How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By Faithbound Updated 3 Jun 2013 , 1:00am by AZCouture

tgress13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tgress13 Posted 1 Jul 2010 , 8:41pm
post #31 of 48

I'm a home baker as well and I bake for fun. I use my family as guinea pigs. Every month we have at least 1 or 2 birthdays so I get a chance to try out different techniques. They love my cakes a give me lots of constructive criticism. Recently I made a 3-tier cake for my niece's baptism and the same family members were floored. They couldn't believe I actually made the cake. It was a lot of work and as a result I have another friend who will be paying for hers. I usually tell my friends if they cannot pay the little amount I am asking for my cakes then they do need to go to Publix or Walmart.

SOmetimes we seem to forget how much time and effort goes into making our cake creations, not to mention the materials. I finally understand what I've been reading about for so many years on CC forums. Your time, and talent is worth something and those who don't want to understand that don't want to respect you. My family never expects me to bake them a cake, and if they want one, they ask and even offer to pay for materials. One should never let friends take advantage of them!

supermommyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supermommyof3 Posted 2 Apr 2013 , 3:27am
post #32 of 48

Good Question, how much to charge for a cake. I live in Vancouver, BC (Canada). I think the pricing standards vary from place to place that's why I mention this.I make cakes as a hobby for close friends as gifts and my family but recently my daughter's friend said her step mom saw the cake I made for my daughter's birthday and loved it now she wants one. She needs a cake to feed 60 people but she specified she wants one the same size as the one I made for my daughter (which actually feeds 65-75 by the serving charts I've seen). It is a 10" square cake (stacked 2 high) on bottom and a 9" round cake (stacked 2 high) on top, covered in fondant. She just wants a simple design like a cross on top of it and vanilla custard filling. I was thinking of quoting $160. Thoughts? I honestly have never charged for a cake before but I don't know her so I'm certainly not doing it for free & she's inquiring as to price.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 29 May 2013 , 7:13pm
post #33 of 48

That cake will serve 122 according to the wilton serving chart.  At $3.00 per serving that's $366.  

supermommyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supermommyof3 Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 12:04am
post #34 of 48

AThx everyone for your input :-)

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 4:13am
post #35 of 48

Wilton wedding serving chart has 10 inch square serving 50 and a 9 inch round is 32.  Total 82 by my chart and calculations.  Way more cake than what she needs.  You really need to figure out what your expenses will be and think about how much time it will take, decide on an hourly wage for yourself and add it all up to determine a starting price.  No way anyone else can know what your costs for materials and time will be.

cakenclass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenclass Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 5:39am
post #36 of 48

AHi, I am new to this forum and was looking around how much I can charge for this cake. Found this site.....so here I am. I quoted 70$ for the cake and my customer thinks I'm overpricing her! She doesn't realize that although its smallish.. .the flowers took really a lot of time. I used over 300 flowers. Made from gumpaste, and dusted each with pearl dust! Wits do u say? [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3024010/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 6:15am
post #37 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakenclass 

Hi, I am new to this forum and was looking around how much I can charge for this cake. Found this site.....so here I am. I quoted 70$ for the cake and my customer thinks I'm overpricing her! She doesn't realize that although its smallish.. .the flowers took really a lot of time. I used over 300 flowers. Made from gumpaste, and dusted each with pearl dust!
Wits do u say?

Did you upload the wrong photo?

AZCouture Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 6:20am
post #38 of 48

http://www.cakepower.com/default4.asp Sorry, but this is Kate Sullivan's cake. So I guess you meant to upload a version that you made? And no, I could not possibly consider making that cake for a measly $70.

cakenclass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenclass Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 7:24am
post #39 of 48

AYes I did the same cake here it is...sorry uploaded the wrong pic

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 10:06am
post #40 of 48

AI know this is an old thread, but I had to reply.

I went to the Mercedes dealer and wanted to buy one of their cars, but I told the dealer that I don't want to pay that much.

I am still driving my Honda Fit.

:) Nancy

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 11:25am
post #41 of 48

ACakenclass, I would have charged more than $70 for just the bottom tier.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 11:25am
post #42 of 48

ANancy,

Hilarious!

lauzlando Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauzlando Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 11:34am
post #43 of 48

A[quote name="cakenclass" url="/t/686024/how-much-would-you-charge-for-this-cake/30#post_7399819"]Hi, I am new to this forum and was looking around how much I can charge for this cake. Found this site.....so here I am. I quoted 70$ for the cake and my customer thinks I'm overpricing her! She doesn't realize that although its smallish.. .the flowers took really a lot of time. I used over 300 flowers. Made from gumpaste, and dusted each with pearl dust! Wits do u say? [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3024010/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/quote]

lauzlando Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lauzlando Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 11:37am
post #44 of 48

A

Original message sent by lauzlando

I can't believe you would charge $70 for this cake..... I love in Australia and for something like that I would charge around $200 or more considering the work involved . I made a wedding cake for my friend which was her gift and I sent it into a company called planet cake so they could price it for me..... They quoted me $1290.... I was gobsmacked!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 12:46pm
post #45 of 48

A

Original message sent by supermommyof3

Good Question, how much to charge for a cake. I live in Vancouver, BC (Canada).[I] [/I]I think the pricing standards vary from place to place that's why I mention this.I make cakes as a hobby for close friends as gifts and my family but recently my daughter's friend said her step mom saw the cake I made for my daughter's birthday and loved it now she wants one. She needs a cake to feed 60 people but she specified she wants one the same size as the one I made for my daughter (which actually feeds 65-75 by the serving charts I've seen). It is a 10" square cake (stacked 2 high) on bottom and a 9" round cake (stacked 2 high) on top, covered in fondant. She just wants a simple design like a cross on top of it and vanilla custard filling. I was thinking of quoting $160. Thoughts? I honestly have never charged for a cake before but I don't know her so I'm certainly not doing it for free & she's inquiring as to price.

Before selling a cake to a stranger, you should be finding out whether you even can legally. If you're not legal, you are opening yourself up to this stranger taking advantage of that fact and eventually screwing you over, we see it here all the time.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 12:50pm
post #46 of 48

A[quote name="cakenclass" url="/t/686024/how-much-would-you-charge-for-this-cake/30#post_7399819"]Hi, I am new to this forum and was looking around how much I can charge for this cake. Found this site.....so here I am. I quoted 70$ for the cake and my customer thinks I'm overpricing her! She doesn't realize that although its smallish.. .the flowers took really a lot of time. I used over 300 flowers. Made from gumpaste, and dusted each with pearl dust! Wits do u say? [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3024010/width/200/height/400[/IMG][/quote]

When you give your customers cheap quotes, that's what they come to expect. $70 is way too cheap for that cake, but because you've aligned yourself as the cheap cake lady, you're only ever going to get clients who will nickel and dime you.

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 2 Jun 2013 , 1:20pm
post #47 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylee61 

I went to the Mercedes dealer and wanted to buy one of their cars, but I told the dealer that I don't want to pay that much.

I am still driving my Honda Fit.

OMG!! Love that! 

AZCouture Posted 3 Jun 2013 , 1:00am
post #48 of 48

I still don't see the one you did.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%