Seeds Or Seedless?

Decorating By StephW Updated 2 Jul 2010 , 2:27pm by sullymel13

Cakelayer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakelayer Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:45pm
post #31 of 50

Hi,

Thanks for asking for my recipe. It's really good and has a very strong raspberry flavor that holds up well as a cake filling.

Raspberry Curd

2 1/4 cups fresh raspberries (or frozen if fresh aren't available)
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 egg yolks

1. In a small saucepan, combine raspberries, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 Tablespoons butter, and 1 Tablespoon lemon juice. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium low heat until berries are very soft and lose their shape.

2. Press raspberry mixture through sieve, dicarding seeds and pulp. Measure I cup puree. Cool.

3. In same saucepan, mix cornstarch and 2 Tablespoon puree until smooth. Set aside.

4. In small bowl whisk 2 egg yolks. Gradually whisk in remaining raspberry puree. Whisk into cornstarch mixture in saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium low head until mixture thickens slightly and almost boils.

5. Pour into bowl. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of filing. Cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.

6. Refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.

And that's it.....let me know how you like it.

Best Wishes,
DianaJJ

PS If anyone is interested I have a killer Lemond Curd recipe too.

kansaswolf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaswolf Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 6:58pm
post #32 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

Yes, it's important to cook it that slowly and for that long. If you boil it like mad chances are good it'll burn, so low & slow is the way to go. (HA!). I usually put it on the lowest heat and once it hits a simmer check on it every 10 minutes.
Oh, and don't stick your finger in this stuff til it's cooled off because it's like delicious napalm.

Just curious, could one heat the pomegranate molasses on the stove first, and then put it in a crockpot on high for the remaining time? Or just crockpot it the whole way? I kinda like the idea of "set it and forget it" filling... thumbs_up.gif

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:23pm
post #33 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaswolf

Just curious, could one heat the pomegranate molasses on the stove first, and then put it in a crockpot on high for the remaining time? Or just crockpot it the whole way? I kinda like the idea of "set it and forget it" filling... thumbs_up.gif

Y'know, that probably would work. You'd need to leave the crockpot uncovered so the water evaporates, and I wouldn't leave it and go to work or to bed or anything, but as long as someone can check on it periodically it should do pretty well in a crockpot.
I make huge batches of apple butter for filling in the crockpot and it works fantastically. Hmmmm, now I may have to experiment....! thumbs_up.gif

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 7:49pm
post #34 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana_marta

seedless- I always think of people who may have a problem eating seeds. (my brain fails me with the name of that condition) anyway, you want people talking about the deliciousness of your cake, not the amt of seeds in their teeth!

Diverticulitis

3 family members have it so, seedless for us and no coconut either...

Interestingly, the Mayo Clinic has this to say about seeds and diverticulitis:

"In the past, doctors thought that nuts, seeds, popcorn and corn played a role in causing diverticulitis by getting trapped in the diverticula. However, recent research has found that these foods weren't associated with an increased risk of diverticulitis."

It sounds like you really don't need to be concerned with raspberry seeds from this standpoint anyway.

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:14pm
post #35 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakelayer

Hi,

Thanks for asking for my recipe. It's really good and has a very strong raspberry flavor that holds up well as a cake filling.

Raspberry Curd

2 1/4 cups fresh raspberries (or frozen if fresh aren't available)
1/4 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
2 egg yolks

1. In a small saucepan, combine raspberries, 1/4 cup sugar, 2 Tablespoons butter, and 1 Tablespoon lemon juice. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium low heat until berries are very soft and lose their shape.

2. Press raspberry mixture through sieve, dicarding seeds and pulp. Measure I cup puree. Cool.

3. In same saucepan, mix cornstarch and 2 Tablespoon puree until smooth. Set aside.

4. In small bowl whisk 2 egg yolks. Gradually whisk in remaining raspberry puree. Whisk into cornstarch mixture in saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium low head until mixture thickens slightly and almost boils.

5. Pour into bowl. Press plastic wrap directly onto surface of filing. Cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.

6. Refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.

And that's it.....let me know how you like it.

Best Wishes,
DianaJJ

PS If anyone is interested I have a killer Lemond Curd recipe too.

thanks for sharing. Sounds delicious!

