Please Critique My Work?

Decorating By bbouyer Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm by MariaK38

bbouyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbouyer Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 12

Howdy. I've been lurking here for quite some time admiring everyone's work. I just recently started working with fondant, and since then, have been asked to make more cakes than I can handle alone. My problem is,

1. the pricing
2. I don't have too much confindence in my work after seeing what some of ya'll can do

I feel uncomfortable asking for large payments on cakes when I don't have too much experience. If a few of you wouldn't mind just taking a look at my work I would really appreciate it!

To give you an idea of what I've been paid for these, Scooby Doo cake $100, Round tiered wedding cake $100, Hollywood spotlight cake w/ four addition sheets $200, peace sign cake $65. The square wedding and Coor's Light/Xbox cake was for family at cost (if I ever get the at cost back!!) but was told I should ask upward of $800 for the set? I just can't fathom that!

I'm in the DFW area if that helps any. Thank you so much in advance. OK, I'm ready...

11 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 12

You are not asking enough. Now if you really want to go into business then you will need to get licensed and insured and, not sure of your area, soak up the price of a rental kitchen as well. So that will drive up your costs and thus drive up the price. In my part of CA (in a city) I charge $3 per slice for beginning buttercream (buttercream with a couple of flowers and simple trim) and $4 per slice for simple fondant (fondant with a couple of flowers and simple trim). There are places in the US where I'd starve only asking those prices and places where I'd never get an order because I'm priced too high for there so it depends on where you live, what your overhead is and what the going rate is in your area. So do your research, get properly licensed and start asking for what your work really deserves!

Cat

bbouyer Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:00pm
post #3 of 12

I guess this was need to know information - I provide desserts for a local restaraunt and in return he lets me work from his kitchen. I do store the cakes at home until they are delivered. I'm not sure that I would need a liscense when working in a certified kitchen but I will definately look into that. I'm not directly in the DFW area, I'm in a smaller city to the west and it seems like the going rate is $3.50 - $5 per serving.

My main concern, is my quality of work good enough?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:05pm
post #4 of 12

Yes, of course your work is worth $3.50-5.00 - it's quite good, in fact. But SERIOUSLY, please look into the licensing requirements and the storage business before you get yourself into really hot water.

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 12

Your cakes are super and you need to charge a decent price for them!!!

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 12

You do beautiful work!! How long have you been into it? very good designs and color combination, also good figure making thumbs_up.gif
For pricing this is how I would do it... 1.-see how much they chg in your area, which you have already done!! 2.- add up cost (ingredients,supplies+misc.) and multiply by 3
3.- I would also chg extra for any extra decorations because of the time it takes to do them.
Taking all this in consideration( CC friends, am I missing anything else?) make your price.
thumbs_up.gif
CIAO

_christina_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_christina_ Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:50am
post #7 of 12

I will tell you that I can find imperfections with every single cake I have done. I can find something I would change, something that I wish I had done differently and I often don't really like my cakes (even after I initially am happy with them) because I overanalyze them.

Your cakes are wonderful. If you are going to sell them, and people are going to pay for them, then you have talent. I am learning, from this forum, that I really need to zip my lips and not underestimate myself. If I see something I would change or something I wish looked better, I'll remember that for next time. It doesn't mean I don't have a beautiful cake that's worth the $$.

All that said, you should believe in your cakes and you should charge accordingly. Does that mean you need to go to the top of the market price? No. Just what you are comfortable with and that represents a fair market price.

bbouyer Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:39pm
post #8 of 12

Christina, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I wonder if every flaw stands out as glaringly to the people I make them for as they do to me. I started out with the Wilton figurine pans about three years ago but just tried stacking tiers last Spring. Fondant is pretty new to me, I've been working with it since October? Right now I just use the Wilton and have tried out the Duff brand. I have issues with my hands and don't think I can mix my own batches easily but I intend on giving the MMF a whirl. I really appreciate ya'll taking the time to look and the compliments as well.

I'll speak with the restaraunt owner about using his facility for storage as well as prerparation. I also have use of the kitchen where my children attend school when they ask me for a cake, my mother teaches there.

Thanks again.
-Brandy

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 12

[quote="bbouyer"]

To give you an idea of what I've been paid for these, Scooby Doo cake $100, quote]

A little off subject, but meant as advice.....unless you got permission from Hanna-Barbera or paid a licensing fee (and maybe you did) you can't legally sell cakes with copyrighted/trademarked characters such as your Scooby Doo cake so you may want to avoid selling them and risking a possible lawsuit.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 12

Your work is beautiful. Don't doubt yourself.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 12

Don't use Wilton fondant -- nobody likes the taste of it. And the "Duff brand" is too expensive. Order fondant on-line -- try Pettinice, Satin Ice, Chocopan, and see what you like best. Your work is beautiful. That Spotlight cake is amazing.

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:28pm
post #12 of 12

I think your work is great... especially like the cute mummy cupcakes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%