from CC articles and I don't know what else to do. Thanks for your help!!!

13 replies
alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 14

I did one once and it looked pretty good... That is until I tried to take it off the acetate. The BC NEVER froze enough for that to happen! icon_sad.gif

But yes you outline in black and let it crust up (you can pop it into the freezer).

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 14

Do you have a picture of one you have done? Or can you explain the issue you are having with it?

The outline color doesn't matter, it can be done in black but it can be done in any other color. It all depends on the image and the look you are going for.

Sometimes I'll let the outlining crust before I fill in sometimes I don't. I've heard about people sticking it in the freezer before they fill it in, but since it thaws so fast that never made sense to me.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 14

what issues are you running into? how small and detailed is the image? what size tips are you using? How thick/thin is your icing?

bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 14

I just did my first one a couple of weeks ago and I didn't use black to outline just the colors of the cake. I used Indydebi's buttercream and I think it turned out okay. I chilled the FBCT for about 45 mins before adding it to the cake...photo taken before I took off the outer edge of the transfer. Didn't like the edge made it look to bulky. Here's the pic

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1712420.htmlst

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 14

Do you have a picture of one you have done? Or can you explain the issue you are having with it?

The outline color doesn't matter, it can be done in black but it can be done in any other color. It all depends on the image and the look you are going for.

Sometimes I'll let the outlining crust before I fill in sometimes I don't. I've heard about people sticking it in the freezer before they fill it in, but since it thaws so fast that never made sense to me.

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:15pm
post #7 of 14

Yeah, really need to know what's going wrong with it to be able to help? Not peeling off the paper? Not freezing? Just not looking right?

CrumblesConfections Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 9:10pm
post #8 of 14

The problem isn't the icing. I think my problem is the black outline running with the other colors. I can't seem to get that part right to keep this from happening. I have tried it on several different image sizes but the end result is the same. Here's the photo from the one I did last week. I didn't take a photo of the other one but I will when I get home.
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1724269.html

CrumblesConfections Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 9:11pm
post #9 of 14

I did try to do it also without doing the black outline but it didn't look right. It was in the freezer for over an hour but the icing still broke when I tried to remove it from the paper. Are you guys using parchment or wax paper?

MichelleB0802 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleB0802 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 9:26pm
post #10 of 14

i.m interested to know what works best because I have a FBCT in the freezer right now.

once you do the outline and begin to fill in- do you pipe over the outlineor just try to stay within the outline?

also is smoothing the back necessary? does it smush the icing together?

hopefully phoxphire1 and I can get help icon_smile.gif

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm
post #11 of 14

I've only done a couple but I was shown first by a cake instructor. There were a few key points that she recommended when doing a FBCT. First, we use a piece of plexiglass. Tape the image from which you're making the transfer onto the bottom of the plexi so it shows through. Put a piece of wax paper or parchment on the other side so you can see the image through it. I don't remember the consistency of the icing, but it did need to pipe easily. We used a tip 2 or 3 for the outline, and I think a 3 or even a 5 for filling in, depending on how large the area is. Also periodically lift back your picture and hold the plexi up to some light so you can see if you've got any gaps in the design. Once you've finished making the design, we built up the transfer quite thick with icing that was the same colour as the icing on the cake. When you ice the cake, it needs to be a little thicker than normal otherwise the transfer will show above it. Hope this helps. If you check my photos, the Harry Potter cake is a FBCT.

CrumblesConfections Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:24pm
post #12 of 14

@pmarks: I had success with the first one I ever tried about 3 years ago! LOL. The plexiglass is a good idea because my problem is not being able to see the image before finishing. And I also thought that the icing doesn't need to be really thick on the image but if it's not, it won't transfer well (from what I've seen. I could be doing something wrong). I don't like the way it turns out because the icing is so thick it is elevated too high on the cake, in my opinion.

CrumblesConfections Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:25pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleB0802

i.m interested to know what works best because I have a FBCT in the freezer right now.

once you do the outline and begin to fill in- do you pipe over the outlineor just try to stay within the outline?

also is smoothing the back necessary? does it smush the icing together?

hopefully phoxphire1 and I can get help icon_smile.gif

I've tried staying within the lines but it didn't work too well. I have seen others do tutorials and they are within the lines and it came out perfect. I hope someone can help us.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 2:31am
post #14 of 14

Personally, I like doing the chocolate transfers much more.... my customers love the fact that they are chocolate.

They are easy to do as well.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%