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:32pm
post #36 of 50

Cakelayer - thanks for sharing... it sounds delicious! I would love the lemon curd recipe too.

I do have two questions for you... does it need to be refrigerated and how much curd does this make?

Thanks!

Justforfun751 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justforfun751 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:42pm
post #37 of 50

PiccoloChellie & Cakelayer - thank you both for sharing! I can't wait to try them!

I also am interested in your lemon curd recipie please, Cakelayer. Lemon is one of my favorite flavors!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:49pm
post #38 of 50

I use a strainer with a medium hole size to get the larger seeds out of berry fillings, but allow the smaller ones to stay.
-
Diverticulitis isn't caused by nuts and seeds, but according to my MIL (who has it) they get trapped in the little pockets and then 'squirted' out... She says it's the squirting part that hurts.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 8:58pm
post #39 of 50

Seeds for me please. And thanks for the two great recipes.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:18pm
post #40 of 50

Thanks for the recipes!

The Raspberry curd is pretty close to my lemon curd (except with raspberries! icon_smile.gif )

I am going to try the Pomegranate Napalm... I think it would be good on my Tropic Breeze cake for a new twist.

Cakelayer Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:50pm
post #41 of 50

Hi All,

StephW - I would recommend that the raspberry and lemon curd be refrigerated but it would be fine as cake filling for a while at room temperature. Both of the recipes make about a cup each but the flavor is VERY intense so you don't need very much to really taste the fillings.

Heres the Lemon Curd:

1/2 cup lemon juice (I use Meyer Lemons because I have a tree)
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoon unsalted butter
1 egg
1 egg yolk

1. In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup lemon juice, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2 Tablespoons butter. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves and butter melts. Cool.

2. In medium bowl, whisk together 1 egg and 1 egg yolk. Gradually whisk into cooled lemon mixture. Return to saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until mixture thickens slightly and almost boils.

3. Pour into bowl. Press plastic wrap direcly onto surface of filling. Cool to room temperature, about 2 hours.

4. Refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.

There it is...hope you like it.

DianaJJ

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:17pm
post #42 of 50

YUMMMM....thank you for the recipes ladies!! I can't wait to try them....I have been getting several cups of raspberries from my bushes every day - these recipes will both be a GREAT addition to my arsenal! icon_biggrin.gif You both are awesome for sharing with us!!!

I am on the seeded side here too - everyone loves my raspberry filling, have never had any complaints about the seeds.

ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 10:57pm
post #43 of 50

I myself love seeds as well. And thank you for sharing your wonderful recipes.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 11:47pm
post #44 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justforfun751

PiccoloChellie & Cakelayer - thank you both for sharing! I can't wait to try them!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Do you think I could put both of these fillings in the same cake?? I'm real excited to try them! Seems like I've seen things that are raspberry pomegranate flavor, right?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 12:07am
post #45 of 50

a few seeds are fine with me, but raspberries have A LOT of seeds. I prefer to strain them. A few get through, and that is fine.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 2:17am
post #46 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

Do you think I could put both of these fillings in the same cake?? I'm real excited to try them! Seems like I've seen things that are raspberry pomegranate flavor, right?

I think you could! I've used blackberry and raspberry preserves with the pomegranate napalm ( icon_lol.gif ) and it was really delicious.

adventuregal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adventuregal Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 2:30am
post #47 of 50

those curd and pomegranite recipes sound amazing I can't wait to try them! Does anyone know if you can freeze them or if refrigerate and for how long?
icon_biggrin.gif
I LOVE threads with recipes mmm always makes me want to eat a big slice of cake!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm
post #48 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloChellie

I think you could! I've used blackberry and raspberry preserves with the pomegranate napalm ( icon_lol.gif ) and it was really delicious.

Excellent! I will be heading to the store when the kids wake up from nap!

Cakelayer Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm
post #49 of 50

I would refrigerate the raspberry and the lemon curd for a maximum of about a week. I've never tried freezing either.

DianaJJ

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 2 Jul 2010 , 2:27pm
post #50 of 50

thanks for all the yummy recipes! I am dreaming about a lemon cake with raspberry and lemon curd layers. Yum! Now I have to find an occasion to make it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%