Kicking Myself!!!

Business By lissyUK Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 1:35pm by aundrea

Rosiepan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosiepan Posted 29 Jun 2010 , 9:20pm
post #31 of 37

I know how you feel about counting out money in front of friends as I would feel the same . I think that as you make the progression from hobby to business that these types of incidents will come rarer as you will become more confident and savvy. She may not have intentionaly set out to screw you over but from the things I have read here there will be plenty more people that will.
That was a lot of work do to in that heat. I like the smoke detail and have taken my boys to that railway station a few times in the past. My eldest would of appreciated that cake.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:00pm
post #32 of 37

It can be so much more touchy with people you know well though! Everyone says "well, if you know her then she'll believe you" I think it's more like "Since you know her, she will be offended that after giving you almost 100 you're still complaining about 15 more, either that or she will think YOU are taking advantage of HER if she thinks she paid correctly!"

VERY touchy with people you know! If it was a regular customer I didn't know previously I wouldn't hesitate to call and say "oh by the way, I counted the money and there is only $XX.XX and it should've been $XXX.XX...did you want me to stop by to pick up the rest or did you plan on mailing it?"

But with people I know.......I'd probably just suck it up and do better next time!

Aeropanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aeropanda Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:19pm
post #33 of 37

I may be a little lat in posting, but that cake looks so awesome! I know you charged at a discount, but even a discount deserves more than what you were paid for that one! You did a beautiful job!

lissyUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissyUK Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 12:47pm
post #34 of 37

Thanks all for your words of wisdom. I am quite happy to leave it as is. To be honest i wasn'y very happy with the cake- it was so hot that despite doing a buttercream dam etc and dowelling, the tunnel squidged!

Still, every cake brings new lessons and i love it, so £15 here or there isn;t going to break my heart!

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:04pm
post #35 of 37

Always get paid in advance. TRUST me I've learned the HARD way. Even the loveliest most wonderful clients are BUSY and STRESSED on the day of their event rushing around with details. A couple times people just flat out forgot to have money on them to pay me and had to drop everything and go to an ATM. Not cool, not smooth and not professional. I had to wise up the hard way. Take care of that side of things in advance then the day of their big event you each have only to worry about the cake itself. Less stress, much smoother, much more professional, way less problems. Always count money in front of them... what if they screwed up and gave you to much I hope you'd want to be honest and give them back what was not supposed to be in there.... or if they shorted you you catch it right there. Glad I worked as a bank teller for a year, I have no problems counting money in front of people to insure accuracy.

Katiebelle74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiebelle74 Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:18pm
post #36 of 37

Always get paid in advance. TRUST me I've learned the HARD way. Even the loveliest most wonderful clients are BUSY and STRESSED on the day of their event rushing around with details. A couple times people just flat out forgot to have money on them to pay me and had to drop everything and go to an ATM. Not cool, not smooth and not professional. I had to wise up the hard way. Take care of that side of things in advance then the day of their big event you each have only to worry about the cake itself. Less stress, much smoother, much more professional, way less problems. Always count money in front of them... what if they screwed up and gave you to much I hope you'd want to be honest and give them back what was not supposed to be in there.... or if they shorted you you catch it right there. Glad I worked as a bank teller for a year, I have no problems counting money in front of people to insure accuracy.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 1:35pm
post #37 of 37

I'm sorry this happened to you too. I guess as you go along in your business it will get easier.
I look at it as, if you go to the grocery store or walmart and ypu give the cashier money for your order they count it infront of you. I wouldn't think anyone would take folded cash even if you knew the cashier.
What I'm trying to say-is that this is excepted in any business transaction.
Good luck with your business and future money transactions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%