2 Tier Cake Collapsed

Decorating By designsbydawn Updated 1 Jul 2010 , 3:37pm by 4Gifts4Lisa

designsbydawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
designsbydawn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 63

I am not sure what happened. I made a 2 tier fondant baby cake I used straws and 1 wooden dowel down the center for support. It fell that same night at the customer's house. She said she thought it might have been bc it was too hot. Any suggestions on how to have prevented this from happening? This is the first time this has happened that I am aware of.
LL

62 replies
Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 63

So sorry that happened! I know you must feel sick over it.

Did you use drinking straws or Bubble Tea straws? I just don't think drinking straws are strong enough to support much of anything. As well, how many did you use? If it was only four, then I'd say you have your answer right there. The weight of the fondant just won't be supported by something as light as a regular drinking straw. Some people use a drinking straw and then insert a wooded dowel into that. Others use the Bubble Tea straws... many still use the wooden dowels by themselves. I like the large plastic dowels that Wilton carries. They are a bit harder to cut, but are pretty close to fail proof.

Heat could have played into the variable in the sense that if things were not terribly stable to start with, you were on the losing end of the spectrum when heat was added in.

Again, so sorry it happened to you!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 2:59pm
post #3 of 63

And she's sure no one *touched* it? A pet or child, or curious hubby who didn't think that could happen? When you say straws do you mean bubble tea straws or plastic drinking straws? How hot was it in her house? The bottom tier looks to have too much pressure on it, that's what would cause that sort of breakage. Straws could be too short and heat too high.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 63

Sorry to hear that icon_sad.gif

Did you have a cake board under your top teir? Maybe your straws were too short causing the top teir to be putting pressure on the cake below.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 63

I use wood dowels or the large plastic rods, I wouldn't dare use a straw of any kind with fondant. Sorry it happened, but you'll learn from it. I've gotten many lessons believe me.

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 63

This is the very same cake as the most recent one in your photos, right?

In the collapsed picture, where is the name? The frogs? If it just collapsed spontaneously, why are they missing? Were they really firmly attached to begin with? It's very curious that they're gone... Was there an explanation provided for their absence? detective.gif

It seems to me that removing them might have been enough to cause a collapse under the circumstances. Unless there's some other reason they're gone, that is...

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 63

That cake looks like it was dropped.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 63

Sadly, you'll probably never find out what they actually did with/to the cake. You obviously know how to stack and support your other tiered cakes that look just fine, so I wouldn't worry about it too much--looks like there's nothing you could have done once it was out of your control.

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFiend

In the collapsed picture, where is the name? The frogs? If it just collapsed spontaneously, why are they missing? Were they really firmly attached to begin with? It's very curious that they're gone... Was there an explanation provided for their absence? detective.gif

It seems to me that removing them might have been enough to cause a collapse under the circumstances. Unless there's some other reason they're gone, that is...

It looks like the back of the cake. If you look carefully at the left edge of the bottom tier you can just see a frog leg poking out.

AnotherCreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnotherCreation Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:33pm
post #10 of 63

It looks to me like the frogs would be on the other side of the cake. This is the back. My question is... It is obviously in the fridge. Was it in the fridge when it collapsed? did something get pushed against it as it was going in the fridge? If it was put in the fridge and then taken out maybe the condensation was too much for the straws to handle. I'm not sure but I think its weird that it would just collapse on its own.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herekittykitty

It looks like the back of the cake. If you look carefully at the left edge of the bottom tier you can just see a frog leg poking out.

Then they must have twisted the top tier around, because the baby is still facing in the original position.

AnotherCreation Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:41pm
post #12 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:

Then they must have twisted the top tier around, because the baby is still facing in the original position.

CWR41...you are right. If you open the pic to a larger size you can see the baby's face. This cake was totally dropped and the top tier just placed back on top!!!!!! I can't believe they are trying to pass this off as the cake "collapsing" jmho

SugarFiend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFiend Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:43pm
post #13 of 63
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFiend

I have to respectfully disagree about it being the back of the cake. I have the before and after pics up side-by-side on my screen, and the baby's head is situated more or less to the right in both pics. If it was the back of the cake, the baby's head would be on the left.

Unless of course, the theory that it was dropped holds true. Then it *could* be the front of the top tier and the back of the bottom tier, reassembled but the wrong way.

I'm still suspecting some sort of foul play!

krazyb5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krazyb5 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:43pm
post #14 of 63

this cake was most def dropped

Joshua_Alan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joshua_Alan Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:46pm
post #15 of 63

Wow. I agree. Something seems sketchy here. If it had just collapsed the baby should be facing the other direction.

