Help With Wilton's Giant Cupcake Pan!!!

Decorating By lakergirl Updated 9 Sep 2013 , 3:16am by FrostFancy

lakergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakergirl Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:17am
post #1 of 23

icon_smile.gif Please excuse this if this was a previous post ( I couldn't find it!)
Just recently bought one of the Giant Cupcake Pans & I have MANY questions.
After reading other posts from web I am completely nervous about trying this pan out.
1) What are your suggestions for greasing- butter w/ flour~spray only or what?
2) Baking time and temp? Most have suggested 325 about 50-60 minutes?
3) Baking on center racks?
4) Box or homemade?
My biggest concern is the top getting done before the bottom*** Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Kim icon_smile.gif

22 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:46am
post #2 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakergirl

icon_smile.gif Please excuse this if this was a previous post ( I couldn't find it!)
Just recently bought one of the Giant Cupcake Pans & I have MANY questions.
After reading other posts from web I am completely nervous about trying this pan out.
1) What are your suggestions for greasing- butter w/ flour~spray only or what?
2) Baking time and temp? Most have suggested 325 about 50-60 minutes?
3) Baking on center racks?
4) Box or homemade?
My biggest concern is the top getting done before the bottom*** Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...
Kim icon_smile.gif

I made my granddaughter's smash cake using this pan. I used homeade pan grease for my pan. Ii just "painted" it on with a pastry brush.
Baking time I couldn't tell you...I never "time" anything...I just cook until it's done. Center rack for baking....YES I used box mix and cake extender recipe. It was just enough batter for the pan. If you use box mix adding the 1.cup flour, 1 cup sugar etc. will give you the perfect amount of batter. A straight box mix will not be enough batter if you only use one mix. No need to be concerned about the "top" being done before the bottom. the cake cooks evenly and both sides will be done at the same time. I've made four other cakes using this pan besides Cali's smash cake and they all baked up beautifully.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:48am
post #3 of 23

I used cake release that I brushed on, then sprayed with pam. It came out Ok - no problems there. But the thing I found is that you really need to bake the top and bottom separately or they won't bake even. HTH

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #4 of 23

I popped the top out and then let the bottom keep baking...

ElmwoodHero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ElmwoodHero Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:30am
post #5 of 23

Just fallow the directions that came with the cake pan, if you cant find it look on the wilton website. I always use box cake mix (betty crocker SuperMoist), i use the box because they seem to be the most moist

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 5:15am
post #6 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen421

I used cake release that I brushed on, then sprayed with pam. It came out Ok - no problems there. But the thing I found is that you really need to bake the top and bottom separately or they won't bake even. HTH

I didn't have this problem at all. I filled and baked both sides of the pan all four times that I made this cake and they baked up perfectly each time. icon_confused.gif

Karen421 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 11:07am
post #7 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

Quote:

I didn't have this problem at all. I filled and baked both sides of the pan all four times that I made this cake and they baked up perfectly each time. icon_confused.gif

Twice I had that problem, then gave up and started baking one side at a time. But I have a new oven now, so I will give it another shot and see what happens. It would be so much easier and less time consuming!!

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:30pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Twice I had that problem, then gave up and started baking one side at a time. But I have a new oven now, so I will give it another shot and see what happens. It would be so much easier and less time consuming!!

I know that the op ask about the Wilton giant cupcake pan. Do you also have the Wilton pan or a different brand? After paying $30.00 for the pan if it didn't bake up evenly I'd be ticked. icon_lol.gif Maybe it was the oven. I'm just curious as to why I've never had any problems with it baking and you have. icon_confused.gif In my opinion the pan cost to much not to work perfectly icon_lol.gif

kerrimanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerrimanda Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:48pm
post #9 of 23

I have baked at 325 using this same pan 3 times. They don't cook evenly so I have to gently slide something down the sides of the top to remove it and let the bottom continue to cook. Even then, the outsides seem to get more done that I would like. I spray both sides with Baker's Joy.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:02pm
post #10 of 23

As frequently happens with W stuff, cute idea, very poor execution. I have to bake twice with that pan, once for the bottom and once for the top.

mamawrobin Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

As frequently happens with W stuff, cute idea, very poor execution. I have to bake twice with that pan, once for the bottom and once for the top.

Then I do feel lucky that mine didn't give me any problems. I'm confused as to why it works fine for me but not for others. icon_confused.gif Maybe MY oven is the one that bakes unevenly...hence why the pan works fine for me....LOL
I still think $30.00 is too much for the pan and if I'd had to bake "twice" I'd have returned the pan icon_surprised.gif .

LisaMarie86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMarie86 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:19pm
post #12 of 23
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

Then I do feel lucky that mine didn't give me any problems. I'm confused as to why it works fine for me but not for others. icon_confused.gif Maybe MY oven is the one that bakes unevenly...hence why the pan works fine for me....LOL
I still think $30.00 is too much for the pan and if I'd had to bake "twice" I'd have returned the pan icon_surprised.gif .

