Using Almond Bark To Make A "ganashe".. Has Anyone

Decorating By bmoser24 Updated 9 May 2014 , 12:30pm by okstout4

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:13am
post #1 of 11

OK, I know it's not ganashe with this stuff, but I want to make some "mock" ganshe to practice with. I want to practice putting fondant on corners, and I need sharp corners. I'm prob going to give or even throw away this cake so I want something cheap.
My question is...Has anyone ever tried this before??? I hate to make unnessary dishes if it wont work.

Thanks

10 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 4:29am
post #2 of 11

No I never have. Some have said that they used candy melts.to make a "fake" ganache. If the candy melts work I don't see why the almond bark wouldn't.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 11

I've used candy melts to make Ganache, it works fine. I can't see why almond bark wouldn't work.

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 11

Just buy a bag of chocolate chips. I think it would be almost impossible to get a smooth ganache finish with bits of almond floating aroundicon_smile.gif

mariana7842731 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariana7842731 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I've used candy melts to make Ganache, it works fine. I can't see why almond bark wouldn't work.

imitation chocolate somthing but not ganache.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 11

Almond bark has chips of almond in it??? That's news to me.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariana7842731

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

imitation chocolate somthing but not ganache.

Call it what you want. I'm not going to play word games with it. The OP asked if you can make mock and the poster above me called it fake.

I answered the question that was asked.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 11

If you are referring to the stuff they package and call "Almond Bark" it will not make even a good "fake" ganache --too much oil in it. It is just as inexpensive to use a bag of white chocolate chips and you will get a much better product. After all, there is no sense in making a fake version to practice with if, when the time comes to make real ganache, it performs totally differently.

Quote:
Quote:

Right... the stuff they package and call "Almond Bark" does not have bits of almond in it. One can make a homemade almond bark using white chocolate melted and add chopped almond bits to it... then it is an edible candy much like the peppermint bark one see at Christmas.

HTH!

multilayered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
multilayered Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:29pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

Doesn't it?? I thought anything referred to as "bark" has bits in it , peppermint bark for example. If it doesn't then I stand corrected

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 1:31am
post #10 of 11

Thanks all, I just mess around with the Almond bark, and don't think it will work - added some cream and it was translucent,yuk. Chips are twicw the price where I come from...12 OZ $3.50 vrs 24 OZ under $2.oo, sooo I just made a real stiff BC to get sharp edges. BTW, I wasn't practicing using or applying ganache with fake ganache...i just wanted sharp corners and edges, could of been spakling for all I cared...LOL because I was actually practicing my fondant work. I like nice edges on squares. BC is usually too soft for my liking, but it did ok.
Made 2 cakes, gave one away and maybe will eat one if family isn't too sick of cake.
Good thing I didnt use spakling!!!
LL

okstout4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okstout4 Posted 9 May 2014 , 12:30pm
post #11 of 11

Cute cake.  I know this is an old post, but just wanted to comment. :)  I havent worked much with fondant, but I'd think using anything remotely stiff to put under the fondant would take away from enjoyment of the cake,but I could be wrong?  Ive looked through many wilton books and they have sharp edges and Im sure they are just using buttercream (unless foam to make mock cakes).  It wouldnt hurt to ask them how they make their edges so sharp and clean...I couldnt do it.

BTW, you cant add any water, milk oil, butter, etc to thin Almond Bark.  That's why it didnt work out.  You can add SOLID vegetable shortening though.   Your post answered my question....as Im needing ganache for a cake today and now I know I cant use  the Almond Bark my daughter got me from the store last night. :(  Its really made to harden up for dipping chocolates and pretzels...so it will work for the strawberries I will be putting on the cake.  YUM!

At least, I hope this post helps someone in the future.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%