Figures

Decorating By attackofthecakes Updated 3 Aug 2010 , 1:48pm by Ballymena

attackofthecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
attackofthecakes Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 10

whats the best way to make people?...ive done it with fondant in the past with mixed results...gum paste?..does it need some sort of internal structure like wires?..if so what kind and how is it done?..is modeling chocolate better? i appreciate any input

9 replies
Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:01am
post #2 of 10

Thank you for posting this. I am very interested in what everyone has to say. Sorry if I gave you false hopes of having answers! I'm in the same boat!

yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:07am
post #3 of 10

Welcome to CC Attackofthecakes. You could use:

fondant and add tylose
50% gumpaste 50% fondant
gumpaste
modeling chocolate

I know I've read that some use toothpicks. Just cut toothpicks to size (like to attach arms to bodies).

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:19am
post #4 of 10

I have found Wilton's fondant to work well for figures, for my sitting figures I just use a piece of floral wire to attach the head to the torso. you can find lots of info on youtube also for how to make figures.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:30pm
post #5 of 10

Toothpicks, or raw spaghetti works great too.

attackofthecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
attackofthecakes Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 10

yeah ive used most of these methods for sitting type figures...i guess i should have explained myself better..it s more the standing type, usually ive seen on cake shows that its been done with modeling chocolate...i guess i can try the floral wire for the inner structure...anyways im trying it tonight so well see!!

youngestdecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngestdecorator Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:35pm
post #7 of 10

To make a standing figurine i use like a square foam piece thick enough to hold 2 dowels and mold the person around the dowels while their standing on the foam square and when their finished i take the dowel off the foam and you stick it on the cake! i dont know if that's clear ....oh geeze i'm not good at explaining things! their's a picture in my album...you can see he's standing on a foam piece and the legs all the way up to the shoulders is two dowels and i just sculpted around that.

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 3:06am
post #8 of 10

I use Gum Paste/Fondant 50/50 or fondant with Gum Tex added, I like the Wilton fondant for this. I make figures 2 weeks ahead and let air dry but I have made them a few days in advance and put a fan on them day and night. I use #6 Bucatini, which is a thick spaghetti with a hole down the middle, for armatures. I like to keep my figures completely edible just in case. You never know what happens at parties.

KathleenRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenRN Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 12:03pm
post #9 of 10

So, once your figures are completed? How do you store them until ready to place on your cake?

Thanks!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 3 Aug 2010 , 1:48pm
post #10 of 10

I put a fan on them for a couple of days, by then they are dried enough they can be handled carefully. I then store them uncovered so they continue drying and out of the light to prevent colors fading..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%