Indydebi's Buttercream

Baking By GHOST_USER_NAME Updated 11 Aug 2014 , 1:35pm by denetteb

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 5 Nov 2010 , 9:22pm
post #61 of 103

Earlier this this post someone asked about stability <no refrigeration> of Indydebi's BC> What about the Cream Cheese version?
I have cake for tomorrow that id REALLY like to be able to pipe the details tonight....Is it safe enough to leave out over night for a party tomorrow afternoon?

Thanks all!

cakeladydenver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladydenver Posted 21 Nov 2011 , 2:50am
post #62 of 103

Has anyone covered cream cheese frosting with modeling choc? I see someone has used fondant but I am trying modeling choc for the first time because others have said there is more flexibility without cracking like fondant. Am trying to make a Marilyn Monroe cake.

kkat782 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkat782 Posted 14 Apr 2013 , 5:22pm
post #63 of 103

AI know I'm late to the party on this discussion but I have a few question about this buttercream that I'm hoping someone can answer: • Do you whip the Crisco first, before adding other ingredients? • Do you use the paddle or whisk attachment? • How does this butter ream work under fondant?

Thanks!!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 12:02am
post #64 of 103

AYes. Paddle. Works great.

kkat782 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkat782 Posted 16 Apr 2013 , 7:15am
post #65 of 103

A

Original message sent by AnnieCahill

Yes. Paddle. Works great.

Thank you :-)

bayoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bayoy Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 2:26am
post #66 of 103

Hello, where can i get the recipe for your buttercream icing?

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 3:07am
post #67 of 103

Acakecentral.com/a/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

There are 3 different recipes for indydebis buttercream go to the top of the page and in the search bar type in indydebis buttercream recipe

cheercoach9701 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheercoach9701 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 10:30pm
post #68 of 103

AThis thread has been amazing! I have read all of the posts and I just have one question. As for the refrigeration, I saw someone mention that it "behaves" better at room temp. Does that mean it shouldn't be refrigerated? What exactly does behave mean? I know I may be in the minority on this but I prefer my buttercream cold. I like a lot of foods cold though! I'm strange I know! :)

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 1 May 2013 , 11:01am
post #69 of 103

Most people can't get it to crust if it's cold.  I tried this recipe a long time ago and personally I didn't care for it.  For me it was too sweet and had very little flavor due to no butter.  I stay away from "butter flavoring."  I need real butter in my buttercream!  I will say that if you live in a really hot climate it performs well, due to the lack of butter.

Kittycakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kittycakes21 Posted 18 Jun 2013 , 7:33am
post #70 of 103

Mine came out grainy too icon_redface.gif

mellbel25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellbel25 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 8:09pm
post #71 of 103

Can i use this buttercream recipe for frosting cupcakes? i cannot wait to try this WONDERFUL recipe everyone keeps chatting about :)thumbs_up.gif

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 10:20pm
post #72 of 103

You can use it to frost cupcakes. Read the instructions good. I have not had good luck with it either. Tried it several time. Always grainy. It stands up to very hot weather. Shes made it for all the years she was in catering. Many c/cers love it . So read the instructions good and try it. You may have good luck with it.hth

mellbel25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellbel25 Posted 3 Jul 2013 , 1:16am
post #73 of 103

AAnother question!

How and for how long can I store this?? Can I refrigerate? And then bring to room temp when I need it?

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 6:25pm
post #74 of 103

Hi Debi- You Icing is legendary! From all I read it's a VERY flexible recipe, but I wondered if I can substitute some butter in place of shortening.  I have 50# of Sweetex (thats the smallest size they sold locally) but some people are touchy about shortening. I realize butter requires different handling but does it work in this recipe? Thanks for ALL the great recipes & ideas you've shared!  Sharon 

crownoclams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crownoclams Posted 17 Sep 2013 , 8:50pm
post #75 of 103

AHey this my first time on this site I'm gitting married and trying make my own cake I got 6 months to git it right its a pillow cake I'm a great pastry chief cooking is natural to just never maid a huge cake wear can I find recipes for sponge cake?? The groom wants carrot cake and I read u got use pound or sponge for those this will b a first any tips would b great:)

yste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yste Posted 13 May 2014 , 2:13am
post #76 of 103

Can i add raspberry to this recipe?

Princess Peach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess Peach Posted 14 May 2014 , 10:30pm
post #77 of 103

I'm new to CC and am going to try Indydebi's BC this weekend.  I have a wedding cake that I'm making for a bride who claims she doesn't like BC frosting.  However her wedding is at the beach in June and I'm pretty limited as BC is probably the most stable.  I'm excited to try this recipe and wondering if anyone has every substituted liquid flavored coffee creamer (like french vanilla) for the milk??  If so did it turn out??  Just wondering before I give it a try and perhaps ruin a batch of frosting!!!  Thanks!!