Im with you mine baked evenly and I would be upset if it didnt even with a 40% off coupon it was still pricey for a novelty pan. I used pan grease, and baked until it was done at I believe 350, came out with no problems and was evenly baked. Ive made 2 or 3 cakes in it.

jessdessertsblog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessdessertsblog Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 3:54pm
post #13 of 23

I bake it twice too. The top becomes too brown, and I have tried positioning it in all kinds of ways in my oven with different temps. I have tried both scratch and cake mixes with it and the top still baked up quicker than the bottom. I used the wilton pan release spray and the cakes slide right out. A lot of times I just make the top part of the cupcake and then just make two 5 inch rounds and make my own cupcake.

lakergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakergirl Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:03pm
post #14 of 23

Thanks for the tips~ I also would not have paid $30.00 for that pan but, got a deal for $19.00 with FREE shipping so I had to try it out! I guess this is going to be the challenge for the weekend?!?!?
Will let you all know what method worked...Thanks again...Kim

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:23pm
post #15 of 23

So glad you posted this! I am baking a cupcake next week for part of my daughters birthday cake. I have had that pan for over a year and have never tried it out. I think my oven bakes slightly uneven. The cakes on the right side of the oven always finish faster than the left so I'll need to place the cupcake pan accordingly. Let us know how yours turns out!

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 6:31pm
post #16 of 23

My mom got a brand new one for me at a flea market for 10.00. I have been looking for an excuse to use it. Thanks for the tips.

Karen421 Posted 3 Jul 2010 , 12:07pm
post #17 of 23
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I know that the op ask about the Wilton giant cupcake pan. Do you also have the Wilton pan or a different brand? After paying $30.00 for the pan if it didn't bake up evenly I'd be ticked. icon_lol.gif Maybe it was the oven. I'm just curious as to why I've never had any problems with it baking and you have. icon_confused.gif In my opinion the pan cost to much not to work perfectly icon_lol.gif

My DD got the pan for me as a birthday gift, or I wouldn't have bought it. I feel better now, knowing I'm not the only one who has had this issue. As long as I know that the top is going to bake up faster, I don't mind baking twice, but I am going to try one more time together in the new oven.

DanaDipi629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaDipi629 Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 4:02pm
post #18 of 23

I see this is an old topic but I need help. I have tried 3 different recipes from scratch and each one failed. It would cook too much on the outside n be raw on the inside. I tried different temps, different greasing methods, and as i said different recipes (all vanilla) and all with the same results. I thought it was my oven and even bought a oven thermometer and watched the heat. different times. I'm at a loss. It finally worked when i used a box cake mix on the 4th try but I prefer to bake everything from scratch.
Please please please tell me what I'm doing wrong or what I can change.

ApelilaRains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApelilaRains Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 6:42pm
post #19 of 23

I actually use the Giant wilton pan often. What I've experienced with the pan was that it's deep and it would not bake evenly. SO, after a few tried I came up with MY way of baking with this pan. I would use a metal rose nail tip, placed it upside down so the needle would point upward, next I used a piece off the wilton wonder mold kit and it's the ROD STAND. The metal nail would hold the rod in place during baking. I just made sure to cover them with butter and cake flour or spray for easy release.

Wonder Mold Kit
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30A944-475A-BAC0-5E1F52DF76D8CE68&fid=3E32E5F5-475A-BAC0-57EC5973D66D14A3

Flower Nail
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30DA27-475A-BAC0-5B9517D6CAF8BB75&fid=785F04A7-475A-BAC0-5B99539A6A26722A

Luckily enough I had all these available and it help bake the cupcake evenly at 325.

Oh and I bake from scratch, never tried box but I'm sure it'll be good too.

Hope this helps!

DanaDipi629 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DanaDipi629 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 6:54pm
post #20 of 23

Definitely something I will look into. I have neither of those at hand but not a bad thing to add to my collection.
Since you bake from scratch as well; I was thinking maybe my batter was too thick? would you say subbing the butter in my batter for oil would help? or any other way of thinning it?
Thank you for the helpful hints... really appreciate it

ApelilaRains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApelilaRains Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:07pm
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaDipi629

Definitely something I will look into. I have neither of those at hand but not a bad thing to add to my collection.
Since you bake from scratch as well; I was thinking maybe my batter was too thick? would you say subbing the butter in my batter for oil would help? or any other way of thinning it?
Thank you for the helpful hints... really appreciate it

I actually use both oil and butter.. so it's depending on the recipe I use and I never change my recipe based on my cake pan. Situations like these you may want to adjust the oven temp, what type of oven do you have? oven gas, electric or conventional? Conventional oven tends to dry out the cake faster, you may want to purchase a stand (or hanging) oven thermometer, this will determine if you over is baking accurately and may be baking hotter than you should..

PM me if you any more questions, I'm more than happy to assist where I can.

planB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planB Posted 9 Dec 2012 , 6:21pm
post #22 of 23

Am I the only one wondering why they didn't just make this a 2-piece set so you could unmold them separately as well as take one out before the other?

The only one I can find that is 2 pieces is that silicone infomercial one and I am skiddish about silicone ones.

FrostFancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostFancy Posted 9 Sep 2013 , 3:16am
post #23 of 23

I was able to resolve the uneven baking issue by rotating my pan halfway through....it still works for me each time I do one.  To grease, I use shortening and brush on to make sure it goes into every crevice! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%