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:51pm
post #16 of 63

Ohhh, how sad! This must be the front of the cake - it's facing the same way as in the OP's picture posted in her photos. The name does seem to be missing right where the collapse is. Maybe they closed the fridge with something in the door shelf and it hit the cake. Trying to remove the letters from cold fondant to fix the damage would have pulled it apart. I don't know how structurally sound it was to begin with, but in any case, i"m so sorry this happened to you.

Dolledupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolledupcakes Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 3:52pm
post #17 of 63

I am sorry this happened to you.

For your next order, you should have the customer sign a disclaimer.

SugarHighCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarHighCakery Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:00pm
post #18 of 63

I totally agree! This is not a collapsed cake. Curious hands or pet...maybe. Dropped...more likely.

From the look at this cake, this would have been the 7.0 of cake collapses. There must have been an massive earthquake inside this cake. It almost looks explosive! The fondant ball decorations even are out of place. Fishy I tell ya! judge.gif

neelycharmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neelycharmed Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:10pm
post #19 of 63

I 100% agree that something doesn't seem right.
I hope they aren't trying to blame you for something someone else did.
Jodi icon_smile.gif

susieqhomemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieqhomemaker Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:15pm
post #20 of 63

I agree with the others that say that there is foul play involved. I don't know much about cake collapses, but if that's all that happened, why would there be icing all on the sides of the cake that are still intact and cake/icing on the board?

And like others have pointed out the top tier is still facing the same way...

I'd like to see how you resolve this with the customer. icon_smile.gif

designsbydawn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:16pm
post #21 of 63

I used regular straws but had about 8-10 straws in it. I did also use a cardboard piece underneath. I did not transport it there so I am not sure if anything happened on the way. She said that it was quite warm in her house that they are needing a new ac unit. It's a friend of mine, but does look like it might have gotten messed with looking at the pic. I have stacked quite a few cakes before using regular straws (I use wooden dowels or straws depending on size of cake) and never had this issue(especially being the same day I stacked it)

anasazi17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anasazi17 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:19pm
post #22 of 63

Oh Wow! This totally looks like there is some shady business. You never know...DH or kiddo could have messed with it and THEY are telling a fib to mom...good grief. It really doesn't look like it just collapsed

designsbydawn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:23pm
post #23 of 63

I am not sure what happened I am trying to not feel too bad about it bc it wasn't like this when I sent it on its way. I told her not to put in the fridge but to keep in a cool room...so not sure how it was stored.

susieqhomemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susieqhomemaker Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:23pm
post #24 of 63

sorry, it posted twice!

designsbydawn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:28pm
post #25 of 63

well she just said she was mad when she first saw it but that it turned out okay and still tasted good. She never called to tell me it happened I just saw the pics on her facebook and asked her about what happened to the cake. Like I said it was a friend of mine who lives out of town so I didn't transport it there. As far as resolving it with her that was the extent of it...along with me feeling bad that it ended up looking that way before the shower.

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:30pm
post #26 of 63

Oh man, the cake detectives are all OVER this! And once again, I'm certain they are right!! I thought you delivered it, there is no way for you to be responsible for it once it leaves your possession, especially with them driving it by themselves!! Sorry for their loss, but it is exactly that... THEIR loss! Someone is not being honest here. Whether someone else did it, or your friend, I don't mean to insinuate that your friend would intentionally lie to you, but things have happened to this cake. BAD things.

Jess1019 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess1019 Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:40pm
post #27 of 63

Thats assume for one second that it did collapse on its own (yeah right), how on earth did icing did smeared all over the out the side of the fondant? Furthermore, how did cake crumbs end up on the corner of the cake board?!?!?! There is just NO WAY!!!!! This cake was dropped. I agree with others, it looks like the top tier was placed back on top backwards.

AnotherCreation Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:42pm
post #28 of 63

I hope she didn't put your name with the pic on her facebook!!!!

DetailsByDawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DetailsByDawn Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:52pm
post #29 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess1019

Thats assume for one second that it did collapse on its own (yeah right), how on earth did icing did smeared all over the out the side of the fondant? Furthermore, how did cake crumbs end up on the corner of the cake board?!?!?! There is just NO WAY!!!!! This cake was dropped. I agree with others, it looks like the top tier was placed back on top backwards.

You're right! There are no polka dots where the name is.... it is the back. Strange that the cake would collapse and spin around. That was one very special cake, lol.

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 28 Jun 2010 , 4:53pm
post #30 of 63

If she didn;t call to complain perhaps something did happen like a drop or a bump and because she knew it was her fault she didn;t call to ocmplain and just tried to salvage the cake for the event. SOrry! Did she write anything negative with the facebook post?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%