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 3:28pm
post #78 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess Peach 

I'm new to CC and am going to try Indydebi's BC this weekend.  I have a wedding cake that I'm making for a bride who claims she doesn't like BC frosting.  However her wedding is at the beach in June and I'm pretty limited as BC is probably the most stable.  I'm excited to try this recipe and wondering if anyone has every substituted liquid flavored coffee creamer (like french vanilla) for the milk??  If so did it turn out??  Just wondering before I give it a try and perhaps ruin a batch of frosting!!!  Thanks!!

I have used the french vanilla coffee creamer and it turned out so well, I use it all the time now. 

whiteangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteangel Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 3:30pm
post #79 of 103

Quote:

Originally Posted by yste 

Can i add raspberry to this recipe?

I am making a raspberry filling for a lemon cake this weekend.  The raspberry jam is too strong, trying to find something to tone it down and was told to mix it with a little of this icing.  Tried a little and this does work better.

Princess Peach Posted 6 Jun 2014 , 5:05pm
post #80 of 103

Thank you so much!!!  I'll give it a try next time, maybe even hazelnut??  Love this frosting and the wedding cake was fantastic and the bride was thrilled!

tiffany1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffany1234 Posted 12 Jun 2014 , 9:35pm
post #81 of 103

ADo you just add the dream whip powder into the other ingredients ??

vldutoit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vldutoit Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 10:59am
post #82 of 103

ATry dissolving the dream whip in your milk or heavy cream then add it to your shortening and mix it. After it has mixed a few minutes add in the powdered sugar.

Princess Peach Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 1:09pm
post #83 of 103

AI actually microwave 1/2 C cream or milk for 5-10 seconds to take the chill off of it and stir in the dream whip. You don't want it warm or it will melt your shortening! I find it helps to dissolve the dream whip easily and the frosting won't be grainy. Just add as much or as little of the milk/cream to reach the consistency you want. Also the high ratio shortening makes a huge difference; use it if you can!! Make sure to beat the shortening for a good 10 minutes so the frosting is light and fluffy!! :)

noveen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noveen Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 1:09am
post #84 of 103

ACan someone post the link to the recipe? Can it be used for icing dummy cakes for an event? Thanks

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 5 Aug 2014 , 3:29am
post #85 of 103
noveen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noveen Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 4:03am
post #86 of 103

A

Original message sent by kazita

http://cakecentral.com/a/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Im not sure it can go on cake dummies

Thank you!

UKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UKake Posted 7 Aug 2014 , 10:07pm
post #87 of 103

AHi every I tried adding Nutella to this recipe and the texture and consistency went funny like the Nutella didn't mix properly with the frosting?

married2kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
married2kitchen Posted 8 Aug 2014 , 1:35am
post #88 of 103

A[quote name="mamawrobin" url="/t/685989/indydebis-buttercream/30#post_6868504"]Here is my version of Crusting cream cheese icing/Indydebi's buttercream variation.

1 2/3 cups Crisco

1 8 ounce box cream cheese (softened to room temperature)

4 LB. powdered sugar (SIFTED)

6 tablespoons Dream Whip

2 tablespoons vanilla (clear if you need white icing)

1 to 1 1/3 cups milk (I use half and half)

Put Crisco and cream cheese in mixing bowl and whip for 10-15 minutes.

Add about 1 1/2 pounds of the sifted powdered sugar, about 1/2 the milk and Dream Whip and mix until blended. Incorporate the rest of the powdered sugar, another 1/2 cup milk and vanilla. Let whip for at least 20 minutes. You may need to add up to 1/3 cups more milk...maybe even more. Just have to add until it "looks right". I like my icing pretty thick (still spreadable but thick)

I have also added 6 ounces of melted white chocolate to this icing and it is really, really good. It will require more milk if you add the chocolate, just add a teaspoon at a time until it "looks right". I used the icing with white chocolate added for a red velvet cake and it was a great flavor combination.

You can use half butter and half Crisco...I don't because of the heat and humidity in my area. This icing crust very well and will smooth beautifully using the viva method.[/quote

Hi was wondering if this is 1 and 2/3 cup or 2/3 cup crisco?

cheryl terry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheryl terry Posted 9 Aug 2014 , 10:02pm
post #89 of 103

No matter what I do, I cannot get this icing to CRUST.  I even ordered hi ratio shortening, weighed the sugar and used half cream and half coffee creamer, and beat it for the twenty minutes.  This is the thirs time I have made it and it WILL NOT CRUST.

I live in TX and that is why I do not use butter as suggested and ordered the shortening and I have the Kitchen Aid mixer.  I cannot understand why I hear raves about this receipe.  I have been coking for years and never have seen anythingl like this with so many comments saying how terrific it is.

I am making ONE cake for my assistants wedding, and, In fact, I gave the receipe to my assistants cake decorator who is a professional and making the OTHER cake for her wedding and she could not get it to crust either.  

cheryl terry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheryl terry Posted 9 Aug 2014 , 10:03pm
post #90 of 103

I would like to meet the person who asked how she could get it to NOT CRUST so quickly!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%