Can You Put Regular Pictures On A Cake Somehow????

Decorating By jessica83 Updated 29 Jun 2010 , 9:29pm by luddroth

jessica83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessica83 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:48pm
post #1 of 11

I am still quite new to cake decorating and I have someone that wants a picture of their daughter on the cake. I was wondering how to put photos on a cake? I do not have a way to put them on edible paper and was wondering if I could just attach them somehow? How do I do this? Any help would be appreciated!!! icon_confused.gif

10 replies
kattyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kattyann Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:04pm
post #2 of 11

I put photos on cakes by covering them with plastic wrap. I put the pic face down and pull the wrap tightly across the back and sometimes tape it. The only problem I ever have run into is having it wrinkle. Keep checking the face of the photo and adjust the wrap as needed, going horizntal and then vertical. I use to use the origianal photo, now I scan it and use the scanned pic. Never had any real problems. Just put an icing border around it.

michel30014 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michel30014 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 11

Sure can!!! Have the picture printed, then cut it out leaving a bit of white space around it. Use laminating sheets which you can buy at Walmart. I actually found a roll of laminate for $5 at Walmart last year. I still have plenty left. Just make sure after you laminate you use your fingernail or thumbnail to "seal" around the edges. To put it on the cake, take a bit of buttercream icing and spread along the back of the laminated pic and attach to the cake. I just piped along the edges of the laminate to cover and help the pic stay down. This is what I did to the following cakes!
LL

michel30014 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 11

Sorry, here's the other cake I had a laminated pic on.

michel30014 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 11

icon_sad.gif Uggh, let me try this one more time!! It doesn't seem to want to attach. lol Let's try it this way. I forgot, my pic isn't small enough to attach.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1710827.html

audree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audree Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:18pm
post #6 of 11

I have also used clear contact paper. Be sure to cover front and back.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:19pm
post #7 of 11

Check your local grocery store. If they have the ability to print onto edible paper for their own cakes, many of them will print for you for a fee. Where I am, in Canada, many of the Sobey's grocery stores will do it for $10. I just had to bring the image I wanted to them as a file on a USB stick.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 11

I did a graduation cake for my son and I did not know of anyone who could do an edible print!... so I took my son's picture to Staples Office Supply Store and had it laminated. icon_wink.gif So that is not so expensive glue 4 pictures in a sheet of paper and have that sheet of paper laminated that way is cheaper, icon_biggrin.gif later you cut it individually. You can see the cake in my photos.
CIAO

jessica83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessica83 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:09pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for all your help, I'll try it!

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:17pm
post #10 of 11

Just an FYI... if the pic is copyrighted (ie. from a professional photographer) - the grocery store may decline your request for an edible image. But it's worth the asking. Some will still do it.. especially if there is not copyright symbol on the front.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:29pm
post #11 of 11

One other idea: in my photos there is a "Hairspray" cake with characters from the movie. I just downloaded them from the internet, printed them on regular printer paper, then made gumpaste plaques the same size. When the gumpaste was dry, I attached the photos to the gumpaste plaques with a thin layer of corn syrup. The gumpaste plaques are not eaten anyway, so it's ok to stick the regular paper on them--it doesn't touch anything that will be eaten